PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Signings around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Falcons officially released Tony Gonzalez, in case some team in need of a tight end might be interested in trying to talk him out of retirement.

I'll take seferian jenkins or amaro thanks very much. Unless Tony wants to come on the cheap then fair play.

Who are some good guys to follow on Twitter? For general FA news, but also Patriots news?

Currently following Schefter and Mike Reiss

Contract update:

Linval Joseph - Minnesota Vikings - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Vikings agreed to terms with DT Linval Joseph, formerly of the Giants, on a five-year, $31.5 million contract.

Joseph, 25, started 46-of-48 games for the Giants the past three seasons and racked up nine sacks while averaging 55 tackles per year. He's equally strong against the run and as a pass rusher. With Kevin Williams, Fred Evans, and Letroy Guion all free agents, the Vikings were starving for a starter to plug in next to Sharrif Floyd. Joseph was considered a priority for the Giants.

Meanwhile, the New England Patriots are stuck with Isaac Suckoaga.

Every team has holes and question marks, including the defending AFC champs.

WR: Decker is leaving and Welker is one high hit from involuntary retirement; as of this moment they would have Andre Caldwell out wide opposite D Thomas.

RB: Knowshon Moreno is an unrestricted free agent; that leaves Montee Ball (who was benched early for nearly getting Manning decapitated for his inability to pick up the blitz), and Ronnie Hillman (who played his way on to the bench after being handed the starting role).

LG: With Zane Beadles departing to Jacksonville, Denver has nobody here.

OL: Zero depth at both guard and center.

DE: Robert Ayers is a free agent, and Derek Wolfe mysteriously collapsed last November. Shaun Phillips started well last year but he's 33 and really wore down towards the end of the season.

OLB: Von Miller is not expected to be ready to start the season

MLB: Who takes Wesley Woodyard's spot? Paris Lenon?

CB: Chris Harris is coming back from a torn ACL suffered in January. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is inconsistent and is a free agent. That leaves Tony Carter as a starter; he should be a #3 CB at best.

PR/KR: Trindon Holiday was not tendered, so that's another position that needs to be replaced.

It's all relative; while things may look dire here, other teams have question marks too. Denver was $27 million under the cap before the day started, but that's going to go very quickly with all those positions that need to be filled.

We are not any better off –

- #1 RB is a UFA
- #1 WR is a UFA
- #2 WR had surgery to repair a stress fracture in his foot yesterday and is now recovering
- #3 WR is recovering from a torn groin muscle
- #1 TE is recovering from a torn ACL and MCL
- #2 TE is in county jail held without bail
- #1 OC is a UFA
- #1 RT is recovering from a broken leg
- #1 NT is 32 years old recovering from an Achilles rupture
- #1 DT is 33 years old and recovering from a torn ACL
- #1 MLB is a UFA
- #1 OLB is recovering from a torn pectoral muscle.
- #1 CB is a UFA
- #2 CB is in jail for a probation violation
- #3 CB is recovering from groin surgery
- #1 SS was cut earlier this offseason

Other than that, we are in great shape though....:D

Saints don't have that much cap space still right? Byrd will cost them

Allen visiting the Broncos.

Not worried at all though, right?

He probably won't get that much on the open market after he gets cut.

If Vontae Davis can get $10M per in this market, I wouldn't be shocked to see Revis get $16M. I doubt he'll get more though. I think his refusal to restructure has more to do with wanting to choose where he's going to play than anything.

And now Byrd is visiting the Saints. Go figure... he and Vaccaro would make a very rangy, athletic tandem at S. Kinda figured they'd make some kind of a splash after cutting half of their roster last week.

Saints don't have that much cap space still right? Byrd will cost them

They axed half of their veterans, so I think they have a bit now, but still not a ton, considering the holes that they need to fill.

Based on Grigson's FA signings/draft picks the last two years, it looks like Luck is going to have to overcome a bad GM throughout his career.

Never attempted to imply that the Patriots were better off or had no poitions in need of being upgraded; just trying to point out that even a very good team like Denver has plenty of holes and concerns too - even after a big name signing.

Just trying to offer a bit of perspective.

Denver didn't just get beat they got absolutely smashed, annihilated and humiliated on the biggest spectacle of them all. There is no mystique left, they are a soft, finesse offense that can't handle old school football and they're QB shakes like an earthquake under pressure.

They suck big time on defense and have holes EVERYWHERE.

Patriots just needed health, that's literally all they needed. The secondary was good the front was good but one by one our best players fell down leaving us with UFA's playing in AFCCG.

There is your answer as to who is more prepared for next season. Pats are a receiver/TE away on offense and some pieces here and there on the other side from competing with anyone in the NFC let alone the AFC
The Patriots have significant issues to address. Let's not beat around the bush here.

I'm interested to see what Belichick is up to as players are coming off the board for reportedly reasonable amounts at the moment. Seeing a Gronk killer on the Broncos is not a good way to start my day.

Allen visiting the Broncos.

Not worried at all though, right?

If they pay him a bunch of money to give them roughly what Shaun Phillips gave them for a fraction of the price, then I'll be fine with that as a Pats fan.

It all depends on the price tag. He's not a game-changer anymore, but he still has value in a rotation at the right price.

Who are some good guys to follow on Twitter? For general FA news, but also Patriots news?

Currently following Schefter and Mike Reiss

To keep it simple, I've pretty much just been using Schefter for hte rest of the league. He's on a roll today.

- #1 RB is a UFA
- #1 WR is a UFA
- #2 WR had surgery to repair a stress fracture in his foot yesterday and is now recovering
- #3 WR is recovering from a torn groin muscle
- #1 TE is recovering from a torn ACL and MCL
- #2 TE is in county jail held without bail
- #1 OC is a UFA
- #1 RT is recovering from a broken leg
- #1 NT is 32 years old recovering from an Achilles rupture
- #1 DT is 33 years old and recovering from a torn ACL
- #1 MLB is a UFA
- #1 OLB is recovering from a torn pectoral muscle.
- #1 CB is a UFA
- #2 CB is in jail for a probation violation
- #3 CB is recovering from groin surgery
- #1 SS was cut earlier this offseason

I prefer..... "dangling groin muscle" ..... :)

Have both Wilfork and Kelly been cut?
A 33 year old defensive tackle recovering from a torn ACL and a 32 year old year defensive tackle recovering from a torn Achilles Tendon. :(

Can you say walking wounded? :p

SkyIsFalling.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes