PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jet sweeps - the new wrinkle in our offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
With the absence of Edelman, and the greatly diminished role of Amendola (due to injury) it's become a necessity to move away from the short game, the crossers and rub routes that have been our bread and butter. We should be doing this anyway because other teams are becoming adept at clogging up the middle on us.

Enter the Jet sweep (or variations of the sweep play). Could this be the new bread and butter in our offense? I'd like to think so because the jet sweep is adaptable to play designs such as counters, play actions, and end arounds, and play actions off these end arounds. It takes advantage of the serious speed we have now (Cooks, Dorsett), and keeps the plays relatively simple for them, while still utilizing our OL in complex block schemes (e.g., bubble screens).

Thoughts?

What's a Jet sweep ? :)

It sounds like something every Jet fan dreams about regarding playing the Pats every year.. :)

With the absence of Edelman, and the greatly diminished role of Amendola (due to injury) it's become a necessity to move away from the short game, the crossers and rub routes that have been our bread and butter. We should be doing this anyway because other teams are becoming adept at clogging up the middle on us.

Enter the Jet sweep (or variations of the sweep play). Could this be the new bread and butter in our offense? I'd like to think so because the jet sweep is adaptable to play designs such as counters, play actions, and end arounds, and play actions off these end arounds. It takes advantage of the serious speed we have now (Cooks, Dorsett), and keeps the plays relatively simple for them, while still utilizing our OL in complex block schemes (e.g., bubble screens).

Thoughts?

New?

Weis used to call that end-around for Troy Brown and Michael Timpson.

I wouldn't call it new, no.

New?

Weiss, Brown and Timpson don't have any impact on the "newness" of a play in the 2017 offense. Even if it was done before, even if it was done before by this coaching staff, if it's a new wrinkle for the current players then that's "new" enough in a league where there is rarely any truly new thing under the sun.

Yea with the speed they now have at WR, I would run it at least 3-4 times a game.

Our offense was as unstoppable as ever last year. I'm not sure I see defenses becoming adept at stopping what we do.
We also still have plenty of receivers to utilize a short passing game with.

Thoughts?
It a piece but I wouldn't call it bread and butter.
I'd have to analyze more but my instinct is it replaced the wr screen vs defenses that play a scheme that takes it away.

The Pats ran jet sweeps with Edelman in 2016, 2015, 2014.

The difference between a jet sweep and end-around, IIRC is the the jet sweep is a direct snap to the runner (man in motion), whereas the end around is a handoff from the QB.

The Pats ran jet sweeps with Edelman in 2016, 2015, 2014.

The difference between a jet sweep and end-around, IIRC is the the jet sweep is a direct snap to the runner (man in motion), whereas the end around is a handoff from the QB.

I don't think that's right. I don't recall many direct snaps to a receiver in motion. I believe the "jet sweep" is when the receiver getting the handoff is in motion before the play starts. An "end around" is one where the receiver is not in motion before the play starts. I could be wrong, I'm not sure they're clearly defined at all. But a direct snap to a receiver in motion is not something I've seen very often, if ever.

You weren't paying attention then because we definitely have done direct snaps to wrs running in front of Brady this year a couple of times

It's definitely new and looks odd/different tho

We do need to take advantage of the speed of Dorsett, Cooks, and Hogan. We think of those guys as vertical threats, but they can also be used much more on shallow crosses to get them around the edge. I expect to see more of that, and not necessarily more Jet sweeps, since that can be recognized easier and defended.

they will be developing pass plays off of this formation likely screens to the RB and TE

while WR's are struggling with health, I would be leery of adding to their workload

New?

David Patten ran a whole bunch of these one year.

I love the play. I think its great

New?

Timpson was gone years before Weis became OC

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
"Jet sweep" has become the go to term for media to use to make it sound like they know what they're talking about... Kind of like during the NCAA hoop tourn when analysts who haven't a clue about a team will say... "Coach (insert coach's name) has them playing defense really well. They can really shoot the 3 too"....

Jet sweep is a handoff to the motion man.
End around or reverse is a wr from his normal alignment, after the snap running a reverse.

I also do not recall any direct snaps to wide receivers. If they happened could someone post the play?

Jet sweep is a handoff to the motion man.
End around or reverse is a wr from his normal alignment, after the snap running a reverse.

I also do not recall any direct snaps to wide receivers. If they happened could someone post the play?

A reverse is when the running back gets the ball going one direction and hands to the receiver going the opposite way. An end around is the same action from the wide receiver, looping around into the backfield, but without the running back geting the ball.

Jet sweep is when the receiver starts in motion and takes the handoff from the quarterback immediately after the snap. They are all distinctly different.

"Jet sweep" has become the go to term for media to use to make it sound like they know what they're talking about... Kind of like during the NCAA hoop tourn when analysts who haven't a clue about a team will say... "Coach (insert coach's name) has them playing defense really well. They can really shoot the 3 too"....

A jet sweep, a reverse and an end around are all different. So, no. In this case it isn't the analysts who do not know what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back