PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Day 2 - Pregame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just stop being a D-bag and control yourself for 5 minutes, until the pick is revealed on TV. It’s not that difficult.

Oh please. I wasn't the only one. Even ian was doing it. What Ross is suggesting is a good idea - some folks like to get the picks ASAP while others like to wait for it to be announced. Therefore, two threads.

It shouldn’t be necessary. The mods should take control and set rules. Spoilers should get a warning and should then get locked out of the thread if they do it a second time. If someone can’t control control the urge to be the first to reveal the player or be the first to make an assessment (news flash, we don’t care), that suggests a personality disorder. What say you @Ian?
There's not a rule, though. Some posters just asked for no spoilers and that was mostly respected early on but as the broadcasts got more and more behind, it became unreasonable (IMO). I'm asking because I want to get a sense of the waters - do more posters want to be spoiler-free, or do more posters not care and welcome the info as it's available? Is it an even split? If it's fairly even, two threads would be a good solution. If the folks wanting no spoilers is a small minority, perhaps not.

I didn't get a lot of feedback yet, so maybe we'll just try it tonight and see how active each thread is to get that data. My hunch is that the no-spoilers thread will be less active but I could be super wrong.

Oh please. I wasn't the only one. Even ian was doing it. What Ross is suggesting is a good idea - some folks like to get the picks ASAP while others like to wait for it to be announced. Therefore, two threads.
Full disclosure, so did I. The broadcast was an eternity behind. That only gets worse on day 2 onwards as the time teams get between picks shortens.

Why is the NFL allowing the media to spoil the picks online?

I noticed that towards the end of round 1 that ian rapaport and breer were not announcing the picks ahead of time. I think the NFL put the clamps on them. Either that, the broadcast finally caught up...

A good article on the top prospects still available:

Fantastic read. Thanks!

Day 2...I don't think they go WR. Maybe Metchie if Jones is Jonesing for him, but I don't see it.

Reading that article makes the pick make more sense to me. There are still a bunch of LBs out there, all grading near to those already taken - Dean, Muma, Chenal, Anderson, Asamoah, Tindall, Harris, Ojabo (who my buddy thought might be the pick), Ebikete...

There are still a lot of DBs out there graded as well as any who were there (except McDuffie). Booth is there, as is Gordon. Then projects, but with lots of potential, like McCollum and Jones.

DL...Travis Jones is there (but keep in mind that he didn't play against superior opponents, either...if that's a problem for you with Strange, then it should be a problem with Jones. Leal is there, Mathis is there, Winfrey, Paschal, Hall...maybe Wyatt was a bit better, but you had to know that the stories about him were going to make him a no-go for the Pats.

Day 2, I think, will feature 3 players from these groups.

QUESTION: If you looked at the Pats current starting O and D players before the Strange pick, who was still on the board who would immediately make them a better team on the field...AND shows a significant falloff at that position behind him, with maybe only 1 or 2 near-quality? It's that Zolak quote someone posted about all the balancing issues that got me thinking this way.

So if BB and the others believed that there was no one, or only a couple, left behind Strange who wouldn't fall off the cliff in having an immediate impact, there's the answer of why they picked Strange.

For the first part of the question, maybe Travis Jones and Booth/Gordon. I don't see any WRs who improve the current set. Same with RB, TE, OT, EDGE (I only liked a couple of them, to be honest, and said so repeatedly). Maybe Lloyd, but there are a lot of good LBs left - the question isn't JUST who is the BPA, but who IMPROVES the roster the most (NEED) AND who is needed among the shallowest remaining group.

They could Target two really good Players with the Extra Third and Fourth. Not going too risk for the the game to guess anymore with BB. Need a Good DL - LB and WR.

I noticed that towards the end of round 1 that ian rapaport and breer were not announcing the picks ahead of time. I think the NFL put the clamps on them. Either that, the broadcast finally caught up...
The question is, how are they finding out?

i don't think we can stay at 54 if we want the best available DT, CB and Edge.

Guys i like BB to trade up for :
Travis Jones
Booth
Gordon
Boye Mafe
Nakobe Dean

I am no draftnick to say the least, but I like Booth more than McDuffie. From what I have seen and read, he might be better off going one on one with guys like Diggs and Waddle and/or Hill. From what I can tell McDuffie can struggle to man up on a big WR and Booth is better at it.

