PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If a trade was to be made...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Thomas

Browns are a dumpster fire right now and Thomas is getting older. Would be great for us for the next few years and I'd think we could get him for a 3rd.

Thomas is 32, so a "few" years might be optimistic.

Even with a last-minute trade at the halfway point in the season, Thomas' cap hit for the remainder of the year would exceed what the Pats currently have in cap space.

Great player, though.

Read an article couple of weeks ago about how Thomas is intensely loyal to the Browns despite their ineptitude.. not sure he would want to leave, or the Browns would consider trading him as their whole franchise is on thin ice. Thomas has never missed a snap will playing for the Browns. Thomas also has his own Cleveland weekly radio show. This guy is a legend in Cleveland, playing for a Jets type organization, completely football inept.

Joe Thomas, E:60 Profile

Unless a too-good-to-pass-up opportunity presents itself, I don't see the Pats making any trade until much closer to the deadline. Even then, their options are severely limited by lack of cap space (only $4.8M at the moment).

Interior DL -
... I don't think the play there has been as poor as others think. That said, with Branch having been a liability when he's been on the field and Valentine on IR until at least week-12, the position/role is really short on bodies.
... Blackson on the PS might help.
... Hamilton may become eligible for re-signing in a couple weeks; Augusta a week later.
... Seems to me that finding a decent, currently underused rotational guy might be fairly easy and affordable.
... Cutting Branch saves maybe $1M in cap space, but doing so still leaves the position thin and the added cap space probably still isn't enough to be able to afford better than a rotational/reserve guy.

Interior LB, Edge Defender/OLB -
... These two positions/roles are interdependent, IMHO. More help on the edge allows HT to play more on the interior, for example.
... Having HT back already seems to be helping, regardless where he's been playing. For a couple games there, Van Noy and Roberts were essentially the only LBs playing. I'm sure that had a knock-on effect on the secondary, as well as an impact on run-D and the pass rush.
... Marquis Flowers seemed okay when Roberts went out in the Carolina game.
... Marsh appears to be able to play some OLB.
... Langi might be thrust into a limited rotational role.
... McClellin could be available for week-9.
... Trevor Bates could be re-signed for depth in a pinch.
... Lack of cap space probably precludes trading for a proven rotational guy. Cutting Harris probably adds only about $500k in cap space. The Pats would need to find another Van Noy or Akeem Ayers type. Not impossible, but possibly a bit more difficult than acquiring a decent rotational/reserve Interior DL.

Safety -
... Actually, my biggest concern right now. Any disruption in the secondary due to a significant injury seems likely to cause a regression in coverage effectiveness.
... There are far fewer close-to-hand/"in-house" fill-in options available than there are for DL and LB
... Richards is the only guy with significant recent playing experience.
... It seems to me that legit rotational/nickel safeties are relatively scarce around the league at the moment. Finding a player who could step in and replace Harmon or Chung, much less McCourty, could be extremely difficult at any price.

WR/TE -
... Not much point in being concerned. Plenty of roster-end TE/WR fill-ins available without having to make a trade. But it seems highly unlikely that the Pats could immediately or effectively replace Hogan or Amendola via trade at any price.

As ridiculous and stupid as it sounds.. even typing this I feel my IQ going down..

OBJ - ala Randy moss

Phone call to Browns re: Joe Thomas
Phone call to Texans re: Duane Brown
Phone call to Giants re: Damon Harrison

Phone calls don't hurt.

Tell that to Morrie.....
MSDGOOD_EC056_H.JPG

As ridiculous and stupid as it sounds.. even typing this I feel my IQ going down..

OBJ - ala Randy moss
He is the opposite of Cooks I don't think it would happen.
It would have to be a crazy stupid trade I don't see it.
I think at receiver I'd much rather get the Dolphins to cough up Landry.
I take a hard pass on Beckham.

He is the opposite of Cooks I don't think it would happen.
It would have to be a crazy stupid trade I don't see it.
I think at receiver I'd much rather get the Dolphins to cough up Landry.
I take a hard pass on Beckham.

Agree to be honest. Was just thinking everyone said Randy Moss was a diva etc and it didn't turn out bad for us.

I like Landry, he's got that never say die attitude.

I think this years draft will be very important for us.

Phone call to Browns re: Joe Thomas
Phone call to Texans re: Duane Brown
Phone call to Giants re: Damon Harrison

Phone calls don't hurt.

I'll take last year's Harrison for sure. This year's? Not really. Not a huge position of need anyway.

Brown is a big cap hit and on the downside. If I could, I'd still make the deal for a late pick or a swap of late picks.

Thomas won't leave Cleveland. He''s also a big cap hit. I'd deal for him if he'd leave. Thomas > Solder b/c he doesn't need to overcompensate left in pass protection.

Anybody available from the Giants? They have no receivers and I could see the Pats trading someone.

So, you think the McClellan is ready to come back and contribute, and that Valentine isn't. Why? Valentine would surely help the weakness in the DL (as well as eliminating the 3-3-3 formation.

Patriot fans have said that we have need a pass rusher at least since 1979. (I didn't follow the team before that. EVERY team could use another EDGE defender.

Sure, we need an ILB. I guess the idea is to bench Roberts and Marquise Flowers (we now bench harris) so that we can then say that they should be cut because of reps.

BOTTOM LINE
We can use a backup SS. We can use help at whatever position isn't returning from IR (WR, DL and LB). If Valentine and Mcclellan are healthy, I just don't see the need at their positions. Also, if Mitchell is coming back, we don't need a WR. If not, Fitz would be a welcome addition for the playoffs, but closer to the deadline.

what specific position would you like to see addressed?

In my opinion, I'd like to see the following position(s) addressed, in the following order:

(1) interior DL
(1a) interior LB
(2) edge defender (DE/OLB)
(3) in-the-box safety (a bit of a luxury)
(4) WR/TE (I consider this to be more of a luxury too)

With McClellin presumably returning from IR at some point I think LB is slightly less of a priority than interior DL. I obviously like Hightower and his versatility, and I'm higher on Van Noy than others seem to be. With McClellin's return I assume Van Noy will be freed up a bit and asked to do less, thus increasing his confidence and production and slightly reducing the need at LB.

Any interior defensive linemen folks here on high on? Or, do you feel another position is more pressing? I'd be curious as to folks' thoughts on a potential trade prior to the deadline.

I would go after Mychal Kendricks.
The Eagles are going to want either a RB (?Dion) with Sproles out for the season or a CB which is a weak spot for them......

Last edited:
Regarding the Joe Thomas trade meme:

His cap hits if he was traded midseason would be about 6 million in 2017 & 10 million in 2018. Affordable for an elite LT. Releasing or trading Fleming would be nearly enough cap for the move.

It honestly makes some sense if BB thinks Solder will be awful the whole season. He could be relegated to swing tackle in this case. Could even ship him off to Seattle for a mid-late round pick if the Pats acquired Thomas.

Joe Thomas to the Pats is the new Fitzgerald to the Pats

I've heard for years that Joe Thomas is a great player, but how could anyone tell with him being on the Browns? They've had 27 QBs and like six wins in the past 15 years.

Is it like "wow, the Browns offense super stinks it up again for the millionth time in a row, but at least Joe blocked that one guy all game."

(I haven't watched him play FWIW)

So, you think the McClellan is ready to come back and contribute, and that Valentine isn't. Why? Valentine would surely help the weakness in the DL (as well as eliminating the 3-3-3 formation.

Patriot fans have said that we have need a pass rusher at least since 1979. (I didn't follow the team before that. EVERY team could use another EDGE defender.

Sure, we need an ILB. I guess the idea is to bench Roberts and Marquise Flowers (we now bench harris) so that we can then say that they should be cut because of reps.

BOTTOM LINE
We can use a backup SS. We can use help at whatever position isn't returning from IR (WR, DL and LB). If Valentine and Mcclellan are healthy, I just don't see the need at their positions. Also, if Mitchell is coming back, we don't need a WR. If not, Fitz would be a welcome addition for the playoffs, but closer to the deadline.

I made my remarks with regard to McClellin based on comments by Mike Reiss. I would love to see Valentine return but I have yet to see such comments made (that he will return at some point during the season). I hope he does.

People have been surprisingly high on Valentine. I feel like he's only marginally better than Brown, and also inconsistent. Even if he came back, i doubt our unit would look too different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes