PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

EDIT: Sony Michel to miss some time after minor knee procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, too many are panicking here. It is far from ideal but this could have been worse. Lets see where he is at the start of the regular season.
Not panicking, personally. He could certainly contribute and I honestly feel he’s a 1,000 yard rusher in this offense if healthy and running behind that OL. But it’s certainly not a good thing to have a rookie with a history of knee issues that already needs a procedure prior to his first NFL snap.

Sony's in a tough spot for me because he's going to, for me, end up being judged against Derrius Guice and Lamar Jackson. To be fair, I think he's a true talent and was not at all an unworthy pick, but I thought Guice was the best running back in the draft (and he'ssupposedly having a fantastic camp). That said, I think Sony has a chance to be OROY as Dion Lewis Mk. 2 and I want him ready to go week 1. Hopefully all the reports calling this minor - and I'm heartened Rap is one of them - are correct and we'll see him back before the end of camp.

Didn't he have knee issues in college too?

Draining a knee is a minor procedure on its own, but it was about as bad of news as we could have asked for. There are a few reasons for fluid build up in the knee, and it looks like this could confirm the bone on bone speculation.

Yes.

Draining a knee is a minor procedure on its own, but it was about as bad of news as we could have asked for. There are a few reasons for fluid build up in the knee, and it looks like this could confirm the bone on bone speculation.

That’s what I’m worrying about in the back of my mind.

Adam is saying 10 days

no, he's saying at least ten days. this absolutely sucks. he is a 1st rd pick. you can't miss on those. and I'm not saying they have. but he's off to a rough start.

Last edited:
seems this past draft was highly overrated...Lamar Jackson can't play in this league at QB and Michel should have been a 3rd round pick with THIS existing condition. Yeah, he's a first round talent but, damaged goods should always be taken into consideration when actually slotting these players.

A (or multiple) torn ligament(s) would have been about as bad of news you could ask for.

Lombardi talked about the bone on bone a week before the draft. Did nobody take him serious? But according to most medical evaluators this is not an immediate issue but about longevity and if we get 3-4 years out of him at the level he is able to play thats good enough.

He has to go on 53 first. He will be on 53 if nothing season ending. Else too soon to speculate.

Luckily for him its the most plug&play position, even on Pats.

Agree that he'll be on the active roster after final cuts unless something catastrophic happens to him between now and then. Just exploring the Pats' options if they know, at final cuts, that he won't be healthy enough to play for the first 3-4 games, and how they may weight them in the larger context of the whole roster and season.

None of this means that Michel is facing a "lost" season yet.

If he returns at the end of the (reported) minimum 10-day recovery period, that puts him back at practice on Tuesday the 14th - the last practice before the game against the Eagles. Typically, with only the one practice after missing that kind of time, a player would sit that one out.

With practices closed to the public and the media, we likely won't be getting much direct observational info on Michel, aside from whether or not he attended practice, until we see whether or not he plays in the 3rd game at Carolina, on Friday the 24th - 19 days from now, and only a week before roster cuts begin.

IOW, the info we have in hand is all we're going to get for awhile, probably - and perhaps, hopefully. This may be a situation in which no news is good news.

He had a grade one knee sprain in the Oklahoma championship game where he gained 181 yards. A month later [missed the rose bowl] had 98 yards with 7.0/pc against Alabama.

He had an ACL operation in 2011, his sophomore year in high school.

A (or multiple) torn ligament(s) would have been about as bad of news you could ask for.

Lombardi talked about the bone on bone a week before the draft. Did nobody take him serious? But according to most medical evaluators this is not an immediate issue but about longevity and if we get 3-4 years out of him at the level he is able to play thats good enough.

It might affect a long career, it would have nothing to do with this time frame.

According to The Ringer's Mike Lombardi, NFL teams have concerns Georgia RB Sony Michel has a bone-on-bone condition in his knee.

It can be a career-shortening condition and contributed to Jay Ajayi's fall in the 2015 draft

It might affect a long career, it would have nothing to do with this time frame.

Thats what I said and what everyone who listened to Lombardi knew going into the draft. The bone-on-bone is according to experts more of a second contract issue which would be irrelevant really for the Pats who were not extremely likely to keep him beyond year 4 anyway.

BB won’t think this way but fans can - to first approximation I don’t care what happens after 3-4 years from now because once BB and Brady are gone (which I think will happen by the for sure) it’s not going to matter much who the RB is because unless they get lucky on a QB real soon, they’re not going anywhere anyways.

He had a grade one knee sprain in the Oklahoma championship game where he gained 181 yards. A month later [missed the rose bowl] had 98 yards with 7.0/pc against Alabama.

He had an ACL operation in 2011, his sophomore year in high school.
Huh ? The 181 yards vs Oklahoma WAS the Rose Bowl.

BB won’t think this way but fans can - to first approximation I don’t care what happens after 3-4 years from now because once BB and Brady are gone (which I think will happen by the for sure) it’s not going to matter much who the RB is because unless they get lucky on a QB real soon, they’re not going anywhere anyways.

With RBs specifically I don't care what happens after 3-4 years. As we all know the nature of that position makes them most reliable at a time that coincides with their rookie contract. Rookie RBs are the ultimate value position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST