PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Cam is returning, we need a better QB room around him.

But to be fair: yeah, the team loves him by all accounts. BB loves him, by all accounts. Maybe he took a long time to clear his COVID, and unbeknownst to us, he's back baby.

I dunno. It just seems more like someone said "Cam this can't go on paper but that terrible 1 year deal we're offering comes with a handshake deal of something like the same next season even if you suck." Or something. I'd love for the plan to be having the bird in hand when you go out to look at real QBs.

I guess it's a LONG time to day 1... are we not entertained?

What makes you believe this? Is it because of the Cam signing?
History shows it's more likely he trades down. I think he's only traded up 4 times in the 1st round and 3 of the 4 picks were for defensive players (Warren, High, Jones) .
The Patriots are heavily scouting guys that are poised to go in the top 10. You don't heavily scout those guys unless you think you have a shot at drafting them.

The Patriots are heavily scouting guys that are poised to go in the top 10. You don't heavily scout those guys unless you think you have a shot at drafting them.

Or you anticipate having to face them next year or the year after!

Lawrence to Jacksonville
Wilson to the jets
Fields to atlanta
Lance to carolina

we could see at least 3 of them, maybe 4.

The guy who designed this.

I see this video as a metaphor. Belichick is the lone motorist trying to make it across the buckling bridge (quarterback) Cam, only to see it collapse and narrowly escape with his life.

Or you anticipate having to face them next year or the year after!

Lawrence to Jacksonville
Wilson to the jets
Fields to atlanta
Lance to carolina

we could see at least 3 of them, maybe 4.
It's possible but how close they are to the top 10 I have to think they are thinking of trading up.

They contacted the niners about Jimmy and they said he's not available right now, raiders said they arent moving from carr.

So I have to think now they are looking to plan B which is sign cam newtonn and look to the draft

It's possible but how close they are to the top 10 I have to think they are thinking of trading up.

They contacted the niners about Jimmy and they said he's not available right now, raiders said they arent moving from carr.

So I have to think now they are looking to plan B which is sign cam newtonn and look to the draft
This is by no means the first time the Patriots scouted players that were well out of their range.

so let’s think this through:

lawrence - if he gets to number 2, urban should me fired immediately.

Wilson - works best in a wide zone scheme, not in a Perkins/Earhart offense.

lance - ultimate boom or bust qb. Only played a few games and has never faced quality opponents. Looks to run too often. Not a gun slinger type, and very hesitant to throw into tight windows.

fields - if he makes it past the Jets, the Jets are fools. I think he is Dwayne Haskins part 2 without as big an arm. Which makes him perfect for the Jets.

so let’s think this through:

lawrence - if he gets to number 2, urban should me fired immediately.

Wilson - works best in a wide zone scheme, not in a Perkins/Earhart offense.

lance - ultimate boom or bust qb. Only played a few games and has never faced quality opponents. Looks to run too often. Not a gun slinger type, and very hesitant to throw into tight windows.

fields - if he makes it past the Jets, the Jets are fools. I think he is Dwayne Haskins part 2 without as big an arm. Which makes him perfect for the Jets.

What is a "gun slinger type" and why is it relevant to the Patriots' needs at QB?

Thanks. Just a correction: Gilly was via trade.

Also, Revis took a $4M haircut because Bill told him he couldn't pay him more than the QB.

Gilmore was an unrestricted free agent

What is a "gun slinger type" and why is it relevant to the Patriots' needs at QB?

gun slinger is not afraid to throw into small windows. It’s relevant to all teams.

"Cam has proven himself as an excellent bridge guy." I wonder who would be a poor bridge guy. Someone who threw 2 touchdown passes for a whole season?

I guess it's a matter of perspective. I wasn't expecting much last season after Brady left and with the Covid opt outs etc.. And although I didn't enjoy the Pats missing the playoffs I did enjoy the effort the guys put into the season. I think last season could have been a lot worse. Could have been a lot of turmoil or whatever but there wasn't and I credit that to Cam and the other team leaders including BB. I watched every game and listened to every interview. I enjoyed having Cam on the team. I enjoyed his interviews. I thought it was incredibly ballsy coming here after the GOAT left and think he handled it perfectly.

Anyway it's a new season and my expectations are that of the Pats building a new super bowl bound team. I think that Cam can be a valuable piece in that process. Or, at a minimum, I know that he and the rest of the team will give a 100% week after week while BB adds pieces etc..

Lastly, and I know this is dumb, I remember during halftime of SB 36 asking God to "please let this happen". And what happened was not only an unbelievable Super Bowl victory that night but a freaking twenty year run that would dramatically change NFL history. Wow. It gives me goosebumps thinking what Tom Brady did.

Anyway I understand that we are in a rebuild mode and a "find the next franchise QB" mode. Very tough to do especially after the greatest QB of all time ended up a Super Bowl MVP for another team.

In Bill I Trust. He and Tom have delivered so much.

Last edited:
I guess it's a matter of perspective. I wasn't expecting much last season after Brady left and with the Covid opt outs etc.. And although I didn't enjoy the Pats missing the playoffs I did enjoy the effort the guys put into the season. I think last season could have been a lot worse. Could have been a lot of turmoil or whatever but there wasn't and I credit that to Cam and the other team leaders. I watched every game and listened to every interview. I enjoyed having Cam on the team. I enjoyed his interviews. I thought it was incredibly ballsy coming here after the GOAT left and think he handled it perfectly.
Cam was an effective bridge guy in the sense that he made a whole lot of people think about jumping off of a bridge.

Cam was an effective bridge guy in the sense that he made a whole lot of people think about jumping off of a bridge.

Funny. I guess I may be overly grateful for the last twenty years.

the ultimate question in all of this is, how much of last year was the talent around cam newton, and how much of it was him not being the same player anymore. And I think there are arguments to be made for both lines of thinking.

There is certainly a percentage that is due to the talent around him. We all can admit the patriots had the worst skill position players in the NFL and the patriots play calling reflected that.

But the decision making and passes into the ground were a concern. Alot of the media pundits also pointed to cam newtons mechanics deteriorating later in the season. So, is that him overcompensating for past injuries?

Wins are a team stat. Not a coach or GM stat.

I think we saw last year what happens when Bill has a subpar QB and team to work with.
Suppose Belichick decided to stop coaching but wanted to continue as GM. Would 9 SB appearances as GM be a stat? Would 6 SB wins as a GM be stat? Would it be a stat in, say, Dallas?

That means nothing. Belichick always scouts anyone and everyone. Two of those picks are going to our competition in MIA & NYJ. Here he's working out with Roquan Smith (#8) with no chance of getting him:

Look at this article from a year ago and let me know if it sounds familiar.

Edit: damn bell won't go off.

Last edited:
That means nothing. Belichick always scouts anyone and everyone. Two of those picks are going to our competition in MIA & NYJ. Here he's working out with Roquan Smith (#8) with no chance of getting him:

Look at this article from a year ago and let me know if it sounds familiar.

Edit: damn bell won't go off.

Funny little blurb from that article:

"Belichick hasn’t jumped at signing quarterbacks with tangible skills (size, speed, arm strength, etc.) notably Cam Newton, Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, all Heisman Trophy winners. Newton and Winston were No. 1 overall draft picks. Mariota went second overall."

Funny little blurb from that article:

"Belichick hasn’t jumped at signing quarterbacks with tangible skills (size, speed, arm strength, etc.) notably Cam Newton, Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, all Heisman Trophy winners. Newton and Winston were No. 1 overall draft picks. Mariota went second overall."
Exactly. He ended up signing Cam. Now he does it again. He didn't draft a QB last year and if he does rhis draft, it won't be in the 1st round. This is Deja vu. People are in denial.

Exactly. He ended up signing Cam. Now he does it again. He didn't draft a QB last year and if he does rhis draft, it won't be in the 1st round. This is Deja vu. People are in denial.

you do not think bb is trading up in the draft for a qb?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back