PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Jesse James Catch the Ball? (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th3Birdman

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to address the controversy over the (correct) call made by the referee, whether Jesse James caught the football or not.

So, I made a video on the subject. Very short and succinct.

Check it out! (Even shout out PatsFans haha!)

I understand what you guys are saying.

I made the video for those that are on the “Pats always get the calls/Refs cheated for the Pats/Jesse caught the ball/I just hate the Patriots” folks

I use video evidence to support my position. It’s quite clear for those that aren’t biased against NE to see that it wasn’t a catch but sometimes people need a voice telling them (along with evidence of course)

So, what did you guys think of the video?

I'd like to make more of these (specifically football related) Let's Talks, and feedback would be much appreciated, and would help me decide to continue or not quit my day job o_O

Receiver Must 'Survive a Catch' worded and strongly advised to be approved by Steeler's Coach Tomlin who is on Rules Committee. J.J. might have crossed Goal Line with a catch but didn't 'Survive' and clearly didn't finish TD. So I guess it's safe to say Jesse James Shot himself in his foot.

Receiver Must 'Survive a Catch' worded and strongly advised to be approved by Steeler's Coach Tomlin who is on Rules Committee. J.J. might have crossed Goal Line with a catch but didn't 'Survive' and clearly didn't finish TD. So I guess it's safe to say Jesse James Shot himself in his foot.

Yeah, it's hard to argue your (JJ's) position when your own coach helped write the rule.

The only controversy in this game involving a TD is the flag that got picked up by the ref crew on the first Steelers TD.

Everything else was pretty clear and non-controversial..

First off, not a catch.

But, to go a bit deeper into what may have figured into the ruling, there was something that I noticed on the replays. As his left forearm hits the turf, the left hand loses contact with the ball and spins in his right hand (as shown by the laces rotating towards his right hand) as it contacts the ground.

I have not seen this mentioned anywhere as the reason control wasn't maintained. I've heard that the ball is moving, but sometimes it is hard to discern movement and I find it helpful to understand what movement actually looks like and the subtle clues that show the ball is moving.

First off, not a catch.

But, to go a bit deeper into what may have figured into the ruling, there was something that I noticed on the replays. As his left forearm hits the turf, the left hand loses contact with the ball and spins in his right hand (as shown by the laces rotating towards his right hand) as it contacts the ground.

I have not seen this mentioned anywhere as the reason control wasn't maintained. I've heard that the ball is moving, but sometimes it is hard to discern movement and I find it helpful to understand what movement actually looks like and the subtle clues that show the ball is moving.

In my video, I believe I address that (though not exactly in words, just with video evidence and an arrow pointing at it).

I'll never understand the confusion and outrage over the catch rules in the NFL. It's one of the few things the league routinely gets right: it's not perfect, but for all the complaints nobody has proposed a better alternative yet. If you're going to the ground while completing the catch, you have to control the ball through to the ground. That's it, it's not complicated. If we allowed guys to establish possession while falling to the control we'd have a ton more fumbles as a direct result of it, and then the same people who constantly ***** about these plays being incomplete would ***** about the fumbles instead.

James didn't catch it, Sanders didn't catch it, Dez didn't catch it. These are all straightforward, indisputable calls by rule and it's a good rule. The announcers and fans who go nuts every time this happens would do well to spend half as much time learning the rules as they do complaining about them, because none of this is complicated.

gronkowski had a similar play called back in the denver game when the officials couldnt "determine" whether it touched the ground or not.

if it was gronk that did that and the steelers won we wouldnt hear anything of this. We would hear how it was a good call and patriots need to accept the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes