Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who is your preferred WR acquisition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Strange is no prize and Andrews is now injury prone. I'll take a top 5 center or a long armed,6'5" plus left tackle. This line needs MAJOR work. Onwenu is our best, most reliable lineman and we got him in the 6th round.Bill has a good eye for OL talent when he isn't talked out of it by his zipperhead scouts
Strange started the third most offensive starts on the team, assuming health and development he has Pro Bowler written all over him. Andrews getting injured last year doesn't automatically equate to injury prone, he played every game the season prior and Kody Russey behind his is uber talented. Onwenu needs to be extended after this season, but they have plenty of money to spend. They should draft an OT in this upcoming draft, maybe two. I completely agree with you there.

Strange started the third most offensive starts on the team, assuming health and development he has Pro Bowler written all over him. Andrews getting injured last year doesn't automatically equate to injury prone, he played every game the season prior and Kody Russey behind his is uber talented. Onwenu needs to be extended after this season, but they have plenty of money to spend. They should draft an OT in this upcoming draft, maybe two. I completely agree with you there.
making starts and FINISHING strong are two different things. I assume YOU watched every game last season...the last quarter of the season Strange was a punching bag

making starts and FINISHING strong are two different things. I assume YOU watched every game last season...the last quarter of the season Strange was a punching bag
I didn't see that at all, I saw a unit that was a victim of Matt Patricia's incompetence along with every other offensive player. I thought Strange improved as the season went on.

When opposing defenders know the plays and are calling them out prior to the snap, the line is at a massive disadvantage. If I had to pin one thing on Trent Brown's excessively high false start penalties last season it was that. Defenders were getting a jump because they knew the upcoming play. Strange looks like a plug and play player for a long time assuming health.

I didn't see that at all, I saw a unit that was a victim of Matt Patricia's incompetence along with every other offensive player. I thought Strange improved as the season went on.

When opposing defenders know the plays and are calling them out prior to the snap, the line is at a massive disadvantage. If I had to pin one thing on Trent Brown's excessively high false start penalties last season it was that. Defenders were getting a jump because they knew the upcoming play. Strange looks like a plug and play player for a long time assuming health.
I don't disagree with your take...I do disagree with taking Strange with a 1st round pick when you have a guy head and shoulders at the other guard position that you invested a SIXTH round pick in. In other words, Strange is no Mankins by any stretch.I'm hoping the BOB's influence this season on both the play and talent selection for our OL plays out like I think it will.

Now that the Cooks trade details are there for comparison.
I have a feeling and hoping a DHop deal will get done soon.
Both owed 18-19 million. Cooks age 29-DHop 30
Arizona could pick up 6-7 million like Texans did and a 3rd or 4th or take someone like Parker and a 4th or 5th which would free up 6-7 million
Then redue DHop contract to a 3 year contract since he has 2 years remaining on his current contract
Wishful thinking, I trully want a difference maker on Offense for a change.

I don't disagree with your take...I do disagree with taking Strange with a 1st round pick when you have a guy head and shoulders at the other guard position that you invested a SIXTH round pick in. In other words, Strange is no Mankins by any stretch.I'm hoping the BOB's influence this season on both the play and talent selection for our OL plays out like I think it will.
Joe Thuney was a third rounder, Tom Brady was a 6th... there are good players taken over the entire draft. If they did a re-draft Thuney would be taken in the first round that year. Where you get drafted doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is how you play.

Strange is no prize and Andrews is now injury prone. I'll take a top 5 center or a long armed,6'5" plus left tackle. This line needs MAJOR work. Onwenu is our best, most reliable lineman and we got him in the 6th round.Bill has a good eye for OL talent when he isn't talked out of it by his zipperhead scouts

My main point was both Andrews and Strange are confirmed starters at their respective positions going into the season. Right about Onwenu, but he has bounced around a bit between guard and tackle. I wouldn't call Andrews injury prone, at least not yet. And I expect Strange to improve on his rookie campaign which wasn't bad.

The alleged "need" for a star "impact" WR has been WAY overstated.
It isn't though. I wrote about this before in my thread but the importance of top tier WRs or TE can't be overstated.

Cincinnati - Chase
Miami - Hill
Buffalo - Diggs
Philly - Brown
Vegas - Adams
KC - Kelce
Arizona - Hop
Rams - Kupp
Detroit - St Brown
Vikings - Jefferson
Seattle - Metcalf
SF - Kittle/Deebo
Tampa - Evans
LAC - Williams/Allen
Dallas - Lamb

Not an exact list but those are most of the top tier targets in the league. Top 5-15 points scored, total/passing yards, scoring offenses.

You'll find You see the best QB's in the league or teams like Detroit, Minnesota, SF, Seattle, Mia etc load up on premiere players, one way or another - trade, draft.

You either have a legit top 5-8 QB. In most cases you still need targets. Look at Allen, Herbert etc or you stack your offense up like a SF, Mia etc

Another thing that stands out almost immediately is the amount of 1B/WR2 there are that are borderline WR1. Devonta Smith, Waddle, Williams or Allen take your pick, DK & Lockett, Aiyuk & Deebo. I could go on - St Brown & Hock and maybe Jamo Williams. Jefferson and AT (obviously not anymore)

So most teams aren't just trying to get a real WR1. They're making it a point to spend valuable resources on WR2 through draft or trade (Mia, SF, Det, Phila etc)

We don't have a top 10 QB and don't have top tier targets. If/When AR gets traded to the jete we'll have arguably the worst QB in the division and the worst group of overall targets. That sounds dramatic but its actually pretty on point if we're being objective.

I think most fans are right to want more or better in that department. Especially after spending the way we did on WR/TE recently. This isn't asking to trade for Fitzgerald when we have Moss and Brady or something like that.

Wishful thinking, I trully want a difference maker on Offense for a change.
a true “difference maker on offense” will be an upgrade for the OL. Especially at OT.

It isn't though. I wrote about this before in my thread but the importance of top tier WRs or TE can't be overstated.

Cincinnati - Chase
Miami - Hill
Buffalo - Diggs
Philly - Brown
Vegas - Adams
KC - Kelce
Arizona - Hop
Rams - Kupp
Detroit - St Brown
Vikings - Jefferson
Seattle - Metcalf
SF - Kittle/Deebo
Tampa - Evans
LAC - Williams/Allen
Dallas - Lamb

Not an exact list but those are most of the top tier targets in the league. Top 5-15 points scored, total/passing yards, scoring offenses.

You'll find You see the best QB's in the league or teams like Detroit, Minnesota, SF, Seattle, Mia etc load up on premiere players, one way or another - trade, draft.

You either have a legit top 5-8 QB. In most cases you still need targets. Look at Allen, Herbert etc or you stack your offense up like a SF, Mia etc

Another thing that stands out almost immediately is the amount of 1B/WR2 there are that are borderline WR1. Devonta Smith, Waddle, Williams or Allen take your pick, DK & Lockett, Aiyuk & Deebo. I could go on - St Brown & Hock and maybe Jamo Williams. Jefferson and AT (obviously not anymore)

So most teams aren't just trying to get a real WR1. They're making it a point to spend valuable resources on WR2 through draft or trade (Mia, SF, Det, Phila etc)

We don't have a top 10 QB and don't have top tier targets. If/When AR gets traded to the jete we'll have arguably the worst QB in the division and the worst group of overall targets. That sounds dramatic but its actually pretty on point if we're being objective.

I think most fans are right to want more or better in that department. Especially after spending the way we did on WR/TE recently. This isn't asking to trade for Fitzgerald when we have Moss and Brady or something like that.

You take issue with my statement while in the same breath making it either/or involving tight ends, which by definition aren't the same animal. Your premise is that absent a top-five quarterback an elite world-beating wide receiver OR TIGHT END is required for a team to be championship caliber. Of course, that sure makes it easier but I wouldn't say mandatory in the right context.

The alternative context would be a top-10ish, heady QB working with an array of capable No. 2-level WRs and TEs alongside a top-tier running game, all supported by solid defense. It's still a team game in this respect and I think that's what the Patriots are shooting for. Unless, of course, they get lucky snagging an elite WR in the draft.

Recent league history is littered with examples of elite QBs with elite receivers falling short. Pats fans need look no further than SB 42.

Last edited:
You take issue with my statement while in the same breath making it either/or involving tight ends, which by definition aren't the same animal. Your premise is that without a top-five quarterback an elite world-beating wide receiver OR TIGHT END is required for a team to be championship caliber. Of course, that sure makes it easier but I wouldn't say mandatory in the right context.

That alternative context would be a top-10ish, heady QB working with an array of capable No. 2-level WRs and TEs alongside a top-tier running game, all supported by solid defense. It's still a team game in that respect and I think that's what the Patriots are shooting for. Unless, of course, they get lucky snagging an elite WR in the draft.

Recent league history is littered with examples of elite QBs with elite receivers falling short. Pats fans need look no further than SB 42.
Good points. I would rather go deep in the playoffs and then fail instead of not getting there at all however.

I believe in Mac and think he will be very good but he needs more help at WR.

Pats haven't had a #1 since Edelman. Doesn't seem like they will anytime soon either. Poor Mac.
If the D hop information actually materializes then we'd have our number 1 and juju 2..

Good points. I would rather go deep in the playoffs and then fail instead of not getting there at all however.

I believe in Mac and think he will be very good but he needs more help at WR.
I also believe in Mac, Charlie Weiss said something that made me think he mentioned that Mac was drafted becuase he reminds the organization of brady.. so many aspects of his mentality, his game.. he mentioned this on his interview with WEEI..

Mentioned in another thread, we have a pretty competent stable of pass catchers I dont see us acquiring another WR unless Parker or Bourne are exiting which I also don't see. I think Bill likes parker alot more than this board and hes a poor man Dhop.

Juju
Bourne
Parker
Thornton
Geseki
Henry
Rham
Jrob

Lots of mouths to feed on this offense. Id absolutely love Dhop here, just dont see it happening. I think 14 is going to the CB position maybe a flyer on a WR in the middle rounds but dont see that number 1 walking through the doors.

Like I mentioned before, pretty much all SB winning teams have a #1 receiver (TE/WR/ or RB in the case of '18 Pats) that was homegrown. Draft for me. There are exceptions, but it's surprisingly rare but debatable nonetheless as to who the #1 is for those cases.

i would rather judy but if hopkins comes cheap then im ok with that this team has not drafted a wr since edeleman and myers was a fa.. so i lack faith in thier drafting abilities

Mentioned in another thread, we have a pretty competent stable of pass catchers I dont see us acquiring another WR unless Parker or Bourne are exiting which I also don't see. I think Bill likes parker alot more than this board and hes a poor man Dhop.

Juju
Bourne
Parker
Thornton
Geseki
Henry
Rham
Jrob

Lots of mouths to feed on this offense. Id absolutely love Dhop here, just dont see it happening. I think 14 is going to the CB position maybe a flyer on a WR in the middle rounds but dont see that number 1 walking through the doors.
My hunch is as much as I wouldn't want it.. Bourne would be the odd man out due to his contract and he's going into his final year.. I believe he signed a 3y deal if I'm correct? That would be my guess.. Parker is still under contract for next season so I'd love to have this problem of too much talent. If it means getting D hope or potentially juedy.. then my gut says it's Bourne..

IF we get Jerry Jeudy are in competing mode. :cool:

Juju
Bourne
Parker
Thornton
Geseki
Henry
Rham
Jrob

I really hope T Thornton makes the Second year jump because that would put Parker so far down the depth chart he would literally be in the stands. Really hope D Parker gets Traded on Draft Day he doesn't fit our Offense he's no threat.

If a WR is truly impact, why is another team going to give him up? If team X has an impact WR, do we want to pay the king's ransom it'll take to get him? Dhop is probably the best option that won't cost the moon, but Randy Moss for a 4th isn't out there right now. I'd rather take Johnston at 14.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back