PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is McDaniels too conservative on offense?

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Seems in most of these losses it's the same recipe.

Conservative offense not going for it then get behind big. Then they start letting Mac throw the ball and run the hurry up and we get back in the game only for the defense to blow it.

I get Mac is a rookie but he has shown the ability to get us back into these games against the colts, Miami, bill, cowboys. Now, the offense has put us in some of these situations. But if we go for it on 4th and 1 maybe we score a field goal and then the game is tied rather than relying on your defense to play flawless

If we play more agressive early I do wonder if we would have won some of these games. Almost seems like they are managing the game to a fault where any mistake by the offense will kill them because they expect to win 20-17.

If we want to win in buffalo next weekend I think we need to come out the gate swinging and put it on the bills to respond.

No. I'm saying this as someone that is critical of him at times. *Bolden up the middle when you need a yard why?!!* But overall he is fine... Also, you can thank belichick for not going for it. He can overrule that decision if he wants.

Yes. Mac is a streaky player. They need him throwing from the get go .... Make your short passing game your running game. They need to be aggressive and not act like these games are like the Superbowl and playing it tight to the vest. We don't have tom brady here waiting for teams to make a mistake. Teams have caught up to mac and are playing every one close to the line of scrimmage. Let mac quick pass like in training camp. Dink and dunk. The int intended for myers is one of their favorite plays. Meanwhile agalor was wide open... Take deep shots earlier in the game

1 year of not making the playoffs? A few years since our last SB win? I CAN'T STAND IT!!
6th in points
9th in 1st downs
14th in passing yds
8th is rushing yards
12th in QB rating
10th in pass plays 20+ yds
11th in offensive TDs.

...all with a rookie Qb.

Josh is not the problem. Christ.

Based on the entire body of work is asinine.
Its a great body but the nfl has caught onto mac and jds tendencies. Id like to see the breakdown of points by quarter. One of the hugest things that has hurt the team is lack of turnovers and specifically defensive scores.

If they start the first quarter with run run pass it aint going to bode well. Teams have seen the tape. One of the favorite routes is the out route to myers. No wonder it got picked.

Since the bye defenses has crowded the line. The colts even publicized it. Take away the run and prove mac can beat us. You got loosen up the defense over the top and not to harry

Its a great body but the nfl has caught onto mac and jds tendencies. Id like to see the breakdown of points by quarter. One of the hugest things that has hurt the team is lack of turnovers and specifically defensive scores.
NE ended the season tied for 3rd in takeaways with 30.

I love Josh to the point of composing ballads and sonnets in his honor here at Patsfans. And yet, I do think he has been too conservative at times. But I still love him. He is the wind beneath my wings (sorry Bette).

@PatsFanInVa it might be time for more poetry 'round these parts.

I think mcdaniels is trying to play the hand he was dealt, the best possible way he can!

1.) rookie qb
2.) worst group of mostly slow receivers in the nfl
3.) tight end/fire hydrant smith
4.) season ending injury to white

The one complaint I do have is that our offense to totally predictable and defenses are jumping routes We need to expand the playbook some for the playoff game.

I think mcdaniels is trying to play the hand he was dealt, the best possible way he can!

1.) rookie qb
2.) worst group of mostly slow receivers in the nfl
3.) tight end/fire hydrant smith
4.) season ending injury to white

The one complaint I do have is that our offense to totally predictable and defenses are jumping routes We need to expand the playbook some for the playoff game.
So far we're seeing some things that the league-surpassing Pats didnt have to do. We rested starters, frinstance, once we were in. Then again, there used to usually be something on the line - HFA, 1st round bye, things like that.

Will the playbook be most extensive in the first year? No. Will we need to look conservative when we know that our run game is stronger than pass game, and our defense is the stronger unit between it and the offense? Yeah.

Do I think guys in here are better OCs than Josh McDaniel? No. If they were, why would they be here rather than running the joint?

PS, they said a few times during the broadcast, Josh M. had 3 very different jobs these last 3 years -- Brady, Cam, Mac & co. Interesting perspective. But then, they didn't do what makes Cam shine, ditch the playoffs and make us Cam Newton's backup band. Ok work, gotta go

Seems in most of these losses it's the same recipe.

Conservative offense not going for it then get behind big. Then they start letting Mac throw the ball and run the hurry up and we get back in the game only for the defense to blow it.

I get Mac is a rookie but he has shown the ability to get us back into these games against the colts, Miami, bill, cowboys. Now, the offense has put us in some of these situations. But if we go for it on 4th and 1 maybe we score a field goal and then the game is tied rather than relying on your defense to play flawless

If we play more agressive early I do wonder if we would have won some of these games. Almost seems like they are managing the game to a fault where any mistake by the offense will kill them because they expect to win 20-17.

If we want to win in buffalo next weekend I think we need to come out the gate swinging and put it on the bills to respond.
Most games we fall behind are because of turnovers, often Ints. More aggressive means more mistakes.
I think the fact that we are #2 in the NFL in the % of drives ending in scores with a rookie Qb says the conservative/aggressive line is about right.
You imply that you can just create points and “put it on them to respond” just by taking chances, but you may also end up like last week with a pick 6 and in a deep hole.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back