Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who is your preferred WR acquisition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Starting to think Juedy may not be available but he'd be my first choice. Draft as a fall back.

Pats haven't had a #1 since Edelman. Doesn't seem like they will anytime soon either. Poor Mac.

Honestly less than 8 games.

But what I saw was very good separation, good route running and having the coordination to catch less than perfectly thrown balls.
As well as being able to make those toe tap catches a lot of receivers struggle with.
All the makings of a number 1 is there.

As far as Hyatt you either have Jaylen waddle who’s blowing past coverage at the next level or Philip Dorestt who was faster than everyone he faced in school but once coming to the NFL didn’t develop his tool box to go against defenders as athletic as him.

I’d take the safe bet in Jeudy.
Give our first if we got a third back.
Ideally we trade down to around 20 picking up another second rounder and trade a pick in the 20s vs 14.
Don’t see it. I would be willing to look at those same less than 8 games that you studied him on all22 and see if I see the same.
But you are talking about an incremental improvement over one of the 4 we already have. I don’t see that as worth a 1st or 2nd with 1 year on his contract. (Nor 2)
Id prefer him to Parker but not if I have to give away high picks.
We need those picks to use in other areas that have more room to improve

how bout anyone better than what they currently have, which is a bunch of 2s and 3s at best. since we're playing in fantasyland and we know (perhaps he'll prove me/us wrong) Bill the GM won't splash the cash for a big time WR (and it doesn't sound like they even have enough cap room for anyone), I'll go ahead....give me Randy Moss 07, Justin Jefferson, or Stefon Diggs.
There's no getting out of this barring some miraculous trade. Bill the GM put the team in this position by drafting bums like NKeal Harry and signing flotsam and jetsam like Agholor, Bourne and Parker. Bill the GM is ridiculously average to paying WRs #1 WR $. Bill the Coach still thinks it's 1991 and you can win with 20 points per game, great defense, and special teams.
Brady willed this team to 12 wins throwing to guys like Austin Collie, Kenbrell Thompkins, and Aaron Dobson, 3/4 of Amendola, and less than half of Gronkowski.
Bill the GM and Bill the Coach have taken this team from the class of the NFL to a team bordering on laughingstock that gets booted from prime time games. What's changed ? The guy calling the shots no longer has the greatest of all time to mask his eff ups

how bout anyone better than what they currently have, which is a bunch of 2s and 3s at best. since we're playing in fantasyland and we know (perhaps he'll prove me/us wrong) Bill the GM won't splash the cash for a big time WR (and it doesn't sound like they even have enough cap room for anyone), I'll go ahead....give me Randy Moss 07, Justin Jefferson, or Stefon Diggs.
There's no getting out of this barring some miraculous trade. Bill the GM put the team in this position by drafting bums like NKeal Harry and signing flotsam and jetsam like Agholor, Bourne and Parker. Bill the GM is ridiculously average to paying WRs #1 WR $. Bill the Coach still thinks it's 1991 and you can win with 20 points per game, great defense, and special teams.
Brady willed this team to 12 wins throwing to guys like Austin Collie, Kenbrell Thompkins, and Aaron Dobson, 3/4 of Amendola, and less than half of Gronkowski.
Bill the GM and Bill the Coach have taken this team from the class of the NFL to a team bordering on laughingstock that gets booted from prime time games. What's changed ? The guy calling the shots no longer has the greatest of all time to mask his eff ups
I’m so glad that you turned yet another conversation in a BB/Brady credit argument. I wasn’t really sure where you stood on that. Maybe if you repeat another 1000 times we will know your stance.

Many Pats fans still believe that the Pats need to acquire an “impact” WR, to complete their current receiver crew. Who is your preferred option?
None of the above. I don’t think the Pats need to add an impact WR. I think they need to let the ones they have do their job to the best they can, and they’ll have adequate impact. Bourne in particular seems capable of much more than he was allowed to do last season.

Don’t see it. I would be willing to look at those same less than 8 games that you studied him on all22 and see if I see the same.
But you are talking about an incremental improvement over one of the 4 we already have. I don’t see that as worth a 1st or 2nd with 1 year on his contract. (Nor 2)
Id prefer him to Parker but not if I have to give away high picks.
We need those picks to use in other areas that have more room to improve
Wait, so you eye tested him but are preferring he have a roster spot over the only split end on the roster?

Quentin stood out to me whenever I watched him play. I can imagine the big plays hed allow us.

I don't think a big trade move is coming. They'd have to expend a lot of draft capital and, while WR is a need, the market isn't great for them this year.

They'll probably draft a guy but it won't be with 14. I think the most we can hope for is that Thornton make a huge second year leap with a real OC.

This rebuild is going to take another two or three years.

Hopkins and a 1st round WR…that would also make Thornton obsolete. What’s your opinion of him?

That doesn’t make Thornton obsolete at all, you need at least 4 good WR’s in todays NFL, and you want them to bring different strengths to create mismatches. If they did get Hopkins I could see trading back and taking Zay Flowers, as he would give them a WR that can get open instantly, as Welker/ Edelman did for Brady. What the Patriots need more than anything now I’d the ability to put up 30 points plus against the high scoring teams they will face, as well as the ability to keep opposing offenses off the field, and Mac Jones with last year’s receiving corps isn’t going to get that done. I like their defense, their run game, and their ST’s should be good, but they need a higher scoring and more explosive passing game to be able to keep pace against teams like the Chef’s, Bills, Bengals, and great defenses, like S.F.

I don't think a big trade move is coming. They'd have to expend a lot of draft capital and, while WR is a need, the market isn't great for them this year.

They'll probably draft a guy but it won't be with 14. I think the most we can hope for is that Thornton make a huge second year leap with a real OC.

My understanding is that Hopkins is going for a 2nd, and that’s a really reasonable price for one of the best WR’s in football.

Wait, so you eye tested him but are preferring he have a roster spot over the only split end on the roster?
I see Parker as our 4th

That doesn’t make Thornton obsolete at all, you need at least 4 good WR’s in todays NFL, and you want them to bring different strengths to create mismatches. If they did get Hopkins I could see trading back and taking Zay Flowers, as he would give them a WR that can get open instantly, as Welker/ Edelman did for Brady. What the Patriots need more than anything now I’d the ability to put up 30 points plus against the high scoring teams they will face, as well as the ability to keep opposing offenses off the field, and Mac Jones with last year’s receiving corps isn’t going to get that done. I like their defense, their run game, and their ST’s should be good, but they need a higher scoring and more explosive passing game to be able to keep pace against teams like the Chef’s, Bills, Bengals, and great defenses, like S.F.
If that doesn't make him obsolete...then where do the snaps come from ?

1. Deandre Hopkins
2. DeVante Parker
3. JuJu Smith-Schuster
4. Kendrick Bourne
5. 1st round WR possibly Zay Flowers
6. Tyquan Thornton

Thornton making a jump
Juju is a big upgrade over Meyers
Parker being healthier
Bourne getting more playing time.
There is a lot of room for much better results at WR

I don’t think “ hoping” is a good approach to this season. This is year #4 of their rebuild, and they have to make the jump to contender now, not 2 years from now. They have build a good solid team overall, but now they have to make a move to become a good playoff caliber team. I’m not saying they have to be as good as the Chiefs, Bengals, Eagles, but they need to be able to really compete with them, and not get blown off the field in the first half. That’s a reasonable expectation for their 4th season after Brady, but they would still need to make the jump to serious Lombardi contender for the 2024 season and beyond. And regardless of all of their moves Mac Jones is going to have to make a really big jump in his play this season, or none of their moves on offense will matter.

1. Deandre Hopkins
2. DeVante Parker
3. JuJu Smith-Schuster
4. Kendrick Bourne
6. Tyquan Thornton
I don’t think they will add Hopkins and a first round pick at receiver I would expect it’s one or the other. Thornton was higher on the depth chart than Bourne for a lot of the season so I see Thornton as closer to 4 than 6. Combine that with how injury prone Parker has been I’d expect Thornton to get enough snaps to develop.

1. Deandre Hopkins
2. DeVante Parker
3. JuJu Smith-Schuster
4. Kendrick Bourne
6. Tyquan Thornton

I expect Thornton to be on the other side from Hopkins, and Parker to be the one battling for more reps, as he’s a possession receiver and so is Hopkins. But you still need depth and redundancy at the different positions. If they did end up with Flowers I would expect him to be battling Bourne for reps.

1. Deandre Hopkins
2. DeVante Parker
3. JuJu Smith-Schuster
4. Kendrick Bourne
6. Tyquan Thornton

I just realized I had left Smith-Schuster out, so in that case either Bourne or Parker would be on the trading block.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back