PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Cam is returning, we need a better QB room around him.

Do you really thing that Bill will draft a QB in the first round to compete with his boy Cam?? No way that Bill will screw with Cam feelings.

BB can be accused of many things, but accounting for a player's feelings isn't one of them.

The NEP are doing what they always do this time of year. They are fortifying their roster with backups and pseudo-starters.

The real action is FA and during the draft.

This is BB doing the BB thang.

They may draft a QB in the first round. They may trade for Jimmy. They made draft one in Rd2. Who knows.....
Cam will start all 16 games. If I’m drafting a Qb in the first 15 pick I certainly don’t want him to learn how to suck from Cam.
Based on the $ and structure of his deal, it's painfully obvious this is a backup contract.

I couldn't think of a better role model for a young QB than Cam Newton. Sure, he won't be winning any passing-in-tight-windows or reading coverage contests...but other than that he brings the whole package. The man gives 100%, is great in the locker room, and never has any off field issues....a real pro.

I always enjoy reading how some bozos judge him on that one fumble he failed to jump on in the SB but ignore the other 99% of cases where he is consistently sacrificing his body for additional yards when other QBs would just go down. But for a certain segment that one bad play defines their entire idea of who Newton is. Yet they'd be besides themselves if someone else would say the same thing about Brady and define him by one of his missteps.

And it is pretty similar with they way people respond to his fashion sense. Hell, I find it way too much and have gotten many laughs out of the outlandish **** he is wearing last year but ultimately who gives a crap ?

He has been nothing short of gracious and amazing when it comes to leadership and taking responsibility last year in his press conferences and radio obligations. And those are not empty words or a façade because otherwise the locker room would not respond to him the way it did.

The only thing missing was consistency on Sundays which unfortunately is the main ingredient.

BB can be accused of many things, but accounting for a player's feelings isn't one of them.
I would have agreed without on that until last year. Never saw him making so many excuses for a player than for Cam last year.

Bill has acted very differently last year compare to the last 20 years.

I couldn't think of a better role model for a young QB than Cam Newton. Sure, he won't be winning any passing-in-tight-windows or reading coverage contests...but other than that he brings the whole package. The man gives 100%, is great in the locker room, and never has any off field issues....a real pro.
Despite his play on the field I was pleasantly surprised by Cam last year off it. I was fearful of the wheels coming off the wagon but Cam was nothing but a consummate pro and a quality veteran presence.

I still don't want him anywhere close to starting games but he is absolutely a decent, quality backup.

I would have agreed without on that until last year. Never saw him making so many excuses for a player than for Cam last year.

Bill has acted very differently last year compare to the last 20 years.
Think through Bill's approach to the QB situation last year.

Question 1: Why did he support Cam last year?

Question 2: Why did he not put Stidham in?

Hint: It wasn't because of any personal affection I assure you.

I don’t see how we can justify going into next year with Hoyer and Stidham remaining backups for Cam. I think this has to mean we are either drafting a QB, signing another veteran, or even both.

From what I saw from Stidham, I think he’s hardly even rosterable. Not a capable backup. Hoyer also showed last year that his time was up.

This is my primary concern. If Cam plays like he did for the first month last year, I’m alright with that level. But we all know Cam cannot he trusted to stay healthy and maintain good performance once injuries mount up.

I definitely have to think even a guy like Brissett makes a ton of sense. Would be a huge upgrade over Hoyer/Stiddy.
Justify I don’t know but the reason is that Cam has surely been promised no competition. Otherwise he would have tested free agency.
who would ever have thought cam newton would have bill belichick over a barrel.

Think through Bill's approach to the QB situation last year.

Question 1: Why did he support Cam last year?

Question 2: Why did he not put Stidham in?

Hint: It wasn't because of any personal affection I assure you.
They may have had an agreement that he would let newton keep playing to earn his incentives. It’s quite clear he made him promises this year or he would have tested free agency. Last year it was believed he made him promises because he could only pay him a pittance plus incentives.

It’s like the Seinfeld where the girl
was beautiful in one light and ugly in the other. Unfortunately for us belichick appears to be the inky person in the world standing in the beautiful light.

They may have had an agreement that he would let newton keep playing to earn his incentives. It’s quite clear he made him promises this year or he would have tested free agency. Last year it was believed he made him promises because he could only pay him a pittance plus incentives.

was beautiful in one light and ugly in the other. Unfortunately for us belichick appears to be the inky person in the world standing in the beautiful light.
Well, here’s a counterpoint to consider: why would he have tested free agency if absolutely nobody but the Patriots would have been interested?

tenor.gif

Attachments

• 1615585965454.gif
    1615585965454.gif
    394.8 KB · Views: 0
Look I will say the same thing to you that I did to fake Andy. Lets wait at least until we see the full picture in terms of the roster (i.e. after the draft) and preferably after a week of camp so we can hear how Cam looks this year before jumping off the cliff and calling the season.

There is nothing gained from panicking now, and it makes the board a more whiney and negative place to read.
The Office Reaction GIF

Well, here’s a counterpoint to consider: why would he have tested free agency if absolutely nobody but the Patriots would have been interested?

tenor.gif
To find out if no one was interested. He liked what the patriots told him so much that a guy who “there aren’t 32 QBs better than me” never asked another team if they were interested.

I'm #TeamDolegala

Who's with me? :D
I would be much more exited in that than to see Cam play.

I am in #TeamHopeCamIsCutInCamp

Based on the $ and structure of his deal, it's painfully obvious this is a backup contract.
It clearly shows how much Bill want to invest in the starting QB. My fear is he still think that he can win with any JAG. Which ultimately will be his downfall.

Cam himself said that he is not a backup. He wouldn’t have resign here without the assurance he would be the starter.

If Cam is our starter in week 1......

I have no idea what Belichick is thinking anymore. This is the first time I will stop and think... "Has Belichick lost it?".

I refuse to believe he will be our starter

I agree.

I think he did give Cam some assurances last year if he won the starting job. Stidham fell down so the decision was easy.

I also think Bill wanted to keep a cohesive locker room in a season of transition. Bill wanted the calmest waters he could find.

This latest contract has nothing to do with last year.

It's open season on the QB position in 2021.

It clearly shows how much Bill want to invest in the starting QB. My fear is he still think that he can win with any JAG. Which ultimately will be his downfall.

Cam himself said that he is not a backup. He wouldn’t have resign here without the assurance he would be the starter.
Sorry. From my view it proves nothing of the sort.

I think Cam signed because he saw his market and a fair chance at playing here.

I'm am surpremely confident Cam and Bill had, "the talk"

@robertweathers

I was pretty supportive of Cam last season but it seemed evident he was done. Do you think he can play better with a better offense? If he is our starter going forward, do you think this offense will be okay? What's your opinion?

I agree.

I think he did give Cam some assurances last year if he won the starting job. Stidham fell down so the decision was easy.

I also think Bill wanted to keep a cohesive locker room in a season of transition. Bill wanted the calmest waters he could find.

This latest contract has nothing to do with last year.

It's open season on the QB position in 2021.
No because if newton was given no assurances he wouldn’t have signed here before even making one single call to another team.
Bill sold Cam on being his QB and cam was so impressed that he didn’t even check the market. This is after cam said he won’t be a backup.
2+2=4
Bill Belichick has the QB he wants.

and he is probably the only one in the world that wants him.

@robertweathers

I was pretty supportive of Cam last season but it seemed evident he was done.
Maybe. He doesn't have the same arm strength or mobility as he did in prior years...

Do you think he can play better with a better offense?
Unclear. In theory with better talent surrounding him and more time in the offensive system he should be in a better position to perform.

If he is our starter going forward, do you think this offense will be okay? What's your opinion?
Absolutely not. If he starts a couple of games here and there ok but 16 games? Hell no.

Sorry. From my view it proves nothing of the sort.

I think Cam signed because he saw his market and a fair chance at playing here.

I'm am surpremely confident Cam and Bill had, "the talk"
He has not a fair chance at playing here, it is 100% guaranteed that he will play.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back