PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Cam is returning, we need a better QB room around him.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I don’t see how we can justify going into next year with Hoyer and Stidham remaining backups for Cam. I think this has to mean we are either drafting a QB, signing another veteran, or even both.

From what I saw from Stidham, I think he’s hardly even rosterable. Not a capable backup. Hoyer also showed last year that his time was up.

This is my primary concern. If Cam plays like he did for the first month last year, I’m alright with that level. But we all know Cam cannot he trusted to stay healthy and maintain good performance once injuries mount up.

I definitely have to think even a guy like Brissett makes a ton of sense. Would be a huge upgrade over Hoyer/Stiddy.

I hope the 15th pick is used to get a QB. Going into the season with only Cam is insane.

Hoyer is a goner. Depending on how the draft falls Stidham might not make it through camp to the 53.

Another vet QB addition would not be shocking. They have a ****ton of cap space, Cam has only 3.5m in guaranteed money and some good competition at camp might be exactly whats needed.

I am not with you on Brissett but generally speaking I think you will have your wish fulfilled when OTAs start.

Hoyer is a goner. Depending on how the draft falls Stidham might not make it through camp to the 53.

Another vet QB addition would not be shocking. They have a ****ton of cap space, Cam has only 3.5m in guaranteed money and some good competition at camp might be exactly whats needed.

I am not with you on Brissett but generally speaking I think you will have your wish fulfilled when OTAs start.
I hope you’re right on the Hoyer part. Bill seems like he can’t quit him.

I would not bet the house that the Patriots draft a QB in the first two days of the draft. They were essentially in a worse QB position last year and did not draft a QB - what has changed?

Bill will not draft a QB in the first round. He signed Cam to be his starter and doesn’t want to pick a QB to compete with him. He doesn’t want to hurt the feelings of his boy Cam.

if we draft a guy like Lance or Jones, I want him to start right away. I certainly don’t want him to learn how to throw ball to the ground from Cam

I mean he benched him after a legendary meltdown in KC and made Stidham the backup for the rest of the year. I am not creative enough to see how Hoyer gets out of this hole and back onto the 53.
If feel bad for Hoyer. He played better than 90% of Cam’s game but got bench. Bill didn’t want to treat Brady differently but had no problem to do it with Cam.

I would not bet the house that the Patriots draft a QB in the first two days of the draft. They were essentially in a worse QB position last year and did not draft a QB - what has changed?

The draft position, potentially their evaluation of the talent that will be available in their range, more information on Stidham..

No matter who is QB I'd like to think this is still going to be the running team that we should have been last year.

Hope Michel and especially Harris can stay off IR.

No matter who is QB I'd like to think this is still going to be the running team that we should have been last year.

The thing is, even with better receiver, opposing team knows that Cam can’t play so they will try to stop the run because Cam can’t pass and Golladay or anybody else can’t change that.

The thing is, even with better receiver, opposing team knows that Cam can’t play so they will try to stop the run because Cam can’t pass and Golladay or anybody else can’t change that.

Get used to 8 in the box. And not a light 8, but 8 Dlinemen and LBs. Tough to run against that.

There is nothing wrong with doing a lot of the damage with the run as long as you can effectively leverage that into deadly play action shots.

Add in a couple more vertical elements -- which is where Newton is really in his element if his footwork doesn't fall apart again -- if we can upgrade on WRs plus a better understanding of the offense leading to fewer sacks/forced throws because he instinctively will know where his outlets are. Garnish this with a couple RPOs, sweeps, designed QB stuff and production from TEs and we are in business.

That being said with the size of our OL, Cam behind center and those RBs it would be a crime not to try pounding the ball more often.

There is nothing wrong with doing a lot of the damage with the run as long as you can effectively leverage that into deadly play action shots.

Add in a couple more vertical elements -- which is where Newton is really in his element if his footwork doesn't fall apart again -- if we can upgrade on WRs plus a better understanding of the offense leading to fewer sacks/forced throws because he instinctively will know where his outlets are. Garnish this with a couple RPOs, sweeps, designed QB stuff and production from TEs and we are in business.

That being said with the size of our OL, Cam behind center and those RBs it would be a crime not to try pounding the ball more often.
I had this kind of hope once. The Hope that Cam would get better - I was wrong - he just got worse.

Get used to 8 in the box. And not a light 8, but 8 Dlinemen and LBs. Tough to run against that.
Exactly this - we could see Randy Moss out there and defenses would stack the box and laugh when Newton continued to miss him by yards.

I had this kind of hope once. The Hope that Cam would get better - I was wrong - he just got worse.

Look I will say the same thing to you that I did to fake Andy. Lets wait at least until we see the full picture in terms of the roster (i.e. after the draft) and preferably after a week of camp so we can hear how Cam looks this year before jumping off the cliff and calling the season.

There is nothing gained from panicking now, and it makes the board a more whiney and negative place to read.

Thats not going to happen.
That is exactly what is going to happen. Do you really thing that Bill will draft a QB in the first round to compete with his boy Cam?? No way that Bill will screw with Cam feelings.

Cam will start all 16 games. If I’m drafting a Qb in the first 15 pick I certainly don’t want him to learn how to suck from Cam.

That is exactly what is going to happen. Do you really thing that Bill will draft a QB in the first round to compete with his boy Cam?? No way that Bill will screw with Cam feelings.

Cam will start all 16 games. If I’m drafting a Qb in the first 15 pick I certainly don’t want him to learn how to suck from Cam.

I couldn't think of a better role model for a young QB than Cam Newton. Sure, he won't be winning any passing-in-tight-windows or reading coverage contests...but other than that he brings the whole package. The man gives 100%, is great in the locker room, and never has any off field issues....a real pro.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back