PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

EDIT: Pats working out CB Breeland - expected to reach back out this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct but they also have Jason McCourty, Duke Dawson and CB5 which represents a decisive upgrade over Badman, Richards and Chung in man to man on a WR.

No doubt the depth behind Rowe is very good/promising. And having a much better pass rush will help the secondary. But there is a reason why the Philly coaches were smirking when they saw Rowe as the CB2 in the super bowl.

We can agree to disagree. I don’t care about other teams tbh. Right now we have the same starting CB pairing from the Super Bowl that Nick Foles lit up. I don’t feel too comfortable with Rowe at CB 2.

If you dont look at depth relative to other teams then I am sorry but you are approaching it from the wrong place. This is not Madden but reality where you cant have 90+ players at all positions. There are compromises.

I am not even gonna address once again that it was the run defense not the secondary that was the main issue in the SB. This has been discussed and documented so many times it is boring to still hear people chewing the defensive backs out.

I don't think that the Pats are anywhere close to deciding who gets paired with Gilmore yet. There seems to be a lot of good competition for that spot (and JJ hasn't had a chance to show yet). In spite of media reports & speculation, I doubt that Rowe has any significant "lead" over most of the other candidates.

Hasn’t Rowe been taking most of the snaps with the starting unit?

The more I'm reading about Breeland the more interested I am. In 2017 he was the #1 rated CB in slot coverage. Last year he was #8 in QB comp % against.

Considering a dead beat like Rashaan Melvin got $6.5m from the Raiduhs and he himself was looking at $11m guaranteed from the Panthers, my gut tells me hes asking for more than the Pats are willing to pay.

No doubt the depth behind Rowe is very good/promising. And having a much better pass rush will help the secondary. But there is a reason why the Philly coaches were smirking when they saw Rowe as the CB2 in the super bowl.
That quote still doesn’t make any sense. After having two weeks to study two seasons of film of Rowe with the Patriots, why was an assistant coach giving us the scouting report of Rowe in 2015?

Hasn’t Rowe been taking most of the snaps with the starting unit?

IDK for a fact that he has. Maybe. He's been reported to have been taking snaps in slot coverage- I'd guess probably at boundary corner, too. Again, regular beat reporters don't appear to provide much detail. Maybe the guys on the paysites do.

I wouldn't read too much into snap count estimates at this stage (assuming that they're accurate in the first place). The Pats coaches are still evaluating players within different groups as the playbook installations progress, in order to see which combinations may be the most effective.

Yea Rowe is good in spots and certain matchups. Not for the 71 snaps he had in that game.

Who'd they sign in the last 10 hours to eliminate the previously glaring need at CB?

You really think the Pats CB2 position is a glaring need? Clearly CB1 & the slot are covered. We’ve fielded some pretty good defenses with mediocrity out at CB2. It’s a system position.

If you dont look at depth relative to other teams then I am sorry but you are approaching it from the wrong place. This is not Madden but reality where you cant have 90+ players at all positions. There are compromises.

I am not even gonna address once again that it was the run defense not the secondary that was the main issue in the SB. This has been discussed and documented so many times it is boring to still hear people chewing the defensive backs out.

Let's get you on record: the DB group had a good game in the Super Bowl? Yes or no?

You really think the Pats CB2 position is a glaring need? Clearly CB1 & the slot are covered. We’ve fielded some pretty good defenses with mediocrity out at CB2. It’s a system position.
We've had pretty good #2s in recent history. Unfortunately, we don't have anything near a marquee pass rush, so our CBs need to be very good.

CB2 is absolutely a need. Eric Rowe can be decent in spots but he is not a good #2. There is a reason they are bringing in Breeland for a workout.

We've had pretty good #2s in recent history. Unfortunately, we don't have anything near a marquee pass rush, so our CBs need to be very good.

Who exactly? Ryan is a decent CB. Browner left NE & was the worst CB in the NFL on the Saints. Dennard couldn’t find another job in the league. Arrington was a punching bag here.

The vast majority here disagree with me so we’ll see this season. I don’t think CB2 will be much of an issue.

Who exactly? Ryan is a decent CB. Browner left NE & was the worst CB in the NFL on the Saints. Dennard couldn’t find another job in the league. Arrington was a punching bag here.

The vast majority here disagree with me so we’ll see this season. I don’t think CB2 will be much of an issue.

Gilmore or Gilligan's Island should be off limits...CB #2 should have consistent Safety help over the top so that settles that.:)

I'm all for Breeland

I am not opposed can't believe Breeland still out there and BB values that Position as you can see from his Draft history.

Agree but also think pass rush will be much better in 2018.

Let's get you on record: the DB group had a good game in the Super Bowl? Yes or no?

Kontra I hope we are Faster and more Athletic, add to that Good Health up Front in 2018. I think even Revis in his prime couldn't cover how bad we were in the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down