PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Pats @ Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the two point conversion, the safety was driving to take away the slant. The CB just had to defend the fade. He failed and Gronk easily beats the double team.

Good things happen when you look back at the QB/Ball. Not many defenders better than Chung on this team.

He's great in his niche. The Patriots coaching staff tried to fit a square peg in a round hole earlier in his career. Chung is not a good deep safety that you would want to align opposite of McCourty or in centerfield. But he's great close to the LOS and in coverage specifically on TEs.

He's great in his niche. The Patriots coaching staff tried to fit a square peg in a round hole earlier in his career. Chung is not a good deep safety that you would want to align opposite of McCourty or in centerfield. But he's great close to the LOS and in coverage specifically on TEs.

Agreed.

Great story. Guy worked his tail off and is so versatile. Somewhat before his time with all these hybrids nowadays.

I think Bill is better coaching/drafting the closer the player is to the ball & that makes sense with Chungs 2nd act here

This play just drives me mental.

Gilmore is actually an insane athlete but at times his speed isn't utilized properly. Dude is a legit sub 4.4 guy and doesn't even bother trying to use the sideline here. Some subtle hand fighting would go a long way here

from what ive noticed, it seems that Gilmore slows down running the second he looks back at the ball, he needs to learn to keep up running full speed when looking back, b/c that is the exact point the WR goes by him

its happened before

from what ive noticed, it seems that Gilmore slows down running the second he looks back at the ball, he needs to learn to keep up running full speed when looking back, b/c that is the exact point the WR goes by him

its happened before

He needs to learn how to read the WRs eyes better. McCourty had the same problem (albeit much more frequently) when he was a corner. Gilmore needs to keep his eyes on his man until his man turns and looks up at the ball. You can usually tell when the ball is coming the wider his eyes get.

This play just drives me mental.

Gilmore is actually an insane athlete but at times his speed isn't utilized properly. Dude is a legit sub 4.4 guy and doesn't even bother trying to use the sideline here. Some subtle hand fighting would go a long way here

Yes, Gilmore could have been tighter on him (and most probably would have if he didn't peek at the QB) but I am not sure he could have prevented a reception without a flag coming out. That being said it was also a hell of a play by Bryant to get that ball.

If Bryant wasn't this borderline basket case he would be among the best receivers in the NFL.

Communication issues still hurt us. This has to get straighten out.

There is an entire segment on the current QuickSlants where Mayo goes for like 2-3min deep, deep about the coverage on the non-TD play and explains why this was actually not that easy to defend and pretty impossible to assign blame in terms of coverage.

Really worth a listen...

These threads are pretty good, and would have been appreciated more back in the day. Having said that, it seems to me that, given the weekly griping about Brady not being the world's second perfect man and first perfect QB, there could be a video breakdown of every single pass attempt he makes in the course of the game.

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
I'm not smart enough to post GIFs, but I looked at the all-22 of the Steelers' first touchdown and I'm bewildered why the "ineligible man downfield" flag was picked up.

The LOS was the 19 and the guard engaged with Harris at the 15 before the ball was thrown.

Can anyone explain?

Has the League offered an explanation in the way that they have for the James bobble? It's not as if this was a call that was missed. The refs consciously changed their minds -- and, since it was a TD, presumably there was a video review.

As an aside, where is @NE-VT? He hasn't been active in these threads in the last couple of weeks. Did someone shout him down too hard?

I'm not smart enough to post GIFs, but I looked at the all-22 of the Steelers' first touchdown and I'm bewildered why the "ineligible man downfield" flag was picked up.

The LOS was the 19 and the guard engaged with Harris at the 15 before the ball was thrown.

Can anyone explain?

Has the League offered an explanation in the way that they have for the James bobble? It's not as if this was a call that was missed. The refs consciously changed their minds -- and, since it was a TD, presumably there was a video review.

I guess people at this point are not reading the entire thread anymore because footage and talk about this began on the first page of this thread.

He needs to learn how to read the WRs eyes better. McCourty had the same problem (albeit much more frequently) when he was a corner. Gilmore needs to keep his eyes on his man until his man turns and looks up at the ball. You can usually tell when the ball is coming the wider his eyes get.

An interesting aside: this goes to show how Randy Moss was one of the best in the business at catching the bomb. He was so good at concealing his anticipation, it was quite frankly unfair.

I remember, very clearly, at a training camp session some years ago.. I was fortunate enough to be close to the sidelines when Moss was thrown a bomb. There were DB's flailing and trying to keep up over him while he was just running in that deceptive jogging manner and just casually, just happened, to look back and stick out his hands at the exact right time. The ball somehow got through that swarm of arms and hands and just hit his hands just perfectly. None of those DB's made any move to interfere with the catch- they had absolutely no hint that a pass was coming so none of them looked back.

The one thing I remember most was the complete bewilderment of the DBs covering him. Expressions of complete disbelief.

He made it look so easy.

An interesting aside: this goes to show how Randy Moss was one of the best in the business at catching the bomb. He was so good at concealing his anticipation, it was quite frankly unfair.

I remember, very clearly, at a training camp session some years ago.. I was fortunate enough to be close to the sidelines when Moss was thrown a bomb. There were DB's flailing and trying to keep up over him while he was just running in that deceptive jogging manner and just casually, just happened, to look back and stick out his hands at the exact right time. The ball somehow got through that swarm of arms and hands and just hit his hands just perfectly. None of those DB's made any move to interfere with the catch- they had absolutely no hint that a pass was coming so none of them looked back.

The one thing I remember most was the complete bewilderment of the DBs covering him. Expressions of complete disbelief.

He made it look so easy.

Yeah, the great ones always have that one part of their craft that is so underrated but, in reality, is what makes them great. They can conceal what they're really trying to do with the opponent. You mentioned that aspect with Moss. With Brady, it's his eyes. If you really study Brady, his eyes are a huge part of what makes him so effective. IMO, he is the best in NFL history at moving safeties and backers underneath with his eyes, looking them off, and then finding the hole and hitting it with a strike quickly before they can react. Rodgers, when he was fine-tuning his game, specifically said that he studied Brady's eyes in the 2007 season.

Reactions: PP2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents