PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Cam is returning, we need a better QB room around him.

Let's repeat what other posters have said.

There are lot more players to add.
And like said previously better receiver will not suddenly transform ball thrown 5 yards short in the ground to beautiful touch pass right on the money.

With this move Bill bought for the Patriots a ticket to mediocrity

Doesn’t really matter who you add of newton is the qb.

DeAndre Hopkins and DK Metcalf could be on the Pats, but they can't throw the ball and catch it too.

No QB ....no playoffs for you....next.

It’s the product of Bill thinking is smart because he signed his starting QB for less than other teams back up.

it’s funny to see all the Bill lovers trying to justify this horrible move by saying that Cam is not a lock to start.
If his contract "makes him a lock to start" then what about the contracts of QBs that make more than him but are 100% backups? Are they locks to start? Your argument makes no sense.

And I am not saying that Cam is good, that it is great that they signed him, that he is awesome in any way, or that BB is infallible.

I am just saying that Cam is not getting even low-end starter money guaranteed, which would lead any thinking person to conclude that there is a decent chance that he will have to compete for the starting job.

If his contract "makes him a lock to start" then what about the contracts of QBs that make more than him but are 100% backups? Are they locks to start? Your argument makes no sense.

And I am not saying that Cam is good, that it is great that they signed him, that he is awesome in any way, or that BB is infallible.

I am just saying that Cam is not getting even low-end starter money guaranteed, which would lead any thinking person to conclude that there is a decent chance that he will have to compete for the starting job.
Almost all of us expected Belichick to sign a veteran QB who would either start, or be the backup. He chose Newton for that role.

He still could be signing or trading for another vet. Even in this case, I would expect Belichick to draft a QB, although not in the first round.

If there are no other veteran signings, then I would hope to see Lance or Jones drafted.

The BOTTOM LINE for me is that I expect to see: a top draftee, Newton and a 3rd quarterback (a late rounder to compete with Stidham.

Doesn’t really matter who you add of newton is the qb.
if Newton is the ONLY quarterback.

Are you really saying that our season is done if we draft Lance and a 6th rounder to compete with Stidham?

Deleted double post

Almost all of us expected Belichick to sign a veteran QB who would either start, or be the backup. He chose Newton for that role.

He still could be signing or trading for another vet. Even in this case, I would expect Belichick to draft a QB, although not in the first round.

If there are no other veteran signings, then I would hope to see Lance or Jones drafted.

The BOTTOM LINE for me is that I expect to see: a top draftee, Newton and a 3rd quarterback (a late rounder to compete with Stidham.
Cam has said himself he is not a backup. He would not have resigned here if he had 0 guarantee to start.

Are you really saying that our season is done if we draft Lance and a 6th rounder to compete with Stidham?
I think Bill is done at QB. Bill loves Cam and is fine with him as a starter. I can see him drafting a QB late to compete with Stidham. But he will not draft a QB to compete with Cam.

Cam will be the starter without any competition. I will be happy to be wrong because I don’t want Cam to start a single game for the Patriots next year.

Trent Brown and Cam are one year deal. It makes me afraid that Bill still think he can win now with JAGs and will not fully rebuild.

You tell me what are the chances belichick benches newton before the season is wasted in order to play a rookie?
We will be hearing Cam gives us the best chance to win all year while belichick becomes the only human in the planet who actually believes it.

I gave him a pass last year because he had no options.
He told us today he liked having that kind of QB play and signed up for round 2.

please don’t give me the “bb will bench him” baloney because everything he has done is contrary to that.

And don’t expect a first round qb. That would be a threat to cam, and this is cams team.

You tell me what are the chances belichick benches newton before the season is wasted in order to play a rookie?
We will be hearing Cam gives us the best chance to win all year while belichick becomes the only human in the planet who actually believes it.

He told us today he liked having that kind of QB play and signed up for round 2.

please don’t give me the “bb will bench him” baloney because everything he has done is contrary to that.

And don’t expect a first round qb. That would be a threat to cam, and this is cams team.
If this were true, Cam would have been signed to a 3 year deal with lots of incentives. A one year deal with no other significant additions just gives us the same issue next year.

If this were true, Cam would have been signed to a 3 year deal with lots of incentives. A one year deal with no other significant additions just gives us the same issue next year.
Exactly. That’s why it’s such a problem.

You sound like you’re beginning to come to terms with how different BB the GM is vs BB the HC. Welcome to the dark side.

I think it’s pretty clear that they’re planning to target Lance if a trade up to the top 7 is feasible. He’s a less turnover-prone version of Cam coming out of the college level and BB, for better or worse, has fallen in love with that kind of QB. It’s either him or Wilson, who will probably be gone within the top 3 (if not the top two). I’m assuming Cam would be the bridge and mentor to him. Otherwise, it doesn’t make any sense to me to keep Cam and draft a guy like Jones. They’re night and day differences from one another in terms of style of play.

I hope you’re right on the Hoyer part. Bill seems like he can’t quit him.
As long as he's effective on the scout team (where he's been praised a lot being able to imitate just about any QB) he'll have a spot here. I think BB really values that.

You sound like you’re beginning to come to terms with how different BB the GM is vs BB the HC. Welcome to the dark side.
No. I am assessing a decision. This one doesn’t change any others he made for better or worse.
He could screw up every decision he makes from this point on abs he’s still in the +.

No. I am assessing a decision. This one doesn’t change any others he made for better or worse.
He could screw up every decision he makes from this point on abs he’s still in the +.
As a HC he is. As a GM, he’s a mixed bag at best. Especially in the last 7 years.

As a HC he is. As a GM, he’s a mixed bag at best. Especially in the last 7 years.
Nah, it’s about success. A gm who wins and you hate his decisions is better than a gm who loses and you like his decisions.

Building a football team under a cap is complex. Good decisions you make will make other decisions look bad (I.e. building a strong team makes your draft look worse because they have a tougher path to play which also leads to taking riskier players. ) In the end if you win the whole package worked. Trying to pick apart a successful roster build to criticize some of the transactions is silly.

I think it’s pretty clear that they’re planning to target Lance if a trade up to the top 7 is feasible. He’s a less turnover-prone version of Cam coming out of the college level and BB, for better or worse, has fallen in love with that kind of QB. It’s either him or Wilson, who will probably be gone within the top 3 (if not the top two). I’m assuming Cam would be the bridge and mentor to him. Otherwise, it doesn’t make any sense to me to keep Cam and draft a guy like Jones. They’re night and day differences from one another in terms of style of play.
Drafting a QB round 1 will mitigate this debacle. But that guy has to be out there by October at the latest.
That turns newton into a 3.5 million clipboard holder who isn’t out on the forks costing us games.
If we drafted a QB then signed newton, I’d feel different. Still hate the move but the damage that could be done is less.

it just seems unlikely because there is no way Newton forfeits free agency without some agreement that he will be the starter.

Nah, it’s about success. A gm who wins and you hate his decisions is better than a gm who loses and you like his decisions.

Building a football team under a cap is complex. Good decisions you make will make other decisions look bad (I.e. building a strong team makes your draft look worse because they have a tougher path to play which also leads to taking riskier players. ) In the end if you win the whole package worked. Trying to pick apart a successful roster build to criticize some of the transactions is silly.
They were maxed out and tight against the cap last season because of years of high misses in the draft which they needed to fill with higher priced veterans in order to be competitive. Then he follows up that performance by bringing Cam back for a good, old fashioned round 2. This is a good GM to you? If his past success is going to make you shrug off his mediocre performance as a GM since Reece left, then why aren’t you all “IBBWT” with Cam? After all, 6 Super Bowls... right?

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back