The question is, how are they finding out?

The teams who are on the clock are getting the picks in advance, so there are people from inside the organizations who are probably texting them. Also, haven't you noticed that the talking heads get the picks ahead of time too? They are act like they don't know but say "I think the team X is going OG here," etc. Then they bring up the names of a few OGs - the guy the team actually picks and a few other considerations. it makes them look smart.

It shouldn’t be necessary. The mods should take control and set rules. Spoilers should get a warning and should then get locked out of the thread if they do it a second time. If someone can’t control control the urge to be the first to reveal the player or be the first to make an assessment (news flash, we don’t care), that suggests a personality disorder. What say you @Ian?
It stinks, but I think it's too hard to do because there are quite a few of us now who don't have cable during the offseason (I also fall into that category ... I just rarely watch TV these days) and follow it online and through Twitter. I had the NFL.com draft ticker open and they were literally even behind the broadcast where the pick had already been announced, even sometimes as far as two picks back. The team had even already announced the pick before NFL.com had posted it...which is ridiculous and shows you where things have gotten to. I followed most of the night on Twitter, which is the first time I've done that in lieu of the broadcast, and I had a headache by the time the night was over trying to keep up with it.

I initially pondered using the chat in real-time and barring spoilers in there, which would allow people to then come back into the thread and react after the pick was made, but I don't want to overcomplicate things while also making it where Ross, Ashley and I would then have to also monitor both. There are reasons to remove people from threads, but I don't feel like that would be an egregious enough reason to do so.

I would say that if it's a concern, obviously the thread will be here after you see who's picked and then people can stay away and then jump back in to post reactions. But I don't want to add another reason for us to get into confrontations with people on a night where we're all just watching to see who's going to be taken. Those end up typically getting contentious, which creates additional headaches for us. It also leads to PMs and other conversations I'd rather not have when I'm also just trying to follow along with who the team is taking. I'm pretty sure @Ross12 and @ashley1992 agree, even though it does kill some of the suspense from the broadcast.

Full disclosure, so did I. The broadcast was an eternity behind. That only gets worse on day 2 onwards as the time teams get between picks shortens.
That was the issue. They were way off (I was texting a friend of mine who was watching it) - especially for the teams who had their picks in fairly quickly toward the end of the night. It was ridiculous and I'm sure it will be even worse tonight.

What are people's thoughts on having separate no-spoilers and spoilers-welcome threads later? Especially on days 2 and 3, the TV broadcasts end up getting 5+ picks behind and it becomes a trainwreck. However, I know some folks prefer not to have the TV experience spoiled by reporters online, and would rather wait for the picks to be shown live. Curious what opinions are.
Personally, I just wait till the Picks are announced on tv before checking in on board and getting involved with conversation. Not sure how it can be completely avoided. Is the chat feature able to be used during the draft? Maybe that could be the game day/live reactions spot. I wouldn’t put too much work on it. Nice of ya’ll to ask tho.

*just saw Ian post about the chat feature. Ignore me.

I did record Day 1 last night and when I got up this am I just avoided all social media , sports programmes etc and fast forwarded to the Pats pick .....!!!!

Tomorrow morning I will just end up going to the official Patriots site or one of the beat reporters and get the news. If it is worthwhile then I may watch the recording to see the build up.....just too lazy on my part.

Got to be good in Rounds 2 and 3

I’m gonna just sit back and enjoy the ride. Yesterday was ****ing wild, and I’m sure today is going to be even crazier with trades happening. Was it any surprise that teams traded several spots in front of us to grab guys many thought were targets? Bill is either gonna be much more aggressive today, or just let other teams spend themselves out and clean up. Hopeful that we just load up on defense today. Speed, power, and nastiness! Let’s get it.

Reactions: Ian
I hear that St. Mary's School for the Blind has great defensive back, with a long injury history, that BB hopes will drop to 54.

Kraft needs to hire a GM!

Attachments

• F2B40CDA-3FA5-41F2-8259-35E5A8F7A534_4_5005_c.jpeg
    F2B40CDA-3FA5-41F2-8259-35E5A8F7A534_4_5005_c.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 3
Post the picks immediately when you find out what they are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back