PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JC Jackson signs RFA tender

Nobody wanted him at the price they’d have to pay (salary plus draft pick) in a year with tight caps.

not crazy, also not indicative of next year. Remember, next year Jackson will be back on the market, as will Gilmore. So picking a CB high in this draft may not be off the table.
Isn’t that what Williams was drafted for back in 2019?

Bill’s track record on drafting DB has not been great as of late and stashing another unknown CB would be risky.

I just think Bill is going to take a guy that can at least get on the field somewhat this year.

Bill’s track record on drafting DB has not been great as of late and stashing another unknown CB would be risky.

I just think Bill is going to take a guy that can at least get on the field somewhat this year.
Looking back, if we knew that Gilmore, Jackson, and Jones would stay and be healthy, then Williams would not have been drafted by us.

That being said, JMac takes more reps than he does.

After the draft, I could see us re-signing JMac. Does that tell us how little the team thinks of Williams? I think that it does.

You like stashing players, I don’t.
Sometimes it’s necessary so you’re not caught in desperation when the need arises. Pats drafted Nate Solder in the first round when they were already set at the tackle spots (Light and Vollmer) and both were under contract beyond that season as well. Worked out because when Light left for retirement the next year, the team didn’t have to look far for his replacement because they already drafted him the year before. Realistically it’ll likely cost too much to keep both Gilmore and Jackson beyond this season, and the Pats don’t have an obvious replacement on the roster at the moment (Jones is a slot corner, Mills is more effective as a safety, and the jury is still out on Williams after two seasons).

Draft Jaycee Horn at 15 and not only do you have one of your starter spots locked up for next year, you also have your insurance policy in case extension talks hit a snag and Gilmore sits out games this season. Horn would still be involved this season as well, he’s not a guy they’d redshirt. This is a premium talent and not some reach like some of BB’s defensive backs in recent years.

I think you have a disconnect of what players “are drafted for”.
Most players never reach the level of the upside of their draft slot.
Teams don’t have player slots that they draft a guy to put into and then put him in that role outside of the very top guys.
Williams was drafted to compete for a spot in the secondary as a corner, safety or both. The perceived likelihood that he would be successful in doing that was far less than 100% but above average since he was taken in the second round.
But the day after he was drafted perception became irrelevant and he competed for a job.
What we don’t know is whether his limited playing time represents a guy who has developed well but has excellent players in front of him or if he hasn’t progressed and has excellent players in front of him. (Mills signing may be tell tale though)
What seems reasonable is that other players progressed beyond where they were on the day Williams was drafted (Jackson) or stayed despite it seeming they may not (Jones).
But to say he was drafted to replace Gilmore 4 years later is just not understanding how it works.

Looking back, if we knew that Gilmore, Jackson, and Jones would stay and be healthy, then Williams would not have been drafted by us.

After the draft, I could see us re-signing JMac. Does that tell us how little the team thinks of Williams? I think that it does.
The fact that you could see it tells us what the team thinks?

arrogant much?

Williams was drafted to compete for a spot in the secondary as a corner, safety or both. The perceived likelihood that he would be successful in doing that was far less than 100% but above average since he was taken in the second round.
But the day after he was drafted perception became irrelevant and he competed for a job.
But to say he was drafted to replace Gilmore 4 years later is just not understanding how it works.
Bingo! Great example of the common not understanding how it works.

Being on the roster entitles players to compete for the job. It does not entitle them to the job itself.

no matter who they are, no matter whether they arrived via draft or free agency, they have to compete for their job. Or they end up like Wally Pipp. Pipp had a solid career and was one of the best first basemen of his era, but he lost his job to a guy who outperformed him.

Last edited:
Bingo! Great example of the common not understanding how it works.

Being on the roster entitles players to compete for the job. It does not entitle them to the job itself.

no matter who they are, no matter whether they arrived via draft or free agency, they have to compete for their job. Or they end up like Wally Pipp. Pipp had a solid career and was one of the best first basemen of his era, but he lost his job to a guy who outperformed him.
AND coaches and GMs understand this when they make draft choices. They draft a chance

If I'm Jackson, I would be looking for an extension. IF he has a good year, he'll make bank next year, maybe a million or two more than he could expect from an extension now. He hasn't made much money (relatively speaking) as a UDFA.

I'd be looking to lock in some serious guarantees right now. Cornerback is a funny position - and Jackson's physical limitations mean that he's performing at the top of his game right now. CBs get hurt a lot. They also have up and down years, often dramatically.

I'd try to get 8-10/year for 3 years now.

With Jackson and Gilmore beside the others, they've got maybe the best secondary in the league.

To get anywhere, they need to crash through teams like the Chiefs.

So yeah, let's trade Jackson and Gilmore!

Sometimes it’s necessary so you’re not caught in desperation when the need arises. Pats drafted Nate Solder in the first round when they were already set at the tackle spots (Light and Vollmer) and both were under contract beyond that season as well. Worked out because when Light left for retirement the next year, the team didn’t have to look far for his replacement because they already drafted him the year before. Realistically it’ll likely cost too much to keep both Gilmore and Jackson beyond this season, and the Pats don’t have an obvious replacement on the roster at the moment (Jones is a slot corner, Mills is more effective as a safety, and the jury is still out on Williams after two seasons).

Draft Jaycee Horn at 15 and not only do you have one of your starter spots locked up for next year, you also have your insurance policy in case extension talks hit a snag and Gilmore sits out games this season. Horn would still be involved this season as well, he’s not a guy they’d redshirt. This is a premium talent and not some reach like some of BB’s defensive backs in recent years.
We'll see. If a CB is drafted, a Gilmore extension most likely doesn't happen.
I think you have a disconnect of what players “are drafted for”.
Most players never reach the level of the upside of their draft slot.
Teams don’t have player slots that they draft a guy to put into and then put him in that role outside of the very top guys.
What we don’t know is whether his limited playing time represents a guy who has developed well but has excellent players in front of him or if he hasn’t progressed and has excellent players in front of him. (Mills signing may be tell tale though)
What seems reasonable is that other players progressed beyond where they were on the day Williams was drafted (Jackson) or stayed despite it seeming they may not (Jones).
Williams really should've never been drafted in the first place with a secondary already well stocked. I've hated this pick since 2019 and should've been a WR or TE.
I'd try to get 8-10/year for 3 years now.
He can get more than that. Adore Jackson, who was a massive bust in Tennessee, somehow got $13M per year. Shaq Griffin just got $13.3M per year. William Jackson is at $13.5M per year. Trae Waynes is making $14M per year. The most overpaid CB is Byron Jones making $16M per year who is allergic to the football. Darious Slay is making close to $17 per year and is regressing.

Also, his teammate Jonathon Jones is making $7M per year. So you think JC is only worth $1-$3M more per season than him?

Last edited:

JaJuan, Wynn, Harry are definitely on the chopping block.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back