PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many teams are really that good in the NFL right now?

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
You know, it's funny. Despite how ugly we've played we remain 4-2, which is pretty solid. Look around in the NFL right now.

I'm really having a hard time finding teams I can point to and say that they look like legitly good teams. KC and Philly perhaps are the only two? Green Bay just lost Rodgers so that's another one that we could cross off for the time being. Maybe Denver depending on how they fare over the next few weeks?

This is probably the weakest I've seen the NFL competition be in a long time. We obviously need to get better still in many ways, but we may not be as far off course here as we think.

Right now every NFL team has some issues. Pointing out flaws about one team (such as the Patriots) is meaningless without a useful comparison.

The owners wanted parity, with the idea that each team would be competing for a division title and going to the playoffs every few years. As a law of unintended consequences what they received instead was sloppy play and a lot of mediocrity.

The biggest issue league wide may be porous offensive lines. Expect the competition committee to come up with a short sighted remedy next spring.

It seems like every team is beatable. Injuries are the great equalizer, especially this season, the major injuries to key players this year is insane. The Pats remind me of some of the early 2000’s Pats teams, winning ugly.

Just like most years, every team is beatable...but this year truly carries a great deal of parity and inconsistency.

I still think KC is the best in the AFC.

It seems like every team is beatable. Injuries are the great equalizer, especially this season, the major injuries to key players this year is insane. The Pats remind me of some of the early 2000’s Pats teams, winning ugly.
But boy, the big difference is the competition. Those early 2000's Pats teams were so impressive because the AFC was stacked back in those days. 14-2 wasn't enough for the 1 seed in 2004. The 2006 Pats team went 12-4, and only could get the 4th seed.

New England back at #1 in fivethirtyeight.com rankings.

But boy, the big difference is the competition. Those early 2000's Pats teams were so impressive because the AFC was stacked back in those days. 14-2 wasn't enough for the 1 seed in 2004. The 2006 Pats team went 12-4, and only could get the 4th seed.
Very true, that’s why the AFC is wide open this year. Pats aren’t 2016 good, but hopefully this is a repeat of 2014. Upcoming schedule is scary though. A pissed off Falcon team (especially after today) looking for revenge vs a team that embarrassed them in the 2nd half of the SB, and it’s on National TV ! Then Denver and Oakland in back to back weeks in weeks 10 & 11. Next 4 games are critical.

It's hard to pick a favorite, it's actually even hard to pick a 3 team 'élite'' tier right now at this point because nobody's truly looked great except KC/Philly and we all know their playoff history.

What we do know is we have the GOAT QB who clearly still got it aside from this shoulder situation last couple weeks, and we have a battle tested group who clearly still has alot of grit. Won 3 of 4 close games and even the one that we lost was a gutsy 14 pt 4th quarter comeback. We aren't the favorites like we thought but still like our chances in this league, and history says things will likely get better for us as the season goes.

People tend to be biased towards what they've most recently seen, but if you look at the big picture, it would be tough to deny KC has played the best so far this season.

However, there is certainly no team just running away with things. NFC is wide open after Rodgers' injury and in the AFC, you can never count NE out.

It's hard to pick a favorite, it's actually even hard to pick a 3 team 'élite'' tier right now at this point because nobody's truly looked great except KC/Philly and we all know their playoff history.

What we do know is we have the GOAT QB who clearly still got it aside from this shoulder situation last couple weeks, and we have a battle tested group who clearly still has alot of grit. Won 3 of 4 close games and even the one that we lost was a gutsy 14 pt 4th quarter comeback. We aren't the favorites like we thought but still like our chances in this league, and history says things will likely get better for us as the season goes.

Good point indeed. This team gets better and really starts crushing it in November. Also, in a few weeks I hope we get some of our guys back from IR (Mitchell and McClellin ?), and hopefully we have one or both Rowe and Gilmore back for the Atlanta, Broncos and Raiders games.

On any given Sunday. Right now, I think any team in the NFL could beat another team, and I would not be surprised. In the NFC, I think the Eagles are going to be there all year long. That defense has a tremendous front 7 and can be dominant.

A Pats playoff game in Denver is not something I want to see. Ever. Been scarred since 1987.

You know, it's funny. Despite how ugly we've played we remain 4-2, which is pretty solid. Look around in the NFL right now.

I'm really having a hard time finding teams I can point to and say that they look like legitly good teams. KC and Philly perhaps are the only two? Green Bay just lost Rodgers so that's another one that we could cross off for the time being. Maybe Denver depending on how they fare over the next few weeks?

This is probably the weakest I've seen the NFL competition be in a long time. We obviously need to get better still in many ways, but we may not be as far off course here as we think.
I was thinking this today but thinking if from the opposite direction, i.e. How many teams can you already eliminate as having a chance to win the SB. (Either by record, roster or flaw such as QB)

Jete
Bills
Fins
Ravens
Browns
Bengals
Jags
Houston
Indy
Tennessee
Sd
Denver (Simien is fatal flaw)
Giants
Skins
GB
minn
Chicago
Detroit
No
Tampa
Sf
Rams
Cards

So that means you have
Patriots
Steelers
Chiefs
Raiders
Eagles
Cowboys (you could convince me they should be out easily)
Falcons
Panthers (see cowboys)
Seattle.

So it's a 9 team league right now.

I don't know but we haven't separated ourselves from the rest of the pack. We will see what this team is next week against a struggling falcons team.

Ask the board in December

New England back at #1 in fivethirtyeight.com rankings.
538.com uses games cumulatively to generate an ELO Score (like we see in chess rankings) going back to last season. That's why the Patriots are 1st - and the Falcons are 3rd.

I was thinking this today but thinking if from the opposite direction, i.e. How many teams can you already eliminate as having a chance to win the SB. (Either by record, roster or flaw such as QB)

Jete
Bills
Fins
Ravens
Browns
Bengals
Jags
Houston
Indy
Tennessee
Sd
Denver (Simien is fatal flaw)
Giants
Skins
GB
minn
Chicago
Detroit
No
Tampa
Sf
Rams
Cards

So that means you have
Patriots
Steelers
Chiefs
Raiders
Eagles
Cowboys (you could convince me they should be out easily)
Falcons
Panthers (see cowboys)
Seattle.

So it's a 9 team league right now.
Not sure why you don't have Denver on that list. They won a Super Bowl 2 years ago with a historically bad QB, so don't tell me they can't overcome the current deficiencies at that position.

KC got dinged up today and the real alex smith showed up......they are still tough, but looked beatable today for sure
I don’t know, I thought Alex Smith looked really good in the 2nd half. This is definitely his best year, he looks great. Not a fan, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Not sure why you don't have Denver on that list. They won a Super Bowl 2 years ago with a historically bad QB, so don't tell me they can't overcome the current deficiencies at that position.
Just my opinion.
Their defense isn't as good as it was then.

I don’t know, I thought Alex Smith looked really good in the 2nd half. This is definitely his best year, he looks great. Not a fan, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

they opened it up (finally) in the 2nd half, and looked better.......but without a weapon or two on that final drive, he sharted.....a few badly thrown balls with the game on the line

he's been getting done with a full complement of weapons, i'll give him that.....can he get it done in less than perfect conditions?

time will tell

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back