The Patriots DE Position.. What to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
RE: the DE Position.

Injuries are hitting the team hard. Wise is down with a concussion. Rivers went down today with a leg injury. They lost Ninkovich, Sheard, and Long. That leaves them with Flowers, Grissom, Ealy and Kidder.

The Pats are a bit hamstrung when it comes to being able to trade because they can't trade either their 3rd or 4th pick until after the season since it's tied up in the ROWE trade.

Someone mentioned Aaron Lynch, but with people complaining about Ealy's effort, one of the knocks on Lynch was his effort during his time in Florida after his transfer from Notre Dame.

Mario Williams and Dwight Freeney could be possibilities depending on what they are looking for. The problem with Freeney is that he's useless in the run game. I don't know how much Mario Williams still has left in the tank. He really hasn't done much the last 2 years. And he might be a better fit for the Pats as a 3-4 DE vs. the 4-3..

I'd be looking around the league for players who are 4th /5th on another team's depth chart. Players who you think could develop but won't on the team they're currently on. The other is to look for players in the last year of a contract.

I know that Will Clarke of the Bengals is down on their depth chart (4th behind Johnson, Gilberry, and Dunlap) but he had 5 sacks in limited duty last year. Not sure how he stands up against the run. The Bengals also added 3rd round pick Jordan Willis. Ryan Brown, who spent last year on the Bengals Practice Squad, could be someone they look at also.

I'd like to know what you all think.. Players that the Pats might look at..

Well I have a few ideas that may help but IDK how popular they would be.

ostara_altar_by_reandeanna.jpg

RE: the DE Position.

Injuries are hitting the team hard. Wise is down with a concussion. Rivers went down today with a leg injury. They lost Ninkovich, Sheard, and Long. That leaves them with Flowers, Grissom, Ealy and Kidder.

The Pats are a bit hamstrung when it comes to being able to trade because they can't trade either their 3rd or 4th pick until after the season since it's tied up in the ROWE trade.

Someone mentioned Aaron Lynch, but with people complaining about Ealy's effort, one of the knocks on Lynch was his effort during his time in Florida after his transfer from Notre Dame.

Mario Williams and Dwight Freeney could be possibilities depending on what they are looking for. The problem with Freeney is that he's useless in the run game. I don't know how much Mario Williams still has left in the tank. He really hasn't done much the last 2 years. And he might be a better fit for the Pats as a 3-4 DE vs. the 4-3..

I'd be looking around the league for players who are 4th /5th on another team's depth chart. Players who you think could develop but won't on the team they're currently on. The other is to look for players in the last year of a contract.

I know that Will Clarke of the Bengals is down on their depth chart (4th behind Johnson, Gilberry, and Dunlap) but he had 5 sacks in limited duty last year. Not sure how he stands up against the run. The Bengals also added 3rd round pick Jordan Willis. Ryan Brown, who spent last year on the Bengals Practice Squad, could be someone they look at also.

I'd like to know what you all think.. Players that the Pats might look at..
Flowers
Wise
Ealy
Guy
Rivers
McClellan
Vannoy
Grissom
Butler

We are fine.
None of those injuries have been said to be long term.

Good news is that Rivers should be OK.

He'll probably be out a few weeks though. I mentioned Aaron Lynch in another thread but apparently he's hurt also.

Flowers
Wise
Ealy
Guy
Rivers
McClellan
Vannoy

Grissom
Butler

We are fine.
None of those injuries have been said to be long term.

All of the bolded players falling under the position of DE is highly debatable. Guy and Butler, as true DTs, would be absolutely useless on the edge in pass situations. McClellin has washed out at DE on two different teams, including this one. Van Noy as an edge player is a new wrinkle this offseason and shouldn't be interpreted as "he's a DE now".

Good news is that Rivers should be OK.

He'll probably be out a few weeks though. I mentioned Aaron Lynch in another thread but apparently he's hurt also.

Glad to hear it. It has surprised me how quickly Wise and Rivers have stepped up. Sadly they both had set backs but they are both ahead of where I thought they would be. I am hopeful come playoff time health provided they can be pretty solid and be good options to work with Flowers.

Pot is legal now here but the fake stuff isn't. He will need to adjust. Not sure he can

Don't think we want him after this. Guys are laughing at how pitifully slow he is. Got all that $$$ and is chillin now.

All of the bolded players falling under the position of DE is highly debatable. Guy and Butler, as true DTs, would be absolutely useless on the edge in pass situations. McClellin has washed out at DE on two different teams, including this one. Van Noy as an edge player is a new wrinkle this offseason and shouldn't be interpreted as "he's a DE now".
Guy is a DE/DT. He wont be playing DE on 3rd and long, but even with no injuries expect to see him there on 1st and 10.
McClellin hasn't played DE on this team. He will, however, be in the mix to play like Nink did last year as a DE/OLB hybrid.
Listing the players who can/might/will play snaps at a position does not mean that is all they do.
Butler just played there Thursday.

BB has very often over the years used LBs as DE in nickel/dime situations. There is no reason to believe that McClellin, Van Noy, Hightower could fill that role.

I'm skeptical. He strikes me as barely a situational guy
Agree, but that doesn't mean he cant carve out a role. Its just that we have a lot of guys who are more talented at his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back