PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jet sweeps - the new wrinkle in our offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As recently as a couple seasons ago we were running jet sweeps fairly regularly for Edelman. So far, it seems like a way to get Hogan the ball in space when he's being well-covered.

New?

Weis used to call that end-around for Troy Brown and Michael Timpson.

I wouldn't call it new, no.

Weiss ran it as a gadget, not a staple or addition to the offense which is what I'm talking about. I also don't recall Weiss running play action or variations off the sweep play which is what we did this past Sunday.

Edelman has been running jets for years. Do you mean that they might utilize it more?

That is my question, and is something I think they would, to counter other defenses focusing too much over the middle. It essentially forces the defense to stretch.

Ironically, it seems to me that they're also having Gillisee run OZ, stretch plays more often than not- more than we've done in the recent past, I think?

Weiss ran it as a gadget, not a staple or addition to the offense which is what I'm talking about. I also don't recall Weiss running play action or variations off the sweep play which is what we did this past Sunday.

Great thread.

They ran sweeps using 3 different WR's against the Saints. Hogan, Dorsett and Cooks. Both Cooks and Dorsett nearly broke a big play down the sideline so it definitely stretched the Defense imo.

They also used a variation of the end around to set up Burkhead for a big gain.

See plays #3 & 4 in the below video.

Dossetts Sweep is the first play in this video.

I don't think that's right. I don't recall many direct snaps to a receiver in motion. I believe the "jet sweep" is when the receiver getting the handoff is in motion before the play starts. An "end around" is one where the receiver is not in motion before the play starts. I could be wrong, I'm not sure they're clearly defined at all. But a direct snap to a receiver in motion is not something I've seen very often, if ever.

I'm certain they've done direct snaps to Edelman in motion - at least a couple times last season. I think they did at least one with Hogan against KC.

Now, I'm not sure that a direct snap is required for a jet sweep. That may just be a variation the Pats use with Brady in shotgun.

The jet sweep in theory should help hold the DE and will help on off tackle runs with similar motion or screens off that same motion.

As others have said, Edelman has been doing this for the past few seasons.

I only like it if Cooks or Dorsett is running it. Edelman is too slow to run it.

I'm not sure how you see Jules was slow running it.

With that said Cooks and Dorsett are faster players.

I just remember several times against fast defenses Edelman had to make shifty moves to even gain a few yards.

C_t Li__ Qu__kn__s

NO. NO. NO. To your avatar. That's creepy dude. WTF?

NO. NO. NO. To your avatar. That's creepy dude. WTF?
Other that the fact it is a bit strange to have an avatar of a painter who died 23 years ago, whats creepy about Bob Ross?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes