PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many teams are really that good in the NFL right now?

It seems like every team is beatable. Injuries are the great equalizer, especially this season, the major injuries to key players this year is insane. The Pats remind me of some of the early 2000’s Pats teams, winning ugly.

Except the early pats teams had historically great Ds that scared the life out of QBs while the 2017 patriots team has a historically bad D which helps revive the careers of mediocre QBs

10/10 teams? 0 - (all time team)
9/10 teams? - o (wagon teams)
8/10 teams? -0 (very good)
7/10 teams? - 2 - KC/Philly

I was going to make a thread about the last time the nfl was this bad but I can't picked a year yet. It has been a while though for sure... if ever.

I was going to make a thread about the last time the nfl was this bad but I can't picked a year yet. It has been a while though for sure... if ever.

i haven't watched a lot of philly.....but one decent win against Carolina.....and not much else....lost to the only other decent team they faced (KC)......i'm not sold

KC came back to earth a little today, too

Osweiler in. Full circle...

they opened it up (finally) in the 2nd half, and looked better.......but without a weapon or two on that final drive, he sharted.....a few badly thrown balls with the game on the line

he's been getting done with a full complement of weapons, i'll give him that.....can he get it done in less than perfect conditions?

time will tell
He’s no Brady or Rodgers, but who is ? There is Brady, Rodgers, and then everybody else. Those are the only 2 QBs I’d want with 2 minutes left need a comeback.

I don't know but we haven't separated ourselves from the rest of the pack. We will see what this team is next week against a struggling falcons team.
But isn't that the point of the original post? Nobody has separated themselves from the rest of the pack. Besides, isn't week six a bit early for that kind of expectation?

Regardless of which team loses next week, that does not doom them for the rest of the season.

The fact that no teams appear to be of what we are used to seeing in terms of championship caliber means that any of about ten or more teams do have legitimate Super Bowl aspirations, regardless of their deficiencies. On some teams it is their offensive line. On others it is their quarterback and offense. For some it is the pass defense. But those are not fatal flaws since all of the competition also have their own weaknesses.

Right now there are no 'complete' teams, which means we fans need to adjust when saying a team is good, bad or average. A team doesn't have to be the greatest of all time. They just need to be the best this year (or the best on February 4).

He’s no Brady or Rodgers, but who is ? There is Brady, Rodgers, and then everybody else. Those are the only 2 QBs I’d want with 2 minutes left need a comeback.

well yeah......but i want to see him play a full game without his full complement of weapons, and see if he continues to play at this high level he's been playing with this year

is alex smith that much better......or is his arsenal

I think that was an okay year there. No all time great teams or great teams but a lot of very good teams.

the Packers had a great offense. New Orleans was still in superbowl form. Yes San Fran was a bit smoke and mirrors with a gimmick QB but that D on the whole was legit tand they had play makers.

In the AFC Baltimore and Pitt were both fairly solid teams. Yes Pitt lot to Tebow but I see that more as 1 bad game. I think the Giants winning going 9-7 in the regular season is a testament to their ability to turn it on. They clearly where one of the better teams if they really wanted to be. I agree it was weaker than usual but still was not a dumpster fire.

For some reason the years coming to mind are 2008, 2006, 2005 (maybe) 2002 (at least the AFC sucked), 2000 (NFC was crap).

You could also argue 2003 but the pats were legit good. Carolina had a great game but they were really the only team in their class that year. Still with a legit team like that IDK if you can count 2003.

IDK. I think those are the years that would come to mind. The 90s in general almost always had at least 1-2 really good teams each year i think. I don't want to go further back than the salary cap era.

I was thinking this today but thinking if from the opposite direction, i.e. How many teams can you already eliminate as having a chance to win the SB. (Either by record, roster or flaw such as QB)

Jete
Bills
Fins
Ravens
Browns
Bengals
Jags
Houston
Indy
Tennessee
Sd
Denver (Simien is fatal flaw)
Giants
Skins
GB
minn
Chicago
Detroit
No
Tampa
Sf
Rams
Cards

So that means you have
Patriots
Steelers
Chiefs
Raiders
Eagles
Cowboys (you could convince me they should be out easily)
Falcons
Panthers (see cowboys)
Seattle.

So it's a 9 team league right now.

I wouldn't put Seattle in that category. I know they always improve but they are absolutely awful on offense. Only team I've seen them look good against was Brissett's Colts. The NFC West isn't great so they could win that but I don't see them doing anything in the post season

I think that was an okay year there. No all time great teams or great teams but a lot of very good teams.

the Packers had a great offense. New Orleans was still in superbowl form. Yes San Fran was a bit smoke and mirrors with a gimmick QB but that D on the whole was legit tand they had play makers.

In the AFC Baltimore and Pitt were both fairly solid teams. Yes Pitt lot to Tebow but I see that more as 1 bad game. I think the Giants winning going 9-7 in the regular season is a testament to their ability to turn it on. They clearly where one of the better teams if they really wanted to be. I agree it was weaker than usual but still was not a dumpster fire.

For some reason the years coming to mind are 2008, 2006, 2005 (maybe) 2002 (at least the AFC sucked), 2000 (NFC was crap).

You could also argue 2003 but the pats were legit good. Carolina had a great game but they were really the only team in their class that year. Still with a legit team like that IDK if you can count 2003.

IDK. I think those are the years that would come to mind. The 90s in general almost always had at least 1-2 really good teams each year i think. I don't want to go further back than the salary cap era.

I thought there were 2 really good AFC teams in 02- OAK and TEN.

I don’t think the AFC was good at all in 2011. Pitt was a paper tiger... their defense was close to last in turnovers and sacks. Even the AFC champion Pats had no wins against winning teams until the AFCCG and they were lucky to even have that win. The NFC had flawed teams top to bottom. Was a perfect opportunity for a Giants to capitalize.

I was thinking this today but thinking if from the opposite direction, i.e. How many teams can you already eliminate as having a chance to win the SB. (Either by record, roster or flaw such as QB)

Jete
Bills
Fins
Ravens
Browns
Bengals
Jags
Houston
Indy
Tennessee
Sd
Denver (Simien is fatal flaw)
Giants
Skins
GB
minn
Chicago
Detroit
No
Tampa
Sf
Rams
Cards

So that means you have
Patriots
Steelers
Chiefs
Raiders
Eagles
Cowboys (you could convince me they should be out easily)
Falcons
Panthers (see cowboys)
Seattle.

So it's a 9 team league right now.
And even out of those, I have a hard time seeing a good 5-6 of them winning the SB.

Eagles are the one team that really intrigues me out of those from the NFC. Wentz is like a better more mobile version of Flacco. Sturdy QB's like them are built for January football.

Denver is a good team with a great defense. Even assuming they lose tonight, to eliminate them in October is silly.

Who the hell is eliminating them?

Who the hell is eliminating them?
In my post I listed the teams I don't consider potential SB winners and I listed Denver because of the QB.
I have 9 teams as potential SB winners at this point.

NE
PITT
KC
Oakland
Philly
Atl
Seattle
and grudgingly Dallas and Carolina

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes