PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gordon Hayward signing 4 yr max contract with Celtics

Status
Not open for further replies.
For people believing this puts the Celtics ahead of the Cavs or with golden state lets hear your reasoning.

I see a few people on here (me included) correctly stating while they like this move it isn't enough. If you think it is enough say why. Explain why this puts them ahead of the Cavs.

My thoughts for why it doesn't is the Cavs still have James and Irving and they are better than any players the Celtics have. Doubling one of them won't work cause we can't defend the other and we don't have the scorers to keep up.

As much as I like Thomas the holes in his offensive game are exploited vs that team to a degree and his defense is way to much to over come.

So no way to beat the Cavs with this team as it is now. IF they add another star maybe.. Needs to be someone really good though. Better than Hayward is which will be hard to get.

************ people...its bad enough we have one post about the Celtics in the football forum, now we have two. Why can't we just follow the rules and post **** in the correct forum. I dont give a crap if there is zero football to talk about, but post in the right forum.

also, while i am at it, here is a question. where is the appropriate forum to discuss Beast mode Lynch playing soccer? Its kinda football related since he is an american football player (and soccer is actually called football), but in America it is called soccer. So where should that discussion take place, in the football forum, or the other sports forum.

lastly, welcome to Boston Jimmy Chitwood

Hey this forum had a thread on the death of Princess Leia.

At least this thread is about Boston sports.

Nope. This doesn't even get the Celtics past the Cavs but it does close that gap some.

The Celtics to beat GSWs need Anthony Davis and a few more stars. Without Anthony Davis or Lebron James(as much as i am not a fan of him) beating GSWs is not even worth discussing. Can't happen if they are healthy.

You need to keep in mind the Warriors have 2 of the top 4 most impactful players in the NBA. Unless you have 1 of the other 2 at least you can't even talk about beating them in a 7 game series.

To beat GSWs you need this kind of team IMO

Anthony Davis
Kawhi Leonard

add in Horford, Thomas and Hayward which the Celtics have and now you have a pretty good shot. Take just 1 of those pieces away though and you are the underdog.

The is how good Golden State is right now. The NBA needs to fix its league cause it shouldn't be like this. There should be a hard cap with no max contracts or no cap with a luxury tax.

Doing it the way they do it sometimes creates teams like these which are frankly not in the spirit of competition.
I wasn't trying to say that this gets us past the Cavs but more just analyzing it against the really big fish in GSW.

As I said we clearly need at least one more big piece to compete with GSW.

With that said I think this team while not the favorites could defeat the Cavs (has a fighting chance) but probably not GSW. so hopefully they can make one more significant move. That's where I asked if they were serious about George might there still be something else that might actually be able to do to give them a fighting chance vs. GSW? And actually give us more than a fighting chance vs the Cavs?

I guess I should ask do you think George could have done that? Then ask what else can we do now?

I wasn't trying to say that this gets us past the Cavs but more just analyzing it against the really big fish in GSW.

As I said we clearly need at least one more big piece to compete with GSW.

With that said I think this team while not the favorites could defeat the Cavs (has a fighting chance) but probably not GSW. so hopefully they can make one more significant move. That's where I asked if they were serious about George might there still be something else that might actually be able to do to give them a fighting chance vs. GSW? And actually give us more than a fighting chance vs the Cavs?

I guess I should ask do you think George could have done that? Then ask what else can we do now?

Fair enough points. I will say this was probably the best moves of the ones floated out there just for picking up a contract. As for what more they could have done to close the gap enough to make them the favorite vs GS or even the Cavs? Probably nothing to be honest. And it sucks to say that.

The only way they close the gap with the Cavs (lets take golden state out of it) probably includes getting either Kawhi Leonard, James Harden, Anthony Davis or Russell Westbrook. Maybe 2 of them even.

Frankly I doubt getting better than the Cavs was a possibility this year unless they got worse themselves. I just don't want people to have unrealistic expectations though I do like the move. You get a player for free (no assets used). Got to love that.

Nope. This doesn't even get the Celtics past the Cavs but it does close that gap some.

The Celtics to beat GSWs need Anthony Davis and a few more stars. Without Anthony Davis or Lebron James(as much as i am not a fan of him) beating GSWs is not even worth discussing. Can't happen if they are healthy.

You need to keep in mind the Warriors have 2 of the top 4 most impactful players in the NBA. Unless you have 1 of the other 2 at least you can't even talk about beating them in a 7 game series.

Anthony Davis
Kawhi Leonard

add in Horford, Thomas and Hayward which the Celtics have and now you have a pretty good shot. Take just 1 of those pieces away though and you are the underdog.

The is how good Golden State is right now. The NBA needs to fix its league cause it shouldn't be like this. There should be a hard cap with no max contracts or no cap with a luxury tax.

Doing it the way they do it sometimes creates teams like these which are frankly not in the spirit of competition.

I am not so sure about that. We have 3 all star players now and 2 younger budding players. And who knows what happens between now and the start of the season but even if this is the team we have going forward we have a shot at the finals. We are still 2 years away from winning a title and maybe even 3 years. After that I assume Hayward will sign and extention and the kids will grow up or maybe we trade those kids and picks for a big time player.

I've been grateful for this thread. It's the only thing going on lately unless you like reading a bunch of word salad arguments about Jimmy the HOF backup QB vs Tom Brady the AARP card carrying QB.
I know one particular member on this forum that seems to be really enjoying them.

I'm looking right above me. :rolleyes:

Anthony Davis
Kawhi Leonard

Neither the hard cap nor the no cap is going to matter. Basketball is what it is because it has the fewest players. It's a 5-8 man team, realistically, and the impact of each player is greater as a result. Historically, all it's taken is 3 great players to make a consistent champion and, when you get more than that, you get super teams (80's Celtics and Lakers, for example).

What's happened in the last few years is that it's been the players creating the teams instead of just the GMs. Other than that, nothing's really changed.

************ people...its bad enough we have one post about the Celtics in the football forum, now we have two. Why can't we just follow the rules and post **** in the correct forum. I dont give a crap if there is zero football to talk about, but post in the right forum.

also, while i am at it, here is a question. where is the appropriate forum to discuss Beast mode Lynch playing soccer? Its kinda football related since he is an american football player (and soccer is actually called football), but in America it is called soccer. So where should that discussion take place, in the football forum, or the other sports forum.

lastly, welcome to Boston Jimmy Chitwood

Your pantry is alphabetically ordered, isn't it? Be honest.

For people believing this puts the Celtics ahead of the Cavs or with golden state lets hear your reasoning.

I see a few people on here (me included) correctly stating while they like this move it isn't enough. If you think it is enough say why. Explain why this puts them ahead of the Cavs.

My thoughts for why it doesn't is the Cavs still have James and Irving and they are better than any players the Celtics have. Doubling one of them won't work cause we can't defend the other and we don't have the scorers to keep up.

As much as I like Thomas the holes in his offensive game are exploited vs that team to a degree and his defense is way to much to over come.

So no way to beat the Cavs with this team as it is now. IF they add another star maybe.. Needs to be someone really good though. Better than Hayward is which will be hard to get.

Irving is better than any players the Celtics have? If he is, it's not by much. Here's the problem with your analysis: It isn't Irving and James against the Celtics. It's 12 on 12. Taytum is an elite scorer, so is Hayward and IT. Not to mention how much deeper this team will be. Zicic and Yabusele will add rebounding and rim protection. Ojeleye may end up in Maine, but he looks like the steal of the draft and would be a great addition. Nader will be coming up. D League Rookie of the year. Very polished, mid 20s player. This is not a young kid. He is an experienced guy. And Jaylen will be another year further in his progression. All of them will be a big upgrade over the current role players.

The Celtics were open for the entire Eastern Conference Finals. They just weren't talented enough to knock down the shots. That wont be a problem this year. The Cavs are one of the worst defensive teams in the league. They had success against the Celtics last year because the could key in on IT. They wont be able to do that this year and will struggle against the Celtics defensively.

Not only is it possible that they take out the Cavs this year, I think it's very likely. You are too focused on stars. This isn't fantasy basketball. The Celtics aren't top heavy but they are very deep. That should be enough to beat Cleveland. Cleveland is not the juggernaut people make them out to be. They are just in a very weak conference. They are top heavy, assuming James is still James at his age. But after Irving, LeBron and Love there is a massive drop off in talent and they can't defend. The Cavs do not scare me.

Ainge is doing a great job of rebuilding the Celtics. They have a very young and talented team that will get to be battle tested over the next couple of years. They have two top talents in Thomas and Hayward, and they have the young talent and picks to deal, as well as what should be two top five picks in s reportedly strong draft next year. Cleveland is going to crater after 2017 and the Celtics should be in position to take over the Eastern Conference in 2018. It will take a few more really good moves but they are building a really strong young team. Going forward the Bucks could actually be the team they have to deal with to get to the Finals.

I like the Bucks' talent. But until they can win a playoff series I am more afraid of Washington and Toronto.

Anthony Davis
Kawhi Leonard

The Cavs didn't lose to the Warrriors because they don't have enough stars. They lost because they are a terrible defensive team. Teams don't win based on how many stars they have. They win based on how effectively they play as a unit. The Celtics had nowhere near the talent that Golden State did the last two years. Yet they are 2-0 vs the Warriors and have a perfect record in Golden State in that time frame.

Would love to see them add Chris Bosh to the mix if there is any way that it is possible within reason. Hopefully Smart goes out as on of the guys cut to make room. That would be my dream offseason.

Been watching since the 80s. My five least favorite Celtics:

5) Mark Blount
4) Jiri Welsch
3) Dan ****au
2) Pervis Ellison
1) Marcus Smart

In that order.

Last edited:
QUOTE="AndyJohnson, post: 5045118, member: 1939"]Wow. A lifetime highlight for you huh?[/QUOTE]
:)The mental case chimes in...

I do not understand the NBA and all its drama even though I have been a fan since the 50's.. never seen it this bad, twitter was on "fire" yesterday with Hayward signed, then he didn't and then he did..

What I understand less is the NBA salary cap.. somehow Golden State pays their players 125 million and is 26 million over the salary cap, now the Celtics have exceeded the threshold and have to get rid of players???..

I used to really enjoy the NBA, but less so now..

NBA 2017 Cap Tracker

Very soon the naysayers' mantra will be: Calm down, Hayward's not that good...

The Celtics were open for the entire Eastern Conference Finals. They just weren't talented enough to knock down the shots. That wont be a problem this year. The Cavs are one of the worst defensive teams in the league. They had success against the Celtics last year because the could key in on IT. They wont be able to do that this year and will struggle against the Celtics defensively.

Not only is it possible that they take out the Cavs this year, I think it's very likely. You are too focused on stars. This isn't fantasy basketball. The Celtics aren't top heavy but they are very deep. That should be enough to beat Cleveland. Cleveland is not the juggernaut people make them out to be. They are just in a very weak conference. They are top heavy, assuming James is still James at his age. But after Irving, LeBron and Love there is a massive drop off in talent and they can't defend. The Cavs do not scare me.
Yes, and picture a year from now when LeBron heads to LA and we have yet another high first round pick in our hands...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back