PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure FA: Add A Veteran QB back up? Pats to cut Hoyer...

RK supported Mac Jones because BB didn't. Kraft wants a winner he doesn't care about Jones unless he can win or the Pats win with him. MO
Yes, that is exactly right. I've mentioned before RK is also going to stick with Mac for business sense reasons.. having a 1st round pick under team control makes all the sense in the world to stick with.

I honestly believe that the team is going to do everything they can from a business standpoint not to have to pay top dollar for a qb.. Brady as we all know took less for years for the good of the team. Ultimately they will have to pay, be it Mac or someone else.

However if Jones in wich I think he will returns to form, And continues to ascend as he was his rookie year then it's great for the organization going forward....

Another QB should be added, but I don’t see us getting some of these names. With Zappe here, they may not even be locked in at 2nd string. Why would Minshew/Mayfield/Brissett want to take on that role? Firm #2 backup jobs will definitely be out there for them.

Personally agree with a poster earlier in the thread: an aged veteran like Gabbert makes some sense here.

Another QB should be added, but I don’t see us getting some of these names. With Zappe here, they may not even be locked in at 2nd string. Why would Minshew/Mayfield/Brissett want to take on that role? Firm #2 backup jobs will definitely be out there for them.

Personally agree with a poster earlier in the thread: an aged veteran like Gabbert makes some sense here.
Yeah that's a possibility.. what I think is there will be a camp qb added. Then again don't be suprised to see hoyer added back at some point this has been done plenty with hoyer its all about managing the roster and freeing up cap space.

There are NO cap savings for terminating Hoyer. His $1.4 million of guarantees and $240,000 of unamortized bonus money becomes dead money upon his release.

Dead money counts against the cap both in season and under the rule of 51 that governs the cap in the off-season and pre-season. Another player and their cap charge will take Hoyer’s place in the 51(currently Kody Russey; $870,000).

Cutting Hoyer reduces the Pats cap space by $1.64 million for the entirety of 2023. Whatever reasons the Pats have for cutting Hoyer. Creating cap space is not one of them.

Jimmy G or Mayfield would be my choices they could easily beat out Mac Jones

Last edited:
Funny how this cut came after the QB's workout at the Combine Hmmmmm.

Opens Cap money and competition from the start MAC Jones vs. Zappe for QB1

I should have added and maybe another surprise QB1
The timing is interesting.

Before FA. Before the draft. Before OTAs. Before TC. Before Week 1. What if there is an injury? Why not keep him around unless they think he is done.

Before FA. Before the draft. Before OTAs. Before TC. Before Week 1. What if there is an injury? Why not keep him around unless they think he is done.
The fact that Hoyer is older than 35 probably plays into the situation. After 35 players who retire with guarantied money still on the table impact the cap regardless. The team might as well make the move now if they know that he cannot play.

The fact that Hoyer is older than 35 probably plays into the situation. After 35 players who retire with guarantied money still on the table impact the cap regardless. The team might as well make the move now if they know that he cannot play.
Yea I think you are right. As part of it, also be a situation he is contemplating retirement. From his injury history he's had multiple concussions. With that the team decided to let him go and open up the roster sport and the $300k in cap space. If he does come back it'll be on the cheap.

Jimmy G or Mayfield would be my choices they could easily beat out Mac Jones
Mac would win by default Jimmy glass would be on IR again and Mayfield will be completing passes more to Dugger than any offensive player in camp..

Before FA. Before the draft. Before OTAs. Before TC. Before Week 1. What if there is an injury? Why not keep him around unless they think he is done?
All good points; maybe they have something worked out with some player; they needed the Cap space to be ready. MO

They had a great working relationship with Hoyer over the years and vice versa. Out of respect for him, announcing this move early allows Hoyer to look for another job and let other teams know he is available. MO

Another thought, maybe they are offering him another job, like coach or advisor and he needed to be off the player rooster before that could happen. MO

RW, you do make a valid point as usual. MO

my guess is that Hoyer can't pass a physical, not having recurred from his last injury.

In any case, there is no reason for him to occupy a roster spot. Even a 7th rounder QB or UDFA is a better idea, or a low level veteran.

I can see the Pats drafting a QB for the 3rd year in a row. I’ve been beating the Dorian Thompson-Robinson drum for a couple months, he gives the Pats something the other two QBs don’t give. An athletic QB who can run (ran a 4.57 I believe), and had an excellent combine throwing as well.

Let’s not forget, the Eagles drafted Hurts even though they had a high priced Carson Wentz as their #1. All Hurts did was lead the Eagles to the SB in his 2nd year as a starter, and let’s face it, he was the SB MVP had the Eagles not **** the bed in the 2nd half of the SB, especially their defense. Not saying DTR is Hurts, but there are some similarities in their playing style.

I think the Pats are drafting a QB prospect/project to start in the #3 role. Hard to see a vet to agree to be #3 like Hoyer and even he wasn't going to agree to it at first when he was re-signed here.

Not really breaking news (from 2020) but another reason why Hoyer may be more inclined to be a Patriots coach...hopefully in 2023....

Brian Hoyer was going to be a New Englander whether the Patriots came calling or not. So when Bill Belichick offered him a third stint in Foxborough on a one-year deal, it was a no-brainer for the journeyman.

“It was an easy decision for me,” Hoyer explained on a video conference call Friday. “For me, my wife and my family we actually decided to make New England home last fall. We bought a house here last November. We were moving back here and I planned on kind of commuting if I was still with Indianapolis. When this opportunity came I was obviously eager to jump at it.”

Patriots should sign Cam back. Bill loves him and rumor has it Kraft pressured him to draft Jones at 15 to appease the media/fans. Let Mac start the first several weeks with a new oc and a new weapon (Hopkins, Allen Robinson, Odell, drafted receiver, etc). If he still plays like last yr, let bill go back to the guy he originally wanted to build around with the two tight ends, rpo's (BOB ran them in Houston with Watson).

Patriots should sign Cam back.
no.
Bill loves him and rumor has it Kraft pressured him to draft Jones at 15 to appease the media/fans.
Mac was drafted because we needed a QB. He was the best available when we picked.
Let Mac start the first several weeks with a new oc and a new weapon (Hopkins, Allen Robinson, Odell, drafted receiver, etc). If he still plays like last yr, let bill go back to the guy he originally wanted to build around with the two tight ends, rpo's (BOB ran them in Houston with Watson).
two steps forward, four steps back is what you are proposing here...

Stidham looked great in the ganes he started for the Raiders. Accurate, smart, good runner. Would love to have him back but I susoect Raiders bring him back
The only thing Stidham has over Mac is a stronger arm. Mac does everything else better.

Couple of former Patriots we should bring Stiddy back he played well last year. I don't think there's a big drop for him to our possible Starter.
Stidham is not very good. We saw that in 2020 we don’t need to see more.

If Zappe wins the starter job in camp great. I’ll support that. That means he earned it. He didn’t earn any such thing last season at least by what we saw on the field.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back