PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the NFL clip of Tomlin/Haley clown show during final plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

luuked

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I thought I make a new thread to give more visibility to how the Steelers handled the final 2-3 plays:

They even had the sideline ref tell them exactly what is being looked at during review and still Tomlin lied in one of the post game iviews stating they told him some garbage about first down on the 1 yard line.

Roethlisberger is an excellent QB, but he has such a delicate ego - cannot handle any of the blame for things going wrong - quick to throw others under the bus.

Also limps around the field like an old war vet to make sure everyone sees what a tough guy he is.

I thought Tomlin was quite concise - the order to Haley was to make Ben run another play if they were taken down in bounds - I guess that message didn't get to Ben - and then he decided on that inane fake spike - and he only picked that play because he originally intended to spike it.

Panic fest.

Great stuff. Love to see us prevail in such dramatic fashion, and the added controversy for all of those asshats is just the icing on the cake. My only regret is that it didn’t happen during the 3rd week of January, robbing them of a trip to the SB for the 4th time.

Hopefully, this game proves to be beneficial in the race to earn HFA, or pretty much the exact opposite of what happened at the end of the year in 2015.

I thought Tomlin was quite concise - the order to Haley was to make Ben run another play if they were taken down in bounds - I guess that message didn't get to Ben - and then he decided on that inane fake spike - and he only picked that play because he originally intended to spike it.

My issue with the entire sequence is about WHEN it happened. There was a 3-4 minute review happening just moments earlier where you could have met with your OC and your QB (who was stretching and praying) and gone through those scenarios to make sure they are on the same page.

It is almost like he was reminded from upstairs just seconds before the second down was snapped that they might need a play fast if the timer is not stopped.

My issue with the entire sequence is about WHEN it happened. There was a 3-4 minute review happening just moments earlier where you could have met with your OC and your QB (who was stretching and praying) and gone through those scenarios to make sure they are on the same page.

It is almost like he was reminded from upstairs just seconds before the second down was snapped that they might need a play fast if the timer is not stopped.

This is where BB stands heads and shoulders above every other coach; when it comes to attention to details and preparation. Those two things are the two qualities I most admire about BB. He always thinks of everything.

This is where BB stands heads and shoulders above every other coach; when it comes to attention to details and preparation. Those two things are the two qualities I most admire about BB. He always thinks of everything.

lol the dislike.. wtf..

As BB is fond of saying - Situational Football. Know the situation, know your job, and do your job.

The ref literally says “he has to maintain control, if it hits the ground when he comes down then it’s an incomplete pass” to Tomlin and his fellow coaches, so I have absolutely no idea where Tomlin came up with that story about how the refs told him they were reviewing if he should be down at the 1 or in the end zone. Seems like an outright lie to make himself look like a victim (as always) to me.

Then you see that they spent that whole review period apparently doing absolutely nothing, and he doesn’t tell Haley that they need to run a play on 3rd down if 2nd down ends up in-bounds until right before the 2nd down snap. And even then, it doesn’t seem like Haley or Tomlin even try to relay that to the offense until that 2nd down was over, leading to the confusion.

The most idiotic phrase to me is by Ben, who says “it wasn’t a fake spike, I really wanted to spike it, I felt like that was the right call - clock it and give yourself one play.” This tells me that Ben didn’t even know what down it was, since clocking it on 3rd down would’ve made his “one play” 4th down... which obviously would need to be the field goal try to go to OT. It appears he had no idea what down it was.

All in all, the entire team comes off as a clusterf*** here.

Last edited:
The ref literally says “he has to maintain control, if it hits the ground when he comes down then it’s an incomplete pass” to Tomlin and his fellow coaches, so I have absolutely no idea where Tomlin came up with that story about how the refs told him they were reviewing if he should be down at the 1 or in the end zone.
Tomlin is a gutless liar. But we all already knew that.

The ref literally says “he has to maintain control, if it hits the ground when he comes down then it’s an incomplete pass” to Tomlin and his fellow coaches, so I have absolutely no idea where Tomlin came up with that story about how the refs told him they were reviewing if he should be down at the 1 or in the end zone.

Maybe they suddenly heard Zolak through their headsets.. but then again those things only happen in Foxboro..

Amazing. I can't imagine during that long delay that they weren't communicating to Ben about a final sequence of plays. Just a chaotic mess for the opposing team and not a good look.

Here's the difference between the 2 franchises. It the Pats had been in a similar situation, half the Pats booth staff would have been calling down to Bill to say, "it's possible this is coming back, Bill"; and the other half would be saying, "Bill, this is DEFINITELY coming back".

Why? Because I would bet the house that all the "catch rule" permutations have been gone over in detail early an often, both with the coaches, and to a lesser degree with the players. So in that 3 minute and 20 second wait, Bill, Brady, and Josh would have been working on what plays they still wanted to run. (btw- with 28 seconds they had PLENTY of time for 2 more shots into the endzone, and still kick the FL) Dante would have been talking to the OL about what to expect, and Boyer would have had a few words to the receivers. By the end of the 3 minutes Bill or Josh would have had the entire offense together to reiterate what needed to be done.

I don't know WTF the Steeler's booth was doing. But I'm guessing they DIDN'T have a clear understanding on what the full catch rule was, and I bet when the ref used the term "surviving the ground" it was probably the first time any had heard the term.

Now Tomlin WAS correct. He knew enough to want his coordinator to have 2 plays ready for his team after the ruling. But to my mind it was a complete failure by the OC NOT to have his team getting ready for a negative result of the review. It doesn't look like he spoke personally with Ben or any of the offense. The rest of the team just milled around waiting the preferred call that never came.

Clearly Tomlin is a good coach, who manages his team well. But unlike Bill he clearly hasn't mastered the ENTIRE game. If he really wants to take a leap into being a great coach, he will look at this clip and realize that in the off season he needs to make some changes, and not necessarily in coaching personnel. If I were him, I'd immediately designate at least one person on his staff to become the "rules guru". A guy who COULD have told him early that "no question this was coming back". i I would create a structure that whenever there is a review, players are required to get to their coaches and prepare for a negative result during that break.

Tomlin and his staff had a nice game plan for this game. It took the Pats 2 plays before they began to stop that sweep that they likely hadn't seen before), but that was about 60 yds later. His defensive game plan was a big improvement as well...for a while. It was, IMHO, Tomlin's best game plan for the Pats in a LONG time.....until the last 26 seconds of the game. And in the end it wasn't a bad decision he made that did him in, it was the structures he had set up that broke down. HE knew what was the right thing to do, but he failed to be able to communicate his message to his entire team. That wouldn't have happened to the Pats.

Last edited:
I don't know WTF the Steeler's booth was doing. But I'm guessing they DIDN'T have a clear understanding on what the full catch word was, and I bet when the ref used the term "surviving the ground" it was probably the first time any had heard the term.

Tomlin is on the friggin competition committee that was responsible for the latest change to the rule a few years back (removing the football move part). There is no excuse for him not to be aware of it..

Here's the difference between the 2 franchises. It the Pats had been in a similar situation, half the Pats booth staff would have been calling down to Bill to say, "it's possible this is coming back, Bill"; and the other half would be saying, "Bill, this is DEFINITELY coming back".

Why? Because I would bet the house that all the "catch rule" permutations have been gone over in detail early an often, both with the coaches, and to a lesser degree with the players. So in that 3 minute and 20 second wait, Bill, Brady, and Josh would have been working on what plays they still wanted to run. (btw- with 28 seconds they had PLENTY of time for 2 more shots into the endzone, and still kick the FL) Dante would have been talking to the OL about what to expect, and Boyer would have had a few words to the receivers. By the end of the 3 minutes Bill or Josh would have had the entire offense together to reiterate what needed to be done.

I don't know WTF the Steeler's booth was doing. But I'm guessing they DIDN'T have a clear understanding on what the full catch word was, and I bet when the ref used the term "surviving the ground" it was probably the first time any had heard the term.

Now Tomlin WAS correct. He knew enough to want his coordinator to have 2 plays ready for his team after the ruling. But to my mind it was a complete failure by the OC NOT to have his team getting ready for a negative result of the review. It doesn't look like he spoke personally with Ben or any of the offense. The rest of the team just milled around waiting the preferred call that never came.

Clearly Tomlin is a good coach, who manages his team well. But unlike Bill he clearly hasn't mastered the ENTIRE game. If he really wants to take a leap into being a great coach, he will look at this clip and realize that in the off season he needs to make some changes, and not necessarily in coaching personnel. If I were him, I'd immediately designate at least one person on his staff to become the "rules guru". A guy who COULD have told him early that "no question this was coming back". i I would create a structure that whenever there is a review, players are required to get to their coaches and prepare for a negative result during that break.

Tomlin and his staff had a nice game plan for this game. It took the Pats 2 plays before they began to stop that sweep that they likely hadn't seen before), but that was about 60 yds later. His defensive game plan was a big improvement as well...for a while. It was, IMHO, Tomlin's best game plan for the Pats in a LONG time.....until the last 26 seconds of the game. And in the end it wasn't a bad decision he made that did him in, it was the structures he had set up that broke down. HE know what was the right thing to do, but he failed to be able to communicate his message to his team. That wouldn't have happened to the Pats.

Haley was too busy celebrating Juju's play to actually plan for an end-of-the-game redzone opportunity with 34 seconds on the clock and no timeouts.

Great stuff. Love to see us prevail in such dramatic fashion, and the added controversy for all of those asshats is just the icing on the cake. My only regret is that it didn’t happen during the 3rd week of January, robbing them of a trip to the SB for the 4th time.

It must kill the Steelers and their fans, but if not for us, they'd probably have another Super Bowl or two. Heh...

They even had the sideline ref tell them exactly what is being looked at during review and still Tomlin lied in one of the post game iviews stating they told him some garbage about first down on the 1 yard line.
The ref literally says “he has to maintain control, if it hits the ground when he comes down then it’s an incomplete pass” to Tomlin and his fellow coaches

I don't think so -- I'm pretty sure that's Joey Porter the ref is talking to at 2:47, not Tomlin. The HC is nowhere in the frame.

There's plenty that Tomlin has to answer for, but not this specifically.

Tomlin is on the friggin competition committee that was responsible for the latest change to the rule a few years back (removing the football move part). There is no excuse for him not to be aware of it..
Well that's the point, in one sense. Yes, HE should have known the details of the rule, but how about the rest of his staff. What was he hearing from the booth, besides, "hooray, we win"

But now that you mention it, when HE saw the replay, you would think that a guy on the competition committee would have known there was at least the possibility that it was coming back and use the time they had to coach up his team.

Maybe more culpable than I originally thought. It was a clearly a FU, These things happen, but its how you react to that FU that determines what kind of leader you are. You'd think that after close to a decade as a HC he'd have figured it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes