PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Signings around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revis is not stupid, what happens when you get a big deal like he got last year with Tampa, I mean, a team with not a chance to even go to the playoffs? You can put the Raiders or Cleveland here if you want.

The franchise throw a lot of money in a fancy FA to give the fans something to celebrate, calm things down and take the focus off the front office. After a disgusting season, they realize that paying that much money for a CB or any player that is not a QB or an absolutely game changer WR is not going to drive them to the promised land. Then, they end up cutting the player.

In a franchise like NE, Denver, and the other contenders, he may not eat up all the cap space, there are other top players to pay, but he realizes that he is part of the picture, part of the process of being a winning franchise, so he will get his money. I think it's better to have your fair share guaranteed and constantly cashing in over the time than getting a truck loaded of money not knowing what is going to happen in a year. Also, Revis already made a ton of money, playing for this sorry franchises should be an awful experience for a future hall of fame player, once you play for a winning franchise, it should be hard to downgrade to a 5-11 team.

Other aspect to consider, like in real life, changing jobs frequently is not a good thing, Revis is one move away of having a record of 4 jobs in a short time span of 2 or 3 years. Teams will take this into consideration before committing with him, the history of a holdout is another thing that is not going to help him.

So almost hitting the 30's, I think is more inclined to settle down and stay in a franchise that is a contender every year, playing with a HOF QB, HOF coach, trying to write his name in the history, than testing the market every year. He will make top dollar, but maybe not "the top". As far as I know, neither Brady nor Manning care about being the most paid QB in the league, just a note.

Revis appears to be so confident in his game that he may be willing to have one year deal every year, fully guaranteed, some people here also said something in these lines when we first got to know that was a 1 year deal with NE, but in a league with this amount of injuries, having a secure blanket is not a bad thing. It's all about the guaranteed money. Contracts worth nothing in NFL, it's almost a standard that the big contracts are restructured at some point and almost all the time the player is the side that end up without leverage. I doubt Talib will make all that money.

With all that said I think (and hope) Revis is going to stay here after this upcoming season.

Miles Austin is a brown.

@caplannfl: #Browns also announced the signing of WR Earl Bennett.

Browns look like they are preparing for life without Gordon:

Little, Hawkins, Austin, Burleson, Bennett

Goodluck to Manziel.

Bucs released TE Tom Crabtree, worth a look? Greg Little was released by the Browns too, he isn't worth a look!

Fair compensation is andre johnson.

Agreed. Another thing to consider though is that it has been reported that there is "mutual interest" on both sides to eventually have a long term contract worked out. I wonder if they already have a framework worked out and are just waiting for the right time to iron out final details and signing it.
I'm sure that the Front Office has discussed long term deals with both Revis and McCourty. Getting an actual deal is much harder, and it won't be any less expensive if we wait.

This is from 7 days ago, I didn't see it in any place. A 6th + Thompkins?

BLACKMON NO LONGER HAS JAGUARS LOCKER

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jaguars general manager David Caldwell has said the team is planning to not have suspended receiver Justin Blackmon for 2014 and there was finally some concrete evidence of that on Tuesday.

The third-year receiver no longer has a locker in the Jaguars' locker room. Quarterback Stephen Morris, whom the team signed on Monday as an undrafted free agent, is occupying the locker that Blackmon used during his first two seasons.

Blackmon kept his locker during the second half of the 2013 season despite being suspended indefinitely after Week 8 because of a third violation of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy, but the team needed it this week because the roster expands to 90 with the addition of the nine draft picks and 17 undrafted free agents.

Blackmon, the fifth overall pick in 2012, was also suspended for the first four games of the 2013 season and caught 29 passes for 415 yards and a touchdown in the next four games. He is eligible to petition the NFL for reinstatement this summer but it’s likely he’ll have to serve at least another eight-game suspension.

Jaguars owner Shad Khan said he's disturbed by what is happening with Blackmon.

"I think it's an absolute tragedy," Khan said. "... I think he’s such a talented guy. The best years [are] ahead of him but after a while it’s out of your control."

Khan said that while the contact between Blackmon and the team is restricted by NFL rules, he hopes Blackmon takes advantage of the help available.

"The league, the players association, there’s a huge amount of resources," Khan said. "Please take advantage of it. If you’re a player it’s like all of this stuff is being offered to you. Take advantage of it. I think NFL players are so lucky from the viewpoint all these resources that are available to them."

A 6th + Thompkins?
Why would you trade anything for a guy that is indefinitely suspended from the league right now? He definitely won't be playing in '14. And unless he gets his act together and shows the league he has it's possible he won't be playing in '15.

Last edited:
Revis is not stupid, what happens when you get a big deal like he got last year with Tampa, I mean, a team with not a chance to even go to the playoffs? You can put the Raiders or Cleveland here if you want.

The franchise throw a lot of money in a fancy FA to give the fans something to celebrate, calm things down and take the focus off the front office. After a disgusting season, they realize that paying that much money for a CB or any player that is not a QB or an absolutely game changer WR is not going to drive them to the promised land. Then, they end up cutting the player.

In a franchise like NE, Denver, and the other contenders, he may not eat up all the cap space, there are other top players to pay, but he realizes that he is part of the picture, part of the process of being a winning franchise, so he will get his money. I think it's better to have your fair share guaranteed and constantly cashing in over the time than getting a truck loaded of money not knowing what is going to happen in a year. Also, Revis already made a ton of money, playing for this sorry franchises should be an awful experience for a future hall of fame player, once you play for a winning franchise, it should be hard to downgrade to a 5-11 team.

Other aspect to consider, like in real life, changing jobs frequently is not a good thing, Revis is one move away of having a record of 4 jobs in a short time span of 2 or 3 years. Teams will take this into consideration before committing with him, the history of a holdout is another thing that is not going to help him.

So almost hitting the 30's, I think is more inclined to settle down and stay in a franchise that is a contender every year, playing with a HOF QB, HOF coach, trying to write his name in the history, than testing the market every year. He will make top dollar, but maybe not "the top". As far as I know, neither Brady nor Manning care about being the most paid QB in the league, just a note.

Revis appears to be so confident in his game that he may be willing to have one year deal every year, fully guaranteed, some people here also said something in these lines when we first got to know that was a 1 year deal with NE, but in a league with this amount of injuries, having a secure blanket is not a bad thing. It's all about the guaranteed money. Contracts worth nothing in NFL, it's almost a standard that the big contracts are restructured at some point and almost all the time the player is the side that end up without leverage. I doubt Talib will make all that money.

With all that said I think (and hope) Revis is going to stay here after this upcoming season.

The parallels you try to draw between regular professionals (commodities) and a top 3 cornerback in the NFL is absolutely insane. Putting age aside and keeping his relative talent the same, Revis could play for all 31 teams in 31 seasons and in his 32nd season the 32nd team would still sign him to an incredible deal. Top players help teams win, and as a franchise like the Patriots have shown, wins make more money for the franchise than anything else.

A lot of players lose sight of the fact that the NFL is a business, but Revis appears to have an incredible grasp of this fact and uses it to his advantage, rather than letting it work against him like most players do.

Why would you trade anything for a guy that is indefinitely suspended from the league right now? He definitely won't be playing in '14. And unless he gets his act together and shows the league he has it's possible he won't be playing in '15.

my bad I read the article without attention, I thought he was suspended by the jaguars not the league.

He can apply for reinstatement before this year starts.

The parallels you try to draw between regular professionals (commodities) and a top 3 cornerback in the NFL is absolutely insane. Putting age aside and keeping his relative talent the same, Revis could play for all 31 teams in 31 seasons and in his 32nd season the 32nd team would still sign him to an incredible deal. Top players help teams win, and as a franchise like the Patriots have shown, wins make more money for the franchise than anything else.

A lot of players lose sight of the fact that the NFL is a business, but Revis appears to have an incredible grasp of this fact and uses it to his advantage, rather than letting it work against him like most players do.

I didn't say he couldn't I just said that is a factor, if it's a big deal or not changing teams like changing clothes it's another problem, but it is a factor to be considered depending on the direction the management of a given franchise wants to follow.

I still think a top 3 cornerback helps a contender team to win, nothing else, his two last seasons playing for the jets and his last season in Tampa are good examples of that. If it's worth for these franchises spend 16Mi on a CB, I don't think it is, but who am I? I agree with your last statement though, Revis is a good business man.

From Reiss:

The New England Patriots continued to fill out their roster Monday by signing rookie free agents Malcolm Butler and Taylor McCuller.

Butler is a cornerback who played at West Alabama, while McCuller is a linebacker from West Texas A&M. Both presumably took part in the team's rookie camp over the weekend on a tryout basis.

The signings, coupled with the team confirming Sunday's reported signing of Maine receiverDerrick Johnson, brings the Patriots' roster to 89 players. Teams are allowed up to 90 players at this time.

The 24-year-old Butler (5-11, 180) began his college career at Hinds (Mississippi) Community College in 2011 before transferring to West Alabama for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. He was an all-conference pick in both seasons and led the conference with 18 passes defended in 2013.

The 24-year-old McCuller (6-2, 240) played in 38 games with 30 starts for West Texas A&M. He was credited with 281 tackles and four forced fumbles over his career.​

Rookies Malcolm Butler and Taylor McCuller join New England Patriots | espnBoston

------------------------------

From now on there will be lots of additions and cuts, maybe a thread for this roster bubble is in order.

Last edited:
He can apply for reinstatement before this year starts.

I wouldn't trade a 6th and Thompkins for him anyways. I'd trade for him with a conditional 7th round pick only. Gotta cover all the stops on this one. This guy is another suspension away from being banned for life!

The New England Patriots continued to fill out their roster Monday by signing rookie free agents Malcolm Butler and Taylor McCuller.

Butler is a cornerback who played at West Alabama, while McCuller is a linebacker from West Texas A&M. Both presumably took part in the team's rookie camp over the weekend on a tryout basis.

The signings, coupled with the team confirming Sunday's reported signing of Maine receiverDerrick Johnson, brings the Patriots' roster to 89 players. Teams are allowed up to 90 players at this time.

The 24-year-old Butler (5-11, 180) began his college career at Hinds (Mississippi) Community College in 2011 before transferring to West Alabama for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. He was an all-conference pick in both seasons and led the conference with 18 passes defended in 2013.

The 24-year-old McCuller (6-2, 240) played in 38 games with 30 starts for West Texas A&M. He was credited with 281 tackles and four forced fumbles over his career.

------------------------------

From now on there will be lots of additions and cuts, maybe a thread for this roster bubble is in order.

Friend, if you cut and paste from Mike Reiss' blog you should attribute your post to him and/or provide a link. Reiss is a pro and deserves his props. Plus, I believe the site rules require you attribute quotes when copying them to avoid copyright entanglements.

I would give up a seventh rounder for Blackmon, nothing more. I do think he could be reinstated this season because he is eligible. He is a great talent, and for a seventh round pick why not give it a shot, maybe you turn him around, his issues are with substance abuse he is not a Hernandez type of thug.

Bucs released TE Tom Crabtree, worth a look? Greg Little was released by the Browns too, he isn't worth a look!

Don't know much about Crabtree but Little is a trainwreck, they would be wasting their time with him.

They don't need the headaches, Blackman is another trainwreck, makes much more sense to go with guys who have their act together and are ready to work for it now.

Don't know much about Crabtree but Little is a trainwreck, they would be wasting their time with him.
I come in peace.

Little was claimed on waivers by Oakland. I agree though he would have been a waste to even consider.

Since the Jaguars seem so sure of themselves that Blackmon won't be playing this year, that tells me that he has failed at least one, if not more, tests since his suspension.

They seem to have totally moved on from him, have taken down his locker, etc. On top of that, they have stated many times that they highly doubt that he'll be playing in 2014. You don't do that for someone who is that talented, can fill seats, + help you win.

Most people don't realize that suspended players continue to be tested, and once you're in the stage that Blackmon is in, you are tested quite frequently. This has another failed test + chronic drug user written all over it in my opinion--even if it's "just" weed. It doesn't seem to be too difficult to read between the lines, although I'm just speculating and don't know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back