PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is McDaniels too conservative on offense?

Go ahead and refute any of it.
These are facts. It’s ludicrous to say McDaniels has done a poor job.
Here is another fact. Herbert in 2020 was considered an incredible rookie year. The patriots in 2021 scored 78 more points then the 2020 Chargers, had a better red zone % and
scored on 48% of their possessions vs the 2020 Chargers 38%.
So was Jones 2021 way better than Herbert 2020, did Jones have way better weapons or did McDaniels do a damn good job.
At least 1 must be true because the 2021 Patriot offense significantly outperformed the 2020 Charger offense.
This cracks me up, because half of the same forktards that have this MacDaniel fixation follow up with the whole "we can't draft for *****" fixation. Oh and also, anybody on the roster who's new this year are PROOF that Bill the GM spent too much on his wild spending spree, so they have to all be not worth the money too.

One year, then back to the playoffs. We can't say they came back until they come back, but way better than I thought we'd be seeing with the rook.

Tired of Skippy. Plenty of head coaching vacancies this season. Good Luck to him!
Good luck… From all reports Skippy doesn’t want to go anywhere so either BB is retiring soon or there’s no interest for him out there right now… But latest reports have him not interviewing at all for any of the head coaching positions

IMO, this has been McDaniels best season. I am not sure I understand this thread. Mac is a rookie who lacks a big arm. Josh has managed him perfectly all season while also being down his most dynamic play maker in James White and getting almost nothing out of his top paid WR Agahlor and even less out of Smith.

Everything that Mac does wrong, McDaniels is to blame because Mac is already the guy.

All the throwing into double and sometimes triple coverage. All the batted down passes. All the staring down WRs.

All I want to see is a play action pass the first play of the game. The Bills are going to be stacking the box to start, and probably throughout, because they don't give Mac a chance to beat them in the air. I want to see JMD attack on 1st down more. If they hit a couple seam routes or crossers for good YAC in our first drive, it'll dictate the rest of the game - in our favor.

All I want to see is a play action pass the first play of the game. The Bills are going to be stacking the box to start, and probably throughout, because they don't give Mac a chance to beat them in the air. I want to see JMD attack on 1st down more. If they hit a couple seam routes or crossers for good YAC in our first drive, it'll dictate the rest of the game - in our favor.
Week 16 vs Buff (1st series)

NO GAIN1 & 10 - NE 25
(15:00 - 1st) M.Onwenu reported in as eligible. D.Harris right tackle to NE 25 for no gain (H.Phillips).
NO GAIN2 & 10 - NE 25
(14:25 - 1st) M.Jones pass incomplete short middle (G.Rousseau).
NO GAIN3 & 10 - NE 25
(14:20 - 1st) M.Jones sacked at NE 19 for -6 yards (E.Oliver).
PUNT4 & 16 - NE 19
(13:47 - 1st) J.Bailey punts 46 yards to BUF 35 - Center-J.Cardona. M.Stevenson to BUF 39 for 4 yards

I think the Mcdaniels is a formality the job is he if he wants it.

John McLain is pissed. He's posting fast enough that he's just pumping out tweet after tweet. I'm not going to quote from him, because he really is cranking them out, but I'll leave his timeline for anyone who wants to read it in the next couple of hours.

https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL

Yes. Mac is a streaky player. They need him throwing from the get go .... Make your short passing game your running game. They need to be aggressive and not act like these games are like the Superbowl and playing it tight to the vest. We don't have tom brady here waiting for teams to make a mistake. Teams have caught up to mac and are playing every one close to the line of scrimmage. Let mac quick pass like in training camp. Dink and dunk. The int intended for myers is one of their favorite plays. Meanwhile agalor was wide open... Take deep shots earlier in the game
*you want to see him throwing from the get go.

the issue Saturday will be going run, run, pass will inevitably leave Mac Jones with 3d and 8s etc, on road vs a very good defense. if captain conservative won't mix in some first down passes he's not setting up the offense to succeed. just watched the Curran podcast and Cassell is saying exactly what I'm saying. the guys all doubt the Patriots ability to score points. hence, the need for a pick 6 etc....

the issue Saturday will be going run, run, pass will inevitably leave Mac Jones with 3d and 8s etc, on road vs a very good defense. if captain conservative won't mix in some first down passes he's not setting up the offense to succeed. just watched the Curran podcast and Cassell is saying exactly what I'm saying. the guys all doubt the Patriots ability to score points. hence, the need for a pick 6 etc....
I think this is totally the wrong reading. And there are reasons why BB is so conservative. It's the best path for victory - its probably the only path for victory.

Imagine that the Pats come out - frustrate Allen - goad him into a few bad throws. They get a pick or two - set up the offense for an easy touchdown and an easy field goal. Then Mac Jones manages some safe but not incredibly productive drives - lots of dinks and dunks - 3 and 4 yard runs with an occasional good run. Lots of short passes and reverses - and they tack on another touchdown and field goal.

This is the Patriots path to victory. This is how basically they won their 10 games this season - conservative offense that makes not that many mistakes and a defense that keeps the Patriots in the game.

OTOH we have never seen Mac come out all gunslinger and throw for 400 yards and 4 touchdowns like a Tom Brady. The problem with putting more pressure on Mac is that more risk lead to more mistakes. And mistakes will put the Patriots behind - forcing Mac to press more while the defense is sitting on it. Mac has not proven he can win NFL games this way.

You win the way you have won - not the way that makes for amazing headlines. BB gets this and you can expect the Pats to be mostly conservative - with maybe a trick play with Jacoby or something like that.

I think this is totally the wrong reading. And there are reasons why BB is so conservative. It's the best path for victory - its probably the only path for victory.

Imagine that the Pats come out - frustrate Allen - goad him into a few bad throws. They get a pick or two - set up the offense for an easy touchdown and an easy field goal. Then Mac Jones manages some safe but not incredibly productive drives - lots of dinks and dunks - 3 and 4 yard runs with an occasional good run. Lots of short passes and reverses - and they tack on another touchdown and field goal.

This is the Patriots path to victory. This is how basically they won their 10 games this season - conservative offense that makes not that many mistakes and a defense that keeps the Patriots in the game.

OTOH we have never seen Mac come out all gunslinger and throw for 400 yards and 4 touchdowns like a Tom Brady. The problem with putting more pressure on Mac is that more risk lead to more mistakes. And mistakes will put the Patriots behind - forcing Mac to press more while the defense is sitting on it. Mac has not proven he can win NFL games this way.

You win the way you have won - not the way that makes for amazing headlines. BB gets this and you can expect the Pats to be mostly conservative - with maybe a trick play with Jacoby or something like that.
Then we will lose.
It’s the playoffs as Belichick said starting from square one.
I see the best path of victory is to be unpredictable and to play a game they are not ready for.
We need to see what Mac can do with the ball in his hands.
On defense i like the zone with a dedicated spy on Allen.
If Jamie Collins does nothing else but spies Allen the entire game I will be happy with not seeing him run for a back breaking 3rd and long conversion.
With Mills more than likely out, we will be relying on some secondary trickery to even the score.
Last game Macenzie killed us.
I still don’t trust Allen can read a defense properly so I love the not getting into our play til directly before or after the snap.
If Allen needs 4 to 5 seconds to read the defense I like our chance to interrupt the pass play.

I have no idea why fans want the entire game plan to be centralized on Mac to throw more when he is clearly injured/rookie wall, not playing well and grew up in FL and will be playing in 0 degree weather.

NEP have run for almost 370yds yds on BUF in 2 games.

Ride it.

The real key to victory is to play better defense in the clutch, tighten up on coverage, set the edge and stay disciplined in the running/scrambling lanes, clean up special teams and don't make untimely stupid-ass mistakes.

Last edited:
Everything that Mac does wrong, McDaniels is to blame because Mac is already the guy.

All the throwing into double and sometimes triple coverage. All the batted down passes. All the staring down WRs.
I agree. I mean Mac just had one of the best seasons ever for a rookie and we are ripping McD? I don't get it. In the last 3 games we lost, the defense failed to get a stop at the end that would have allowed the offense a chance to win the game at the end. It really has been the defense that has been a disappointment this year and Bill's son has had an awful season IMO.

I see a lot of these post. I understand where they're coming from but I think it's important to note that Mac has the ability to audible - check out and has more than enough freedom to take advantage of what coverage is in front of him. We've seen Mac do it and get praised. Both guys have admitted he has the freedom.
I've also seen post, obviously not yours, not putting words in your mouth. Blame Josh when Mac throws an INT. I just think it's important we keep 100 when discussing this stuff.

In one breathe we're admitting Mac is having a great season for a rookie. And he is. And another saying Josh sucks, he can't call plays or is too conservative or w/e the blame is at the time. I suppose Mac could be good in spite of Josh but some of the best in the business. Both small and big media have nothing but praise for Josh.

It’s

Maybe we get Nelson to rework his deal.
I’m hoping his contract had alot of incentives he needed to hit.
Paying him more than 4 million is a ski mask type robbery of Robert Kraft.
Why will he rework when he knows he is not going to get another pay day like this.

Do you want to sign agholor for another 2 years at say 4 million a year. Doubt if he accepts that . We are due 10 million for him next year and that's minimum over pay of like six million .

Or extend him to 3 years 20 with 13 million guaranteed and take a 4 million hit and trade him to some other team. But not sure how he will agree to that when he knows that his last contract was 2 /24.

He will try to perform the best next year . So let's hope he does well next season else he is losing millions in next contract.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back