PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Signings around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol (ten chars)

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 1m
Jax GM David Caldwell takes early lead for Exec of Year, getting a 6 for Blaine Gabbert.

@cecillammey 36s
Sources already connecting the dots between Demarcus Ware & #Broncos - we'll see if either Ware or Jared Allen joins DEN #NFLFreeAgency

You mean to tell me that no one here would be worried if this happens? If Denver locks up Ware or Allen after signing Ward there wouldn't even be much left for us to improve enough to challenge them.

Pats may be looking to duplicate Jets 2010 defense rather than Seahawks 13 - flood coverage in the back rather than beating up players.

Maybe I am panicking- but I just saw any hope of getting a decent SS dry up. The draft is not an acceptable way to plug a hole like this within the next two years.

Very disappointed Broncos got Ward for 5.5m. Can't help but think we should have happily paid him 6m/y.

It is early in FA, but the SS market is thin. Have to wonder if the Patriots aren't interested in the SS/FS dichotomy at all.

We've heard Rodney say the Pats need an enforcer but no team source has indicated any interest in that type of player.

bill+belichick+tj+ward+GIF.gif

Pats may be looking to duplicate Jets 2010 defense rather than Seahawks 13 - flood coverage in the back rather than beating up players.

Maybe I am panicking- but I just saw any hope of getting a decent SS dry up. The draft is not an acceptable way to plug a hole like this within the next two years.

Harmon can start.

@cecillammey 36s
Sources already connecting the dots between Demarcus Ware & #Broncos - we'll see if either Ware or Jared Allen joins DEN #NFLFreeAgency

You mean to tell me that no one here would be worried if this happens? If Denver locks up Ware or Allen after signing Ward there wouldn't even be much left for us to improve enough to challenge them.

I know...we shouldn't even play the games this year.

Jared Allen and TJ Ward. Should fed ex the trophy right now

Every team has holes and question marks, including the defending AFC champs.

WR: Decker is leaving and Welker is one high hit from involuntary retirement; as of this moment they would have Andre Caldwell out wide opposite D Thomas.

RB: Knowshon Moreno is an unrestricted free agent; that leaves Montee Ball (who was benched early for nearly getting Manning decapitated for his inability to pick up the blitz), and Ronnie Hillman (who played his way on to the bench after being handed the starting role).

LG: With Zane Beadles departing to Jacksonville, Denver has nobody here.

OL: Zero depth at both guard and center.

DE: Robert Ayers is a free agent, and Derek Wolfe mysteriously collapsed last November. Shaun Phillips started well last year but he's 33 and really wore down towards the end of the season.

OLB: Von Miller is not expected to be ready to start the season

MLB: Who takes Wesley Woodyard's spot? Paris Lenon?

CB: Chris Harris is coming back from a torn ACL suffered in January. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is inconsistent and is a free agent. That leaves Tony Carter as a starter; he should be a #3 CB at best.

PR/KR: Trindon Holiday was not tendered, so that's another position that needs to be replaced.

It's all relative; while things may look dire here, other teams have question marks too. Denver was $27 million under the cap before the day started, but that's going to go very quickly with all those positions that need to be filled.

Shaun Phillips is a FA as well. They currently need two starting DEs, one if they're confident that Wolfe will be good to go.

Re: Ball, I thought he looked fine at the end of the year (at least as good as Moreno, anyway). He was benched early on because he was bad in pass protection and ball security, but he improved both significantly as the year went on. By the last quarter of the season or so, they were solidly splitting carries.

They're probably approaching FA with the perspective that they have their starting RB and they're looking for a backup. Even then, they probably recognize that filling the hole left by Moreno matters about a tenth as much as filling the holes left in the interior of their line.

That Jets defense incorporated Darrelle Revis.

Byrd visiting the saints

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m

This is interesting. Jairus Byrd is set to visit the #Saints, per source. Unexpected suitor.

No doubt in my mind, Pats are going to get Talib signed up and make a big run at Revis or Byrd. I think Bill has finally had enough of marshmallow secondaries. Vince will get cut and that will be used to get whatever else is needed.

I know...we shouldn't even play the games this year

Who said that?

The fact is that they manhandled us in the AFCCG. They moved the ball on us at will and our offense looked miserable against what was a very mediocre defense. Their defense improved with the signing of Ward and it will become elite if they sign Ware or Allen.

We could get lucky and play them in 20 degree weather again with 40mph wind. Maybe we will win under those conditions.

However, I wouldn't want to have to rely on luck.

@cecillammey 36s

That's a boom/bust signing, so yeah I would be worried, but I would also be worried if I was a Broncos fan. If he's anything close to 2011 Ware, that's the kind of signing that can put you over the top and win you a Super Bowl. If he's closer to 2013 Ware, it's the kind of signing that you'll be regretting in about half a season.

No doubt in my mind, Pats are going to get Talib signed up and make a big run at Revis or Byrd. I think Bill has finally had enough of marshmallow secondaries. Vince will get cut and that will be used to get whatever else is needed.

I don't how Byrd would fit they already have Dmac. Unless they just stop running Cover-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents