PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post-Combine Off-Season Mock (with full salary cap projections)

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, a full mock draft with trades, detailed analysis of Pats picks, complete free agency moves against the cap and a 53-man projection. Damn impressive piece of work, I congratulate you.

I can't possibly match the effort, but here are a few opinions:

- Thank you for putting Ryan Broyles in the draft class. Honestly, I'd even be willing to spend a pick a round earlier than you have him going.

- Upshaw is a great pick, and I am beginning to think he might last to 27, as crazy as that sounds to me. I'm hoping that the rest of the GMs in the NFL are as dumb as they seem on TV.

- I am not sold on Jeffery for myself, but I respect the pick. Early mocks, dating back to October and November had Jeffery in the top half of the first round.

- I don't buy the "McCourty to FS" gossip. I don't know where that came from, but I think it's silly. The kid has a pro bowl rookie year at CB, is named a team captain as a sophomore, has a second year slump, and suddenly the Nation is convinced he's playing out of position?!? I don't follow the rationale at all. Myself, I think his rookie success maybe caught up with him mentally. Expectations can get into your brain if you think about it too much; that is the Great Lesson of Life that anyone who has ever played golf understands. He's still a kid. For me, his astonishing rookie season earned him at least one more season before I start to question him as our franchise CB. What he did as a rook was not a random fluke. He systematically shut down the best receivers in the NFL. He'll rediscover his form when he finds his center of gravity as a pro.

- re-signing Bennie, Connolly, Slater, Carter, Love, Branch... yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. It's like a premonition.

Thanks buddy.

Originally I had Broyles as a luxury pick towards the end. But with the Welker situation looking less likely to end in a long term deal, he would become more of a priority pick, and I would have no problem taking him a bit earlier. Ideally we can bring Broyles in, have Welker play out the year on the franchise tag, and if they are comfortable with Broyles progression, either let Welker walk or tag and trade him.

I really do think Upshaw will fall, at least in range of a small trade up (mid 20's). San Diego signing Jarret Johnson is another team that would have been a possibility for Upshaw, now likely out of the running. And now people are more focused on guys athletic ability rather than guys football ability, I think this is where we will see good players fall (like Sanu and Jeffery). If Upshaw is there at 27 he is a no-brainer for me.

My reasoning for liking McCourty as a FS vs a CB is he doesn't have the ability to play press man coverage,and I think that is an element of the defense that each team needs in the NFL. McCourty plays much better with the ball in front of him, and when playing man coverage he can struggle to get his head turned around (Darius Butler syndrome). He has solid tackling, although he didn't really show it last year, and I think his intelligence could really be a benefit at FS. Add in the fact that it is an extremely weak year for safeties in the draft and FA, and I think he is the best option. I would prefer to go out and get a bigger, more physical CB who we can pair with Dowling and give us the option of playing press coverage, while still keeping McCourty on the field as much as possible.

And guys, can we not turn this into a Devon Still vs Derek Wolfe debate, I can see it coming from a mile away.

My reasoning for liking McCourty as a FS vs a CB is he doesn't have the ability to play press man coverage,and I think that is an element of the defense that each team needs in the NFL. McCourty plays much better with the ball in front of him, and when playing man coverage he can struggle to get his head turned around (Darius Butler syndrome). He has solid tackling, although he didn't really show it last year, and I think his intelligence could really be a benefit at FS. Add in the fact that it is an extremely weak year for safeties in the draft and FA, and I think he is the best option. I would prefer to go out and get a bigger, more physical CB who we can pair with Dowling and give us the option of playing press coverage, while still keeping McCourty on the field as much as possible.

One thing I attribute to BB is that he matches his scheme and game plan to the skills of his players. I agree that McCourty did not look convincing in press coverage last year. But my memory of McCourty running stride for stride with Megatron the year before, head turned for the ball, and my complete unwavering conviction that it was going to be an interception, long before the ball ever got there... that will take a lot of time to fade. In a pass happy NFL, McCourty has the tools to be a real weapon for us at CB.

I'm pretty sure BB will eventually find the solution that matches the abilities of his front-7 with the abilities of his defensive backfield. It's still a serious work in progress. And, indeed, adding Devon Still and Courtney Upshaw could be the best thing to happen for McCourty.

My GOD, I do love Brother Wilfork's MasterPieces!! :rocker:

Thank you kind sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman. I am eagerly awaiting awaiting who you will dig up for us this year, its one of the best parts of the draft preparation.

To be fair, I must give credit to where I get a large amount of my information, especially about the lower end guys. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it, but its www.FanaticalFootballFiend.com :D

I'll continue to crank out the Reports all this coming week, Brother Wilfork!!

I hope they please you, Sir. :D

Speaking of masterpieces, you haven't posted a mock in AGES!

I need my fix!

Heh!! My Mock is actually nearly done, but out of deference to your own that you just launched ~ and because it would be anticlimactic, at least in my own mind!! ~ to launch my Mock BEFORE I finished cranking out the Scouting Reports, this week, that I've been working on for 3 months, I hope you don't mind if I wait until Friday. LOVED your Mock, by the way!! :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back