PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Pats @ Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might just be me, but I could swear that Rapistburgers "clock" signal with his right hand was different than that of his left. And, on the ensuing play the wr to the right ran a route, and all on the left just kind of stood around.

So, what I think was that it was intentional. They thought they could lull the defense if half the eligibles did nothing. BR signaled which side would be hot with his two different clock signals. Does any of the video show that signal clearly?
It appears to me that he taps his helmet while scanning both the right side and then the left side, which normally signifies an audible/changed call.

He makes sure that everyone is aware, but it appears as though they aren’t all on the same page. I could be wrong, but this was something that I’ve watched several times now. I think he changed the play at the line and the communication didn’t seem to go through to everyone. I dunno. The whole thing was weird.

Sometime I wonder that if Ebner remained healthy that HE'd be the one getting the Jordan Richards snaps.
Doubt it. Ebner has been here over 5 years, and he hasn't received any meaningful snaps yet.

Yep, semi surprising. You can't go full "prevent" but in this instance I'd think the approach would be to come off a couple yards and keep everything in front of you (tackle in bounds if at all possible). But this just may have been BB/MP playing to win -- trying to force a TO by downs right then and there versus allow the FG that many felt the Steelers would get.

Steelers got lucky on that big play. They didn't get lucky completing it or gaining some yards but 70 yards or 60 yards or whatever, on a paper thin crossing route against a D that was 100% pass? That wasn't drawn up as a big gainer. not even in their dreams, that was a whole lotta good fortune involved in gaining that many yards. But fortune is fickle and the TD that was an incomplete pass was the swing of that pendulum.
I have to disagree with you BS. Running a tight man coverage was NOT good situational football. Had they run something like a 4 man under shell, that play would have netted a 5-10yd gain (IF completed) with the ball on the Steeler 35 and no TO's.

Instead they ran a defense that required a number of them to have their backs to the ball and they allowed what SHOULD have bee a 25 yd gain, and wound up to be close to an 80 yd gain (thank jordan richards). But even that 25 yd gain would have been unacceptable for that situation,, leaving them with about 45 seconds left and only 15 yds left to get into FG position. and then NEEDING to play a more risky man coverage

That underneath shell is how the Pats have been playing in situations like these so effectively for the last 18 years.....and rightly so. Why they weren't in it for that play makes no sense to me. As it was the Steelers ran the perfect play that was well executed against that man coverage and SHOULD have gotten (as mentioned before) 20-25 yds, which STILL would have been very bad situational football.

Doubt it. Ebner has been here over 5 years, and he hasn't received any meaningful snaps yet.
for the last couple of years he's been regularly used in GL situations where a run was expected.

Ebner always had the physical skills to be on a regular defense, but, as you know, he had ZERO experience playing the position. Hey, the didn't play any organize football until he was a sophomore in College. He also had a plethora of better and more experienced safeties ahead of him (McCouirty, Chung, Harmon and Wilson who turned out to be a good S in Detroit). But now after 4 or 5 years of getting practice reps, I thought he was ready for more of a role in the regular D in certain situations and it seemed MattyP was giving them to him the last year or so in certain situations

I think he would have been more suited for the S/LB role that the Pats are currently using Richards for. I'm not saying he should have gotten major snaps, but something like the 10-15 Rixhards was getting.

Pittsburgh's frantic meltdown in the final seconds was glorious. Smith's 69-yard reception actually proved to be a good thing because it put them in position to screw up trying to win vs. tie. Had they not gotten that close they still might've worked their way into field goal range and then you've got overtime.

It appears to me that he taps his helmet while scanning both the right side and then the left side, which normally signifies an audible/changed call.

He makes sure that everyone is aware, but it appears as though they aren’t all on the same page. I could be wrong, but this was something that I’ve watched several times now. I think he changed the play at the line and the communication didn’t seem to go through to everyone. I dunno. The whole thing was weird.
It's like a replay of the swinging gate play.

for the last couple of years he's been regularly used in GL situations where a run was expected.

Ebner always had the physical skills to be on a regular defense, but, as you know, he had ZERO experience playing the position. Hey, the didn't play any organize football until he was a sophomore in College. He also had a plethora of better and more experienced safeties ahead of him (McCouirty, Chung, Harmon and Wilson who turned out to be a good S in Detroit). But now after 4 or 5 years of getting practice reps, I thought he was ready for more of a role in the regular D in certain situations and it seemed MattyP was giving them to him the last year or so in certain situations

I think he would have been more suited for the S/LB role that the Pats are currently using Richards for. I'm not saying he should have gotten major snaps, but something like the 10-15 Rixhards was getting.
Was unaware of or had forgotten about Ebner's snaps during GTG situations. He absolutely had, and hopefully will still have, the size & athleticism to play a meaningful role as a backup SS at the least, and best case as a SS/LB in most power packages.

Damn shame that, instead of going straight out of bounds after he had gained the 1st down, Ebner makes a cut for meaningless yards that ends his season. Who knows, maybe he would've been the one who blitzes Cutler on 3rd/7 and actually sacks him.

Last edited:
Pittsburgh's frantic meltdown in the final seconds was glorious. Smith's 69-yard reception actually proved to be a good thing because it put them in position to screw up trying to win vs. tie. Had they not gotten that close they still might've worked their way into field goal range and then you've got overtime.

It reminded me of the 2013 NO game in that way. NO's penultimate possession started in FG range (pick? TO on downs? I can't remember) and because of it, Payton was willing to forego a legitimate shot at killing the clock for the already-granted 3 points. In a weird way, what seemed like a bad turn of events enabled the victory.

2nd qtr, 15:00, PIT 44, 3rd and 8
I've seen a lot of talk about Gilmore getting beat by Bryant down the sideline. But I haven't seen anyone mention the blatant hold against Wise Jr that doesn't get called.

Wise immediately beats pro bowl left tackle, #78 Alejandro Villanueva who yanks Wise back by the back of his shoulder. He's completely by him, and you don't call that ref? WTF! I mean, the left guard even joins in on the hold! What a ****ing crock of ****!

There were some marginal calls that could have been called holding against the Pats and Squealers o-line but that one was egregious! Should have been repeat 3rd and 18!

Speaking of, Wise, Flowers and Lee all beat #78 on a few occasions. How did this guy make the pro bowl? He was as bad as Thuney. I don't know wtf players and coaches are looking at. Or who is voting?

3rd qtr, 3:13, NWE 13, 3rd and 1, play action fake
This was disappointing, one man route, with the tight end trickling out for the 1st down. Pats D needs to be on that stuff! Very disappointing!

Throughout the game the pats D lined up with one less than the squealers had in the box daring the squealers to run. Sometimes we stopped them, sometimes they got a good gain. When it was an even amount in the box, sometimes we stopped them, sometimes we didn't. The run D is a little inconsistent.

Teams are still running that damn WR crack inside, O lineman pull outside, toss to RB outside against us. We're still not doing the best job against it. We need to shut that down so teams stop using that against us.

Allen had 13 run snaps, 10 pass snaps, 2 kneel downs, 1 false start.

Looks like Heyward baited Allen into that false start on 3rd and 1.

Allen pass blocked 2 times. Allen went out on a route 8 times. Allen was targeted 1 time and caught 1 ball.

3rd qtr, 13:53, NWE 37, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line
Allen slightly chips #90 and goes towards the sideline for a checkdown at 1 yard of LOS. Catches the ball and runs and splits two defender just getting the 1st down. Nice job!

Allen had 11 positive run blocking snaps.

Just want to add to all the previous Allen conversation on his pancake block for the Lewis TD game winner. Those blocks are routine blocks for him. He's been doing it all season. He's always dominating DB's. If Allen is able to engage a DB, that DB might as well just lay down and submit because no matter what the DB does, he's not getting off the block. Allen finishes his blocks every time. 100% effort every time he's out on the field. He never gives up on a block even when he's losing/has lost he tries to recover.

Allen had 2 negative run blocking snaps.

3rd qtr, 0:58, NWE 42, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line
Allen engages #90 Watt and tries to keep him inside. #90 does a spin move to get away and blocks into Develin blowing up the play for 1 yard gain.

4th qtr, 7:38, NWE 28, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen right of line, Gronk out left in the slot
Allen whifs on his block of #91 Tuitt, #91 does a little swim move? Allen recovers a little but #91 looks like he's just trailing. Doesn't affect the play. 2.5 yard gain.

As for Hollister's blocking, there's too small of a sample size to say anything about it yet. So I'll stay on the fence with regards to his blocking.

Last edited:
When Allen was on the field:

PASS ROUTE - 1st qtr, 11:33, NWE 36, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen in the middle of trips left, Gronk in the slot to the right side
PASS ROUTE - 1st qtr. 10:20, NWE 50, 1st and 10, 22 personnel, Allen in motion slightly while aligned to the right of Gronk end of line.
RUN ----- 1st qtr, 9:39, PIT 7, 1st and goal, 12 personnel, Allen left of line, Gronk in motion from left to right end of line
RUN ----- 1st qtr, 9:05, PIT 1.5, 2nd and goal, 23 personnel FB, Allen left of line, Gronk and Hollister left to right end of line
PASS BLOCK - 1st qtr, 5:29, NWE 24, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen right of line, Gronk in motion right to left of line.

RUN ----- 2nd qtr, 10:01, PIT 14, 1st and 10, 21 personnel FB, Gronk and Allen right to left end of line
time out - 2nd qtr, 9:18, PIT 13, 2nd and 10, 12 personnel, Allen right of line, Gronk middle of trips left
PASS ROUTE - 2nd qtr, 9:18, PIT 13, 2nd and 10, 13 personnel, Allen in motion right to left, Hollister left of line, Gronk right of line
KNEEL DOWN - 2nd qtr, 0:20, NWE 27, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line

RUN ----- 3rd qtr, 14:33, NWE 32, 2nd and 3, 12 personnel, Allen and Gronk left to right of line
PASS ROUTE - 3rd qtr, 13:53, NWE 37, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line
RUN ----- 3rd qtr, 13:15, NWE 47, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen split out to the left, Gronk left of line
RUN ----- 3rd qtr, 12:05, PIT 25, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen split out to the left, before motioning inside laterally slightly, Gronk left of line
RUN ----- 3rd qtr, 11:41, PIT 29, 2nd and 4, 12 personnel, Gronk and Allen right to left end of line
false start - 3rd qtr, 10:59, PIT 15.5, 3rd and 1, 22 personnel FB, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line
RUN ----- 3rd qtr, 9:23, PIT 6, 1st and goal, 23 personnel FB, Allen left of line, Gronk and Hollister left to right end of line
PASS ROUTE - 3rd qtr, 9:00, PIT 4, 2nd and goal, 22 personnel FB, Allen split out right, Gronk right of line
PASS ROUTE - 3rd qtr, 5:22, NWE 25, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen left of line, Gronk inside on trips right
RUN ----- 3rd qtr, 0:58, NWE 42, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line
PASS BLOCK - 3rd qtr, 0:23, NWE 42.5, 2nd and 9, 22 personnel FB, Allen and Gronk left to right end of line

RUN ----- 4th qtr, 7:38, NWE 28, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen right of line, Gronk out left in the slot
RUN ----- 4th qtr, 6:28, NWE 37.5, 3rd and 1, 22 personnel FB, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line
RUN ----- 4th qtr, 5:45, NWE 49, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen in the slot right, Gronk in the slot left
PASS ROUTE - 4th qtr, 1:55, NWE 49, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen in the slot right, Gronk in the slot left
PASS ROUTE - 4th qtr, 1:09, PIT 25, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen in the slot right, Gronk in the slot left
RUN ----- 4th qtr, 1:00, PIT 8, 1st and goal, 12 personnel, Gronk and Allen from right to left end of line
KNEEL DOWN - 4th qtr, 0:05, NWE 20, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line

It reminded me of the 2013 NO game in that way. NO's penultimate possession started in FG range (pick? TO on downs? I can't remember) and because of it, Payton was willing to forego a legitimate shot at killing the clock for the already-granted 3 points. In a weird way, what seemed like a bad turn of events enabled the victory.
Yep, turnover on downs gave them the ball in close range and they turned a one point lead into a four point lead with the FG.

Even stranger, the turnover on downs occurred with a little over 2:00 minutes remaining, I believe. The fact that we even got the ball back was impressive, let alone winning the game.

Or the 2003 DEN intentional safety game.

The 2007 Ravens game when they were 20 pt faves and almost lost comes to mind, as well. First you had the crazy Rex Ryan timeout, then you had the false start on Hochstein set them back for 4th and 6 after the gift from Rex.

Is there any circumstance under which Allen could play OL?

His pass blocking sample size is small. For the most part when he pass blocks he's usually double teaming with the tackle. There was one time where I think he got beat pass blocking an end one on one earlier in the season. He would need to put on weight too and see if how he'd play with that weight.

So I don't know.

As for Hollister's blocking, there's too small of a sample size to say anything about it yet. So I'll stay on the fence with regards to his blocking.

I am really curious how/if Hollister will develop over the summer. It is going to be a huge offseason for him to maybe become a realistic option in the offense.

Is there any circumstance under which Allen could play OL?

is there any circumstance where Cooks could play cornerback ? Because that is the same kind of question..

Or the 2003 DEN intentional safety game.

I thought about that one but disregarded it because the safety was NE's choice. The NO and Pitt games, by comparison, had ostensibly positive plays that paradoxically led to critical errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe