PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure FA: Add A Veteran QB back up? Pats to cut Hoyer...

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Right now our QB room consists of Mac Jones, the presumed starter, 2nd year guy Bailey Zappe, and Brian "On A Milk Carton" Hoyer...

Hoyer went on walkabout last year, spending the last 13 games of the year vacationing on the IRiveria...

This something we need to address? Do we need a more dependable QB3? Perhaps a better than Bailey QB2? some interesting names on the lower end of the QB free agent list are available... Im not talking about guys like Teddy Bridgewater or Andy Dalton or sad sacks like Nathan Peterman and those around his level of suckage.. but some of the guys who are available include, in no particular order of relevance:
  • Jarrett Stidham
  • Taylor Heineken (yeah, a punny joke)
  • Gardner Minshew
  • Jacoby Brisette

There might be a few others worth looking at... not quite sure, as no exhaustive analysis (at all) has been performed... Just a thought spitballin' around in my head after reading that Heineken was now a free agent...

Time to retire the soon to be 39 year old Hoyer? or keep him around to finish out his deal?

• Jarrett Stidham
  • Gardner Minshew
  • Jacoby Brisette
Season's over if any of these guys are your starting quarterback. Minshew is the least useless but the NFL doesn't consider him a starter for some reason(s).

Season's over if any of these guys are your starting quarterback. Minshew is the least useless but the NFL doesn't consider him a starter for some reason(s).
yeah, true... so then just keep hoyer around? hes cheap...

then next year don't bother with a qb3? just leave it up to Jones & Bailey?

big boobs pron GIF

She is a free agent...just sayin'....

Just looking at the QB FA list. They should take a look at Baker Mayfield. Bring him in as a backup along side Zappe. I think Baker potentially has something left to offer as an NFL QB.
he's one... i do kinda lump him in with guys like dalton and bridgewater though... just a tad bit more expensive than needed

Washington Football Team Wsu GIF by Pac-12 Network

then next year don't bother with a qb3? just leave it up to Jones & Bailey?
I didn't like Zappe coming out of the draft (actually hated the pick) but he looked much better than I thought he would. It seems pretty clear at this point that Mac will be the starter in 2023. I don't have a lot of confidence in Mac unless they surround him with a very strong supporting cast (meaning they have to upgrade the WRs and get a legit TE2). I like Zappe at QB2 but I think they need to bring in a Veteran FA to be the QB3. I really like Mayfield for that role.

I have no interest in Dalton or Bridgewater. I assume just stay away from most of that mid-tier FA QB group (Dalton, Bridgewater, Mariota, Keenum). If I'm selecting from the lower tier FA QBs (i.e. cheapest options) then I might look at Blaine Gabbert. He has a decent arm at least.

Derek Carr is the best FA QB, but he's going to be a starter somewhere, so the Patriots won't be looking at him. Wentz is out there, he looks kind of cooked, but I suppose an upper tier head coach may be able to suck out whatever remaining value he may have left.

Speaking of boobs, am I the only one who sees them in the thread title?
As the op, I have no idea what you are referring to... I am just flabbergasted by the thought that you think I would put boobies in the thread title

As the op, I have no idea what you are referring to... I am just flabbergasted by the thought that you think I would put boobies in the thread title
I must be seeing a different graphic on my iPhone. I was just kidding anyway.

The two circles with dots in the middle is what I was referring to. I know, bad joke.

Attachments

• 1677787353880.png
    1677787353880.png
    896.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Since none of the candidates listed, including Hoyer are a real option as QB1, I would rather try Mac with Zappe as backup. Draft a development guy for QB3. That may not be an option because posters in other threads have stated that Hoyer has a guarantied contract next year. If we are stuck with him, at least he is a reliable mentor for Mac and Zappe.

They usually like to have 4 QB's for training camp, if for nothing else to spread out the workload while still having a guy to throw to the various skill groups. I'm guessing they'll draft a kid late (6th or 7th round) or bring in an UDFA for one of them. Then it's just a question of what level of vet do they feel they need for the 4th: Hoyer for his experience, a guy like Minshew for his actual spot start ability, or a Brian Lewerke type, where he's basically just an arm for you to wear out in camp/preseason.

Right now our QB room consists of Mac Jones, the presumed starter, 2nd year guy Bailey Zappe, and Brian "On A Milk Carton" Hoyer...

Hoyer went on walkabout last year, spending the last 13 games of the year vacationing on the IRiveria...

This something we need to address? Do we need a more dependable QB3? Perhaps a better than Bailey QB2? some interesting names on the lower end of the QB free agent list are available... Im not talking about guys like Teddy Bridgewater or Andy Dalton or sad sacks like Nathan Peterman and those around his level of suckage.. but some of the guys who are available include, in no particular order of relevance:
  • Jarrett Stidham
  • Gardner Minshew
  • Jacoby Brisette

There might be a few others worth looking at... not quite sure, as no exhaustive analysis (at all) has been performed... Just a thought spitballin' around in my head after reading that Heineken was now a free agent...

Time to retire the soon to be 39 year old Hoyer? or keep him around to finish out his deal?
I don't see any changes to the QB room in 2023.

It's 50/50 if we have a new starting QB in 2024.

The two circles with dots in the middle is what I was referring to. I know, bad joke.
Just targets my man... Free agency targets .. that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Since none of the candidates listed, including Hoyer are a real option as QB1, I would rather try Mac with Zappe as backup. Draft a development guy for QB3. That may not be an option because posters in other threads have stated that Hoyer has a guarantied contract next year. If we are stuck with him, at least he is a reliable mentor for Mac and Zappe.
Did not realize hoyers deal was guaranteed

Can we get a vet QB that hasn't lost 17 starts in a row?

Asking For A Friend GIF

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back