PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

EDIT: Pats working out CB Breeland - expected to reach back out this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, you've focused the issue. We are fine with Gilmore. We are OK at slot, with viable candidates competing. Additionally, we do have special team types to fill the bottom of the CB roster spots.

As of NOW, we have a glaring weakness at outside corner (and backup outside corner). Your analysis that we have 0-3 spotlights that issue.

These are two positions. My guess is that Rowe and McCourty will fill these roles. My hope is that McCourty will win the spot. Rowe would be a backup at both outside CB and at slot.

Obviously, a healthy Breeland would be a fine addition.

Anyway, I really don't know yet whether the second boundary CB is a "glaring need" or not. During the game tomorrow night, we may discover that the Pats have 2-3 guys who are at least adequate covering the right boundary, or we could discover they have zero.

I don't think that the Pats are anywhere close to deciding who gets paired with Gilmore yet. There seems to be a lot of good competition for that spot (and JJ hasn't had a chance to show yet). In spite of media reports & speculation, I doubt that Rowe has any significant "lead" over most of the other candidates.
The open issue is your characterization of "good" competition.

So, you are saying that we can cover up the glaring need at CB2. IMHO, this does require some better play from our linebackers.

You really think the Pats CB2 position is a glaring need? Clearly CB1 & the slot are covered. We’ve fielded some pretty good defenses with mediocrity out at CB2. It’s a system position.

So, you are saying that we can cover up the glaring need at CB2. IMHO, this does require some better play from our linebackers.

Aye. If Breeland is healthy, the team wouldn't have to cover up that weakness or scheme around it. You can only scheme around a talent deficiency for so long before it catches up with you. Ask the 2017 defense.

Breeland would be an excellent addition. I’ve been intrigued by his skill set for a while now. I remember being interested in him as a FA since after the SB (but for the right price of course).

No, I disagree it is a glaring need. I’m not as low on Rowe as others to play a system position. For a glaring need at CB, look at teams like the Seahawks, Eagles, Texans, Steelers, etc.

Sign Breeland! This defense won't be able to stop a nosebleed if mediocre Rowe is starting CB2.

I can’t help but think that there’s some misinformation being spread around by the player/agent right now. The workout and continued discussions make this about the fifth time that something has appeared to be imminent between Breeland and a team.

As of NOW, we have a glaring weakness at outside corner (and backup outside corner). Your analysis that we have 0-3 spotlights that issue.

First of all, "0-3" was just me throwing numbers out at random as an example. It wasn't "analysis" by any stretch. AFAIK, the Pats coaches may be absolutely certain that they have FIVE guys on the roster who'd all make excellent boundary corners, even on the right side, and they simply can't decide which ones to keep.

Just because >I< don't know yet doesn't mean that I agree that it's a "glaring weakness" for the team. But then, IRL, I'm widely considered to be an oddball because I don't panic about not knowing yet.

It is what it is. Que sera sera, and all that.

Sign Breeland! This defense won't be able to stop a nosebleed if mediocre Rowe is starting CB2.

Meh. He'll probably only be healthy enough to be a liability for half the season, anyway.

The open issue is your characterization of "good" competition.

Well, I'm just going by the media reports that make it seem like everybody is constantly making brilliant splash plays. The guys who aren't, they simply don't talk about.

Breeland would be an excellent addition. I’ve been intrigued by his skill set for a while now. I remember being interested in him as a FA since after the SB (but for the right price of course).

The thing about Breeland is that he plays the right boundary well enough to be left on an island a lot (not always, but a lot) - even against very good WRs. That frees up a safety.

The question is, does that make him worth whatever his asking price may be to the Pats?

Yea Rowe is good in spots and certain matchups. Not for the 71 snaps he had in that game.
Rowe gets a bad rap here.
He has a major problem staying healthy but when healthy he has played well. He wasn’t one of the top 10 reasons we lost that SB.

Rowe gets a bad rap here.
He has a major problem staying healthy but when healthy he has played well. He wasn’t one of the top 10 reasons we lost that SB.

Correct. Rowe is not terrible. But hes not a 70 play CB either because he's not durable and has problems with speed and shiftiness. Hes a classic spot starter nickel/dime DB.

I do agree with you. He was not the reason they lost the SB. He was 4-9, 80yds and a TD w/ 3 PBUs. The TD he allowed was not a TD in the first place and had crap help over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back