OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who is your preferred WR acquisition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you add a #1 to that all of a sudden everyone falls into place.

So what #1 is out there to be had?

Hopkins?- Apparently they want too much and his contract is an issue

Jeudy?- If the report is true Pats apparently offered a 2nd & 4th and they said no. Would rather use 14 on JSN of Johnson or trade down a little and take Flowers instead of giving Denver 14 for a guy that you have to make a decision on to pay him 14-15m for 2024 almost immediately

A player they should jump on when he’s healthy is Jalen Guyton from the Chargers. He’s coming off an ACL but has talent and was pinned to the bench behind Mike Williams and Keenan Allen. He’d cost nothing and they might strike gold.

So what #1 is out there to be had?

Hopkins?- Apparently they want too much and his contract is an issue

Jeudy?- If the report is true Pats apparently offered a 2nd & 4th and they said no. Would rather use 14 on JSN of Johnson or trade down a little and take Flowers instead of giving Denver 14 for a guy that you have to make a decision on to pay him 14-15m for 2024 almost immediately

Not sure, but we do need one. Whether it's draft or trade.

Only thing our receiving corps is missing is that #1

looks like Bill the GM is going into the season with the current group of jags, plus a draft pick or 2, plus a couple guys who end up getting cut by other clubs...and more than half this forum is cool with this, because, in bill (sub .500 since he chased Brady out of town) we trust....or something

I want to see the Patriots draft a stud OT in the first round, a stud interior OL in the second round, and end up with an OL that gives Mac time to run his progressions and find whoever is open from the current roster of receivers. Return to the days before Moss, when Brady’s favorite receiver was whoever was open and there were usually five or six per game catching passes and making substantial contributions. Have JJSS, TT, Bourne, Parker, Gisiecki be a pick your poison menu that keeps DCs up at night trying to decide which poison to pick. It’s a recipe the Pats used to win Super Bowls in the past, dust it off and do it again.

Not sure, but we do need one. Whether it's draft or trade.

Only thing our receiving corps is missing is that #1
I don’t understand this theory, KC didn’t have a #1 WR last season. Every Super Bowl the Patriots won they didn’t have a #1 WR, they had 3-4 good WR’s and a good TE. They controlled the middle of the field.

Where does this #1 nonsense come from, it’s not backed by empirical evidence? This is pseudoscience. You need a balanced team that’s good across the board, one magical player is never the answer.

looks like Bill the GM is going into the season with the current group of jags, plus a draft pick or 2, plus a couple guys who end up getting cut by other clubs...and more than half this forum is cool with this, because, in bill (sub .500 since he chased Brady out of town) we trust....or something
Henry and Gesicki are two of the better TE’s in the league. Juju, Parker, Bourne are all capable NFL receivers. They have young players like Thornton, Marcus Jones and whoever they draft who could emerge as playmakers.

They have better weapons than 2/3rd’s of the NFL and should have a top offensive line again. “Jags” is a nonsense take…

Last edited:
I don’t understand this theory, KC didn’t have a #1 WR last season. Every Super Bowl the Patriots won they didn’t have a #1 WR, they had 3-4 good WR’s and a good TE. They controlled the middle of the field.

Where does this #1 nonsense come from, it’s not backed by empirical evidence? This is pseudoscience. You need a balanced team that’s good across the board, one magical player is never the answer.

KC had Kelce, patriots had Edelman/gronk.

This idea that the Patriots didn't have an elite target is a myth.

Gronkowski might have been a tight end but he provides the same value as a #1 receiver. Same with Kelce.

We don't have that. Name me one player on this team that other teams have to gameplan for?

Gronkowski might have been a tight end but he provides the same value as a #1 receiver. Same with Kelce.

We don't have that. Name me one player on this team that other teams have to gameplan for?
Pats didn’t always have Edelman and Gronk.

who in this list would you say is that elite target that DCs have to center their game plan around?

TE: Christian Fauria
TE: Daniel Graham
TE: Ben Watson

WR: Deion Branch
WR: Troy Brown
WR: Bam Childress
WR: Andre’ Davis
WR: Tim Dwight
WR: David Givens
WR: Bethel Johnson

RB: Mike Cloud
RB: Corey Dillon
RB: Kevin Faulk

FB: Heath Evans

or how about this roster, who is the elite guy the DC absolutely has to focus on?

TE: Rod Rutledge
TE: Jermaine Wiggins

WR: Fred Coleman
WR: Bert Emanuel
WR: Terry Glenn
WR: Curtis Jackson
WR: Charles Johnson
WR: David Patten
WR: Torrance Small

RB: J.R. Redmond

FB: Marc Edwards
FB: Patrick Pass

Last edited:

who in this list would you say is that elite target that DCs have to center their game plan around?

TE: Christian Fauria
TE: Daniel Graham
TE: Ben Watson

WR: Deion Branch
WR: Bam Childress
WR: Andre’ Davis
WR: Tim Dwight
WR: David Givens
WR: Bethel Johnson

RB: Mike Cloud
RB: Corey Dillon

FB: Heath Evans

or how about this roster, who is the elite guy the DC absolutely has to focus on?

TE: Rod Rutledge
TE: Jermaine Wiggins

WR: Fred Coleman
WR: Bert Emanuel
WR: Terry Glenn
WR: Curtis Jackson
WR: Charles Johnson
WR: David Patten
WR: Torrance Small

RB: J.R. Redmond

FB: Marc Edwards
FB: Patrick Pass

Those are ancient times in NFL terms. I'm talking about the modern NFL.

You can't build a team in 2023 based on how the league was in 2001 or 2005. The NFL was totally different. Brady lead the league one year with 27 TDs. That's average now.

I mean Mahomes is already on the short list of GOATs and we had the GOAT in Brady. Plus Gronk was the best offensive weapon not named Calvin Johnson during that time. Really not the best examples.
It's not about a "magical player" it's more than obvious what a top tier WR can do for a QB and the importance they hold now as opposed to years ago.

none of the above draft one? BB doesn’t have a great history in drafting WR.

If that is what you believe, all GREAT reasons to complete the switch to Buffalo fandom you began a while back. And by the way, seeing you decry BB "chasing Brady out of town" is quite a laugh since you did nothing but whine, moan and tear Brady down his last two years here.

None. I do like Gesicki and Schuster when he was at USC.
But they had Tom Brady for 20 years. Gronk was the most important draft pick for the 2nd dynasty and it's not even close. In fact, the drought goes longer than 10 years and Brady may have gotten traded in favor of Jimmy G who was drafted in 2014.
This list was 15-20 years ago where teams were still focusing on the running game to set up the pass. Pats didn't have an elite target, but their WR's corps as a "group" was among the best in the league around 2004. Branch, Givens, Brown, Patton was very solid.

It's in reverse now given how much easier it is to throw. Either Mac has to become elite or the offense has to have at least one guy to be elite.

Name me one player on this team that other teams have to gameplan for

I so hate this stupid, meaningless cliche. It suggests that "stars" are all an opponent has to prepare for -- not coaches, schemes or tendencies. An offense with three capable "No. 2" receivers can be plenty challenging for any foe.

I so hate this stupid, meaningless cliche. It suggests that "stars" are all an opponent has to prepare for -- not coaches, schemes or tendencies. An offense with three capable "No. 2" receivers can be plenty challenging for any foe.
So true. Is there ever any WR on the field that’s incapable of making plays if left uncovered? Game plan for any one guy and ignore his teammates and you’re likely in trouble.

So true. Is there ever any WR on the field that’s incapable of making plays if left uncovered? Game plan for any one guy and ignore his teammates and you’re likely in trouble.

By the same token, you see teams with a great No. 1 WR and no complementary pieces to take the heat off him. I seem to recall film of BB in a coaches meeting years ago, where he complained that if Moss and Welker were covered the offense was screwed.

Screw the receiver I want Lamar!

Kelce is one player and he’s a TE. Their WR’s were a collection of castoffs.
The Pat’s won a championship in 2016 when Gronk was hurt and 7th round pick Edelman was their #1. Stop sniffing glue.
Read the above.
Game plan for… teams game planned for the Patriots and they won regardless. The Patriots won while Gronk was in street clothes watching. It sucks for you and this magical unicorn #1 theory.

They had Brady, Moss, Welker, Watson, Stallworth in 2007 and lost because the offense failed. Explain that for the rest of us?

I mean Mahomes is already on the short list of GOATs and we had the GOAT in Brady. Plus Gronk was the best offensive weapon not named Calvin Johnson during that time. Really not the best examples.
When Mahomes offensive line was hampered with injury in 2021 he looked mortal. I guess one year removed we’ve forgotten that. That’s exactly why Andy Reid committed big dollars to the offensive line and let Tyreek Hill, arguably the best weapon in the NFL walk.
It's not about a "magical player" it's more than obvious what a top tier WR can do for a QB and the importance they hold now as opposed to years ago.
See above…

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back