PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Signings around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dayum, that is a lot of quid.

I suppose the market is now somewhat set for McCourty. Guy's going to make bank but I think BB will back up the Brinks truck to keep him.

I don't understand why bb didn't lock up mccourty yet, the tendency for the safety's market was only going to rise.

Some comments on the last couple of pages:

1. The thing to remember about running games, is you can stop ANY running game with a good scheme and average players. However to stop a good passing attack you need a combination of excellent skill players in the secondary and a lot of high end pass rushers. So if Rex thinks the way to keep his job is to run counter to the prevailing wind in the NFL, he isn't going to scare me, or many opposing DC's with a ground and pound based offense

2. I think everyone liked Mo Wilkerson at the end of the first round that year. He looked to be a solid 3-4 DE in the Ty Warren mold. However I don't think anyone, even his most ardent supporters, would have predicted he would become the pass rushing force he's become. Great player and my favorite Jet. It only shows how players CAN vastly improve their games even after their first 2 years in the league, and why fans should be more patient with their knee jerk assessments

3. The news about Earl Thomas' new contract is not good news for the Pats. McCourty might take less than Thomas, but not much less. So if Thomas' contract turns out to be a $10MM/yr deal, then the FLOOR for McCourty's deal just became $9MM/yr. :eek: And if THAT's the case, enjoy this year with Revis and McCourty manning one side of the field, because the Pats will NEVER pay more than $20MM/yr on 2 DB's.

Dayum, that is a lot of quid.

I suppose the market is now somewhat set for McCourty. Guy's going to make bank but I think BB will back up the Brinks truck to keep him.

The market has always been set for McCourty and it's nothing more than $7m-$8m AAV

3. The news about Earl Thomas' new contract is not good news for the Pats. McCourty might take less than Thomas, but not much less. So if Thomas' contract turns out to be a $10MM/yr deal, then the FLOOR for McCourty's deal just became $9MM/yr. :eek: And if THAT's the case, enjoy this year with Revis and McCourty manning one side of the field, because the Pats will NEVER pay more than $20MM/yr on 2 DB's.

So much wrong in this.

McCourty isn't Earl Thomas. So he won't be getting Earl Thomas Money.

Revis isn't any ole DB, he's a hall of famer. Belichick makes exceptions for guys like him. And with the cap likely increasing to $145m next year and $160m in '16 it is very doable.

So much wrong in this.

McCourty isn't Earl Thomas. So he won't be getting Earl Thomas Money.

Revis isn't any ole DB, he's a hall of famer. Belichick makes exceptions for guys like him. And with the cap likely increasing to $145m next year and $160m in '16 it is very doable.
A couple of points:

1. I think you are completely off the mark in valuating McCourty's worth on the market that Thomas set. If Thomas's contract is actually $10MM then McCourty's should be SLIGHTLY below that.

2. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope that YOUR assessment is correct.

3. Unless Revis is willing to stay long term at a 10-12MM/yr level, I can't see him here beyond this year. I understand that the cap is going to significantly increase, but I can't look at Revis in a Vacuum. There are a number of players who are going to require significant raises in the next 2 years. This is a very young club, and rookie contracts are starting to run out.

Again I can only hope that you are right and the Pats can justify $15-16MM/yr as good value for Revis, as WELL as a legitimate fit in their salary structure.

Geeze, wonder how they are going to be able to keep Sherman and Wilson.

People appear to be forgetting the salary cap looks to be exponentially increasing in the next 5 years or so. We're stuck in the dogma of 120 million dollar caps. That number has been reported to be pushing closer to 160 in coming years.

Next few years it's going up A LOT. We will be able to keep guys like Revis, Gronk ext. Most teams will be able to keep their big name guys

Next few years it's going up A LOT. We will be able to keep guys like Revis, Gronk ext. Most teams will be able to keep their big name guys

People appear to be forgetting the salary cap looks to be exponentially increasing in the next 5 years or so. We're stuck in the dogma of 120 million dollar caps. That number has been reported to be pushing closer to 160 in coming years.

Thanks guys, I didn't realize it was supposed to be going up that much in the near future. Will definitely help us to keep some of our own players.

I can't see Belichick letting Revis or McCourty go not after what dividends they'll pay in that secondary that I can't wait to see tear up the league.

As mentioned before the Patriots put up some serious coin for special players......Revis situation is just like when Moss came.....coming off a down year and people questioning his alpha status, with a one-year rental approach all the fans have/had. Well he ate the competition alive as will Revis and appropriate money was given to insure his tenure wearing a Pat's Uni. Revis won't leave until his contract outweighs his performance significantly. The same goes for McCourty who has been nothing short of impressive......not many CB to Safety conversions work out too well. With the Cap being as such in the coming years I can't see why not keeping both and re-upping all the rookies as well

That's a nice extension for Thomas. Don't think McCourty is as good as him so he will come in below that. I am still confident he will sign an extension with NE. I don't think there's any way BB lets that guy walk. He's a perfect Patriot.

That's a nice extension for Thomas. Don't think McCourty is as good as him so he will come in below that. I am still confident he will sign an extension with NE. I don't think there's any way BB lets that guy walk. He's a perfect Patriot.

I know this has been the general consensus around here, in regards to us all assuming that he'll be extended. I did read a report about a month ago that said that they weren't making any headway, however. Who knows if there's any truth to it, or if it's just another unsubstantiated rumor looking for website clicks, but there's also the fact that McCourty's twin brother received an enormous contract a couple of years ago too. I think he got close to 45 million total. Whether or not that comes into play is anyone's guess, but the possibility exists that Belichick may have to make the tough decision of choosing Revis or McCourty next spring. We'll have to see.

I don't like the way the cap increases for the next couple of years. Trying not to be biased, but the whole thing about the NFL was to draft good players to eventually replace good players that leave for more money, as some teams would have more cap space. However, With said increase, all teams have confortable cap space to manage and resign players and, thus, in my opinion, will be much easier to inflate the market for players in general (Thomas is an example. I know he might be the best on the league, but 10M/Y for a S is a little bit too much)

Letting my Pats' heart speak now, i think the patriots have to retain McCourty, since there will be money to spend- maybe 7-8M/Y Average is a good range. Hopefully, he and Mayo will be the leaders of this defense for year to come.

Letting my Pats' heart speak now, i think the patriots have to retain McCourty, since there will be money to spend- maybe 7-8M/Y Average is a good range. Hopefully, he and Mayo will be the leaders of this defense for year to come.

I think we all assumed that to be the range a couple/few months ago, but that may very well have bumped up now after the safety market his risen. By the time the franchise tag comes about next spring, it will be at least 9.5m.

That's a dramatic difference from the 6m or so that we recently saw in 2012....

It may end up costing them much more to retain McCourty than anyone initially realized. I obviously hope not, but only time will tell. With the addition of Revis, my concern is that they'll have a hard time keeping them both on long term deals.

I think we all assumed that to be .the range a couple/few months ago, but that may very well have bumped up now after the safety market his risen. By the time the franchise tag comes about next spring, it will be at least 9.5m.

That's a dramatic difference from the 6m or so that we recently saw in 2012....

It may end up costing them much more to retain McCourty than anyone initially realized. I obviously hope not, but only time will tell. With the addition of Revis, my concern is that they'll have a hard time keeping them both on long term deals.

Well, i wouldn't be mad for a 9MM/Y for McCourty, even though it'd be a little bit overpriced in my eyes, but that's what I meant when I envisioned 7-8M being a good range, it could go somewhat north or south.

On Revis and McCourty, I am 50%/50% that we'll retain bot. I think it depends heavily on how well this season plays out, for the whole D#. Also consider that Mankins and Wilfork are losing leverage on theirs multi-million contracts, so it's possible that a dramatic cut could be in the plans for the near future. That would create a lot of space, and granting a good part of it for pair that could be as dominant as Darrelle and Devin is undoubetly positive for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back