SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Giants
Thu
Aug 29th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Strong Showing
Another dominating defensive performance by the Patriots as they continue to look strong during their win Thursday night over Carolina.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Incognito suspended indefinitely by Dolphins

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by ctpatsfan77, Nov 3, 2013.

1. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48,226
    Quite a few people disagree with you. The word has actually lost a lot of it's power as well, due to people no longer taking it as seriously as you seem to take it. That doesn't excuse it being used in a derogatory manner, mind you. But that word is no longer exclusively used that way.

2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30,599
    Few people realize that it drew from "niger," the Latin word for black, and originally wasn't intended or used as a pejorative. Somehow along the way it got a really negative connotation.

3. PP2

PP2 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +10,525
    There is absolutely nothing good about a word that classifies you by the color of your skin.

4. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,226
    So, by that logic, we should stop calling white people "white". What do we call them then?

5. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30,599
    Flesh-colored. :cool:

6. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,226
    I was thinking about maybe "blanks", but I like your suggestion better.

7. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,246
    But hair color is OK?

Beaten like a red-headed step child

Some animals are more equal than others

8. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,226
    PP2 is an otherwise excellent poster, but I don't think he thought that post through. He just walked into the message board equivalent of a haymaker.

9. PP2

Ratings:
    +10,525
    I understand where you're coming from, so let me rephrase since there might be a few instances in life where we would need to refer to people by color or race; surely there is a better word than "nigger?"

The word "white" used to refer to caucasian people is far less derogatory than the word "nigger" being used to refer to black people, don't you think?

10. shmessy

shmessy . PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22,285
    You're all still whiffing on the actual subject.

Incognito did not call Martin a "n*****" on that voicemail.

He used a different full term which is used by BOTH whites and blacks (hence the black players on the Dolphins not reportedly having a problem with the voicemail) to ostracize some people as 'half breeds'.......just after stating that he was 'still just a rookie'.

I don't think the racial aspect of the story is central anyhow. The issue revovles around whether the player was being ostracized in his work environment. If both white players and black players in that lockerroom were calling him a "half-n****" and claiming he was still just a "rookie" in his second year, it doesn't seem as if that work environment was welcoming to this player.

Whether or not that is grounds for anything else is for the Dolphins, the NFL and NFLPA to decide.

11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,226
    You're moving the goal posts.

Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. It depends on the context and the connotation it's being used in. Sometimes, depending on the context, the words "white" and "black" can have a negative connotation. Same thing with the N-word. Sometimes it can have a positive connotation nowadays. This isn't the 60's anymore where that word only has one single connotation.

12. PP2

Ratings:
    +10,525
    Don't think I am moving the goalpost when I readily admit going off on an useless tangent (and as you said, I didn't think that post through).

Perhaps I am wrong in the bigger picture; I just don't see any value in using the word "n****." It may not be as negative as it used to be but I just don't see anything positive about its usage.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  13. Fencer

Fencer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +5,132
    The real issues here evidently start that Martin was under pressure for being different, and he snapped. Both the "Big Weirdo" nickname and the "half-nigger" phrase are evidence that he was identified as being different, and not in a good way.

The whole bullying/just-kidding-around narrative fits into that way of framing things. So does the fact that he finally snapped at a minor prank communicating rejection. So does the story about him paying for a bonding-exercise/raucous-fun trip he didn't go on.

Incognito and the Dolphins are or aren't in trouble to the extent that the pressure placed on Martin was excessive.

14. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,246
    I for one will NOT be using the word

15. Brady'sArmy

Brady'sArmy Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +28
    you are changing goal posts, in no where was the discussion limited to hazing in boot camp only. we were discussing hazing in military.

16. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +23,460

Yep, the league has a big problem on their hands because the Riley Cooper incident essentially set a bar that a vast majority of NFL players won't be able to clear. And trying to evaluate what really happened in the dolphins lockerroom from the outside is next to impossible. I won't defend Incognito because he's a dirtball but I would guess that his behavior was widely accepted in the context of the dolphins lockerroom, otherwise we would have heard about it long long ago. In the end I believe that it was actually Micheal Irvin who had it right when during the Riley Cooper incident he said that he was having real trouble judging Cooper because he and his friends and peers were singing and using the n word over and over at a youth basketball tourney they attended just before the Cooper incident blew up. He was basically saying that the use of it in their circles was widely accepted and that to pass judgement on it he would have to apply the standards equally, which has never been the case. Bottom line, this story is rife with hypocrisy and so loaded with context as to make it almost impossible to decipher from the outside, and i am really not sure that there are any answers for it as I just don't see culture being legislated on the whole, although they will try to legislate it within the context of lockerroms of they can.

I have never had a high opinion of Incognito and never will however i have to admit that I am also having a real problem with Martin in this case because he should have called bullsh.t long ago and called out Incognito, if that didn't work then take it to the coaches and front office and make it clear that he wasn't going to take it. Only then should he have taken it outside of the organization, and if that was his first step instead of the last one in a process then he certainly bears a good deal of responsibility for how this has played out. He's a grown man, not a child being bullied on a playground and as a man he should have taken a stand and made his case. No-one should have to take that kind of abuse, but grown-ups have a responsibility to stand up for themselves, at least imo.

17. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48,186
    ESPN Host: 'I Use N-Word All Day Every Day'

18. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +48,186
    6 p.m. update: Martin speaks; Investigation heads south; Ex-Canes assess D'Onofrio | Sports Buzz

19. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +48,186
    Martin decided to exclude NFLPA from meeting with Wells | ProFootballTalk

20. Zeus

Zeus PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,694
    The wisest course of action.

What is communicated is not what is said, but what is heard. Once you've said something, people can and will interpret it any way they chose.

So anyone using the term runs the risk of offending others even if that is not their intention. Why bother taking that risk? Whatever Incognito's intentions were, life for him would be a good bit simpler right now if he had not said what he said. That's life.