PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

EDIT: Pats working out CB Breeland - expected to reach back out this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's important to note how well McCourty is playing. I feel that he's superior than Breeland based on his play last season (won't say anything for this season), but Breeland offers long-term upside for the CB2 position over the next 2-3 years if he signs and then re-signs later on. If McCourty is entrenched as a starter, then our secondary looks like Gilmore, McCourty, Dawson (he's stuck in the slot regardless). Is Breeland a necessity afterwards? Perhaps.

Is McCourty playing well? I certainly have not heard great things but I'm not at camp. Regardless, I've never seen JMac as the type to excel in man coverage. If Breeland is healthy, he's an upgrade and if the money is right, it's a no-brainer.

For what it's worth, the BR 1000 rankings had McCourty as the 19th best corner last season, and Breeland the 21st. Gilmore was right behind them, though, perhaps because they were ranking on the full season rather than what Gilmore became as the season wore on and the communications issues ceased.

It's important to note how well McCourty is playing. I feel that he's superior than Breeland based on his play last season (won't say anything for this season), but Breeland offers long-term upside for the CB2 position over the next 2-3 years if he signs and then re-signs later on. If McCourty is entrenched as a starter, then our secondary looks like Gilmore, McCourty, Dawson (he's stuck in the slot regardless). Is Breeland a necessity afterwards? Perhaps.

Breeland may have a more diverse skill set than JMac, having played a lot of different man, press-man, zone/pattern-matching concepts, starting at both LCB, RCB and in the slot. He's also very good in run-D support.

Is McCourty playing well? I certainly have not heard great things but I'm not at camp. Regardless, I've never seen JMac as the type to excel in man coverage. If Breeland is healthy, he's an upgrade and if the money is right, it's a no-brainer.

Bill might be seeing if JMAC struggles tonight, and if he does, he has Breeland on speed dial.

Bill might be seeing if JMAC struggles tonight, and if he does, he has Breeland on speed dial.
Rather Rowe and Mccourty show signs of struggle now vs later when we don't have a Breeland on speed dial.
I almost feel like I want them to be bad so the weakness can be fixed.
I do want JC Jackson to kill it

Rather Rowe and Mccourty show signs of struggle now vs later when we don't have a Breeland on speed dial.
I almost feel like I want them to be bad so the weakness can be fixed.
I do want JC Jackson to kill it
I think BB knows what he has in Rowe.

In terms of health, ability and picking up the D, etc he many not 100% know what he has in Jason McCourty. If hes anything like DMC was at CB in 2011 and early in 2012 there is no way in hell hes playing CB here.

J-Mac sat out and Rowe played well yesterday fwiw

For what it's worth, the BR 1000 rankings had McCourty as the 19th best corner last season, and Breeland the 21st. Gilmore was right behind them, though, perhaps because they were ranking on the full season rather than what Gilmore became as the season wore on and the communications issues ceased.
They were probably blaming Gilmore for everyone’s broken coverages at the beginning of the year like people here did.

Breeland. Raiders, Ravens AND Pats all keeping contact?

"We will see, what leads to what..." Bidding war?

I think some people in this board put too much stock into preseason games. The coaching staff is around the players almost every day and definitely will not make decisions based on how someone looks in a meaningless exhibition but based on their trajectory over the last couple of weeks.

I get that this is sometimes a difficult concept for people to grasp because for most fans games are the only time to see players do football things but the people in charge have a lot more information than all fans and their decisions are often difficult to understand if your only window are games.

I think some people in this board put too much stock into preseason games. The coaching staff is around the players almost every day and definitely will not make decisions based on how someone looks in a meaningless exhibition but based on their trajectory over the last couple of weeks.

I get that this is sometimes a difficult concept for people to grasp because for most fans games are the only time to see players do football things but the people in charge have a lot more information than all fans and their decisions are often difficult to understand if your only window are games.

And a very cloudy window at that.

First full-on contact "practice", and first opportunity to see a number of guys in a competitive situation (playing without a plan), working/communicating within different groupings. But still, just one small piece of the coaches' evaluations.

I doubt that anyone on the coaching staff was particularly surprised in any way by Webb's performance, for example.

I think anyone dreaming about some long term contract for Breeland will be disappointed. He doesn't have much leverage right now and the best for him is a one year deal and to cash in next offseason.

Which is why it would make a lot of sense for BB to swoop in and see if there is something that can be done. It would be a cheap shortterm upgrade + a potential free third round comp in 2 years.

Breeland. Raiders, Ravens AND Pats all keeping contact?

"We will see, what leads to what..." Bidding war?

Raiders don’t have the cap space. The Ravens have about 2 mill more than the Pats (cap space) but if he is willing to take a one year deal and strike it rich next offseason, he will almost certainly get more exposure with the Pats. I hoping that they are leaving that roster spot open for him. I love the potential of rookies and watching them improve but at this point in Brady’s career I’d prefer a young vet (with talent) who already knows what it takes to get it done in the NFL.

Raiders don’t have the cap space. The Ravens have about 2 mill more than the Pats (cap space) but if he is willing to take a one year deal and strike it rich next offseason, he will almost certainly get more exposure with the Pats. I hoping that they are leaving that roster spot open for him. I love the potential of rookies and watching them improve but at this point in Brady’s career I’d prefer a young vet (with talent) who already knows what it takes to get it done in the NFL.

That's true for current cap space numbers, I haven't really looked at either the Ravens' or Raiders' cap situations deeply enough to know what (if any) restructurings they might be able to do in order to free up more space for 2018 and, hypothetically, enough to make a reasonable bid for Breeland.

With the Raiders, it seems to me that they're going to need to do something major just to resolve their Mack situation, so that rumor may well have been floated by Breeland's agent. But the Pats will know what's up with that, either way.

Meanwhile, the Pats could free up a significant chunk of 2018 cap space with a one or two-year extension for Gronk.

4 year starter 3 position 3 coaches and about 20 different Db combinations had to get use to and I can in the game wit all safeties on their way out and still maximized my opportunities so I'm just a ball player looking for the right opportunity #17familia #Swilyfe know ur worth

That's true for current cap space numbers, I haven't really looked at either the Ravens' or Raiders' cap situations deeply enough to know what (if any) restructurings they might be able to do in order to free up more space for 2018 and, hypothetically, enough to make a reasonable bid for Breeland.

With the Raiders, it seems to me that they're going to need to do something major just to resolve their Mack situation, so that rumor may well have been floated by Breeland's agent. But the Pats will know what's up with that, either way.

Meanwhile, the Pats could free up a significant chunk of 2018 cap space with a one or two-year extension for Gronk.

This will not be about cap space for Pats. They have plenty (visible and invisible). It will be about opportunity - to upgrade the roster for a price they are comfortable to pay. Breeland has plenty experience in slot and outside and is arguably an upgrade at both positions. In worst case he adds solid experienced competition and added insurance for both spots.

The price? If it is a 1y deal like most in the know expect (incl. Jason from OTC) it will reportedly not be over 7M and could be significantly less (look at latest Vaccaro deal etc). With this they have a solid chance to get a starter at two CB positions who will be highly motivated for his next contract, a solid chance to get a high com pick for 2020 and another comp or some money back in case they release or trade J-Mac (3M) and Rowe (1.1M) or both. If Breeland would take over both of them - the cost could be close to zero.

Rowe played well yesterday but his problem is inconsistency and dependence on favourable matchups plus always missing some time with minor injuries. Id love to see the Mac twins playing together but the integration of J-Mac into the team was quite peculiar..

Last edited:
serious question: could they afford to keep J-Mac and still sign Breeland?

Obviously depends on how much Breeland requires.

However, according to Miguel, the Pats have roughly $7.4M in cap space, which is roughly the emergency cushion they'd typically keep going into the regular season (between ~$5M and ~$8M). JMac's cap hit is just under $3M.

Shedding both JMac and Rowe ($1.1M) would increase cap space to $11.5M. Signing Breeland for between $5M & $6M would then be practical.

OTOH, if Breeland were to agree to a Vacarro-like deal (~$1.5M), the Pats could keep both Rowe and JMac without dropping their in-season emergency reserve fund below typical levels.

-----
EDIT: All of the above, of course, assumes that the Pats don't make some other move to free up cap space - and they do have several options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back