PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure FA: Add A Veteran QB back up? Pats to cut Hoyer...

IMO I don't think they will draft a QB in the 1st 3 rounds and if they get a vet it will only be JG.

Not that is matters really but FWIW Hoyer's best season was probably in Houston with O'Brien (19 TD's / 7 Int's)

7b2cfd02d1e422394b3f1ddb6e1e60ff.png

Not that is matters really but FWIW Hoyer's best season was probably in Houston with O'Brien (19 TD's / 7 Int's)

7b2cfd02d1e422394b3f1ddb6e1e60ff.png
Begs the question, are the Pats avoiding a QB controversy by releasing him then?

No, no they aren't, lol...

Cutting Hoyer is a pretty interesting move if you want to take the time to read into what it might mean.

Could it mean they want to draft a QB this year so if Mac is not the answer for 2024 they'll have someone to fill in?

Could mean Hoyer becomes a coach on the staff?

Zappe is QB2 and want to continue giving him backup QB reps in 2023?

Begs the question, are the Pats avoiding a QB controversy by releasing him then?

No, no they aren't, lol...
I wonder if the concussion he had has something to do with it.

Aside from being a vet who knows the system, idk why Hoyer's on the roster. Jones doesn't need a mentor and Hoyer has been terrible whenever he had to start here the last 3 years and couldn't even fill the backup role this past season without getting hurt. He's kind of a space filler at this point.

Aside from being a vet who knows the system, idk why Hoyer's on the roster. Jones doesn't need a mentor and Hoyer has been terrible whenever he had to start here the last 3 years and couldn't even fill the backup role this past season without getting hurt. He's kind of a space filler at this point.
All true. However he's always been good at watching the opponents QB and mimicking. That's been pretty valuable for the team.

I wonder if the concussion he had has something to do with it.
I think it really has to do with him being a dead roster spot... Zappe did well enough that you know he can be a spot starter... Hoyers becomes expendable at that point, especially because BoB brought in his own QB coach

This is one off-season when I have no idea what the Patriots are going to do and have no idea what to believe.

In my opinion premium safety, O line, WRs, top priority.

Hoyer (well, his contract) isn't going anywhere. Zappe is QB2 (and I hope he gets a shot to press Mac for QB1 in camp). Mac is QB1 (but on a shortish leash). I see a really late draft pick for camp arm/practice squad.
I initially thought Mac was on short lease also.. but those thoughts faded when I saw the overwhelming endorsement by RK.. I believe he as a very smart and articulate man knows Mac wasn't put in the most ideal of situations.

He'll be given ample opportunity to lead this team under a some structure and hopefully more weapons.. I actually feel it's BB who may be on the short leash..

I think it really has to do with him being a dead roster spot... Zappe did well enough that you know he can be a spot starter... Hoyers becomes expendable at that point, especially because BoB brought in his own QB coach

But don't you have to waste a roster spot on a third QB anyway?

With the new rules where you can bounce players up/down from the practice squad, isn't an experienced #3 QB a must in this mix?

It must be the concussion, or BoB doesn't want him in the room.

With the new rules where you can bounce players up/down from the practice squad, isn't an experienced #3 QB a must in this mix?

I don’t see why not.
I think it’s more knowing Zappe is a capable player and they are giving Brian a chance to catch on with another team by releasing him so early.
I hope he comes back as a coach.

I don’t see why not.

Cause in today's league with mandatory guidelines on if you are able to play, I think every team needs three roster QB's

Cutting Hoyer is a pretty interesting move if you want to take the time to read into what it might mean.

Could it mean they want to draft a QB this year so if Mac is not the answer for 2024 they'll have someone to fill in?

Could mean Hoyer becomes a coach on the staff?

Zappe is QB2 and want to continue giving him backup QB reps in 2023?

I’ve read he doesn’t want to coach.

Well tbh the move and trying to answer why steps down a rabbit hole of conjecture...

Maybe they believe he can no longer play at an adequate level... Could be fearful of his inability to clear the concussion protocols last year... Worry about potential future concussions, if he's prone to them... Maybe they want to clear one more roster spot until free agency shakes out... I could think of 5 or 10 more reasons without even trying...

There are a myriad of reasons why they could have made the move...

Well tbh the move and trying to answer why steps down a rabbit hole of conjecture...

Maybe they believe he can no longer play at an adequate level... Maybe they don't want a 37 year old backup making near 2m... Could be fearful of his inability to clear the concussion protocols last year... Worry about potential future concussions, if he's prone to them... Maybe they want to clear one more roster spot until free agency shakes out... I could think of 5 or 10 more reasons without even trying

There are a myriad of reasons why they could have made the move...

1) BOB is the QB coach. He can hire another, or an assistant. He is an improvement over JHoyer.

2) Yes, Hoyer could have a role on the team, if all agree, but NOT with the hours required for a coach.

3) Hoyer is unable to be our #3 QB.

4) Since we are not sure of Jones or Zappe long-term, I see us drafting a QB in the 4th or later, plus the usual UDFA for camp.

5) Unless we have our franchise QB and a solid veteran backup, we should always have a developmental #3.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back