PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Cam is returning, we need a better QB room around him.

you do not think bb is trading up in the draft for a qb?
Hell no. For who? The top 3 QBs are out of reach. Neither MIA or NYJ are trading with him. It'll be too costly with too much risk. It's not a smart move imo.

I think he trades #15 down with Colts or someone else looking for a CB to keep ARI from grabbing Surtain or Farley.

Hell no. For who? The top 3 QBs are out of reach. Neither MIA or NYJ are trading with him. It'll be too costly with too much risk. It's not a smart move imo.

I think he trades #15 down with Colts or someone else looking for a CB to keep ARI from grabbing Surtain or Farley.
He needs to get up to something like #5-#7. It's doable.

you do not think bb is trading up in the draft for a qb?
I think it's possible but I am leaning more towards him not doing it. Knowing Bill, he'll mostly go "BPA" based on his board, and will look to build inside-out on the OL/DL this year, likely with a QB in the 2nd-4th he can try to develop, plus seeing if he can get any kind of improvement out of Cam. It's not like the team is only a good QB away from a title. He may think it makes more sense to develop someone inexpensive to be a game manager who can step up in a pinch while creating a really good roster around them. Bill won titles with Brady before Brady was truly the elite player he eventually became. No other QB will ever be Brady, but some player may eventually be able to reach young Brady level without breaking the bank.

I think he trades #15 down with Colts or someone else looking for a CB to keep ARI from grabbing Surtain or Farley.m
I think it's possible but I am leaning more towards him not doing it. Knowing Bill, he'll mostly go "BPA" based on his board, and will look to build inside-out on the OL/DL this year, likely with a QB in the 2nd-4th he can try to develop, plus seeing if he can get any kind of improvement out of Cam. It's not like the team is only a good QB away from a title. He may think it makes more sense to develop someone inexpensive to be a game manager who can step up in a pinch while creating a really good roster around them. Bill won titles with Brady before Brady was truly the elite player he eventually became. No other QB will ever be Brady, but some player may eventually be able to reach young Brady level without breaking the bank.

If lance or fields is available at 7, does bb trade with Detroit to get one of them, even if it means giving up a first in 2022!

What's the cost?

It's a variable. But, if you get your QBOTF, the cost isn't really important. And, if you miss, the cost is likely to be borne by your successor.

If lance or fields is available at 7, does bb trade with Detroit to get one of them, even if it means giving up a first in 2022!
that won't be enough. But, yes.

It's a variable. But, if you get your QBOTF, the cost isn't really important. And, if you miss, the cost is likely to be borne by your successor.
Right, its the miss that makes it too risky. We've seen way too many misses in just the last 5 drafts alone.

I'm not a QB draft guru but from what I've been reading the only sure bet is Lawrence.

Unless you're saying that it's a smart play for "Bill" because there's little risk (for him) and a lot of upside. I can't argue with that.

that won't be enough. But, yes.

granted the trade will be whatever it is.

the point is.... are either of those guys worth whatever it takes to move up to number 7?

the point is.... are either of those guys worth whatever it takes to move up to number 7?
I keep thinking of all the 1st round QB busts. Burrow looks like the man, Herbert is a stud, then there'sTua. Answer is no for me.

normally the cost of moving from 15 to 7 isnt huge......depends on who else has that idea

Or just sit at 15 and take Mac Jones.

Right, its the miss that makes it too risky. We've seen way too many misses in just the last 5 drafts alone.

I'm not a QB draft guru but from what I've been reading the only sure bet is Lawrence.

Unless you're saying that it's a smart play for "Bill" because there's little risk (for him) and a lot of upside. I can't argue with that.
I would put it this way:

You can win one Super Bowl without high end/elite QB talent, especially if you've got an elite defense. But, if you want the chance to win multiple SBs, you pay what's needed to get your QB. That's been true almost without exception. And, given the amount of money the Patriots have to play with this year and next, and the poor recent draft history, this is a perfect time to package picks (even a lot of picks) for a move up, if that's what's desired. You can fill in the gaps with free agents.

normally the cost of moving from 15 to 7 isnt huge......depends on who else has that idea
From value chart:

#7 (1500) = #15 (1050) + #46 (440) + late pick?

When KC moved up from #27 to #10 for Mahomes: they paid way more than the pt value, w/ 2 #1's

#10 (1300) = #27 (680) + #91 (136) + 2018 #22 (780) = 1596
I would put it this way:

You can win one Super Bowl without high end/elite QB talent, especially if you've got an elite defense. But, if you want the chance to win multiple SBs, you pay what's needed to get your QB. That's been true almost without exception. And, given the amount of money the Patriots have to play with this year and next, and the poor recent draft history, this is a perfect time to package picks (even a lot of picks) for a move up, if that's what's desired. You can fill in the gaps with free agents.
I agree with all that, if we were packaging all those picks for Lawrence. Otherwise, like Ring says, wait for Jones to fall at #15.

I don't trust the #3-#4 to be the QBOF.

I agree with all that, if we were packaging all those picks for Lawrence. Otherwise, like Ring says, wait for Jones to fall at #15.

I don't trust the #3-#4 to be the QBOF.
Lawrence is irrelevant, since he's not available. The question line for the Patriots is simple:

1. Are any of the other QBs in this class players that you're absolutely sold on? If not,
  2. Are any of the QBs in next year's draft players that you're already sold on and capable of getting? If not,
  3. Are you desperate enough to gamble on any of the QBs you're not absolutely sold on? Is there enough potential in any of them to make the gamble worth taking?

I get that Patriots have become risk averse in the draft, but you don't win that way if you don't already have a Brady, or Manning, or the like on the team. Now, more than ever, it's pretty much QB or bust.

Or, to put it another way, what did K.C. really have to lose by trading up for Mahomes? As for the QBs that drop, why draft a guy like, say, Jones if you're not pretty much sold on him?

what kind of ceiling do you see for him whenever he is ready to start?
I think in the right system with the right coaching he can be a very good qb.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back