PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the NFL clip of Tomlin/Haley clown show during final plays

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so -- I'm pretty sure that's Joey Porter the ref is talking to at 2:47, not Tomlin. The HC is nowhere in the frame.

There's plenty that Tomlin has to answer for, but not this specifically.

Hmm, so maybe another official told Tomlin the wrong thing? That's just 2017 NFL being 2017 NFL, LOL.

#integrityofthegame

My issue with the entire sequence is about WHEN it happened. There was a 3-4 minute review happening just moments earlier where you could have met with your OC and your QB (who was stretching and praying) and gone through those scenarios to make sure they are on the same page.

It is almost like he was reminded from upstairs just seconds before the second down was snapped that they might need a play fast if the timer is not stopped.

Exactly. Don’t let that moron Tomlin off the hook. He throws that out there just as Ben is about to snap the ball on 2nd down. After squirting a little bit in his underwear Haley had about 5 seconds to come up with a play amid the chaos. Haley is to blame for sure but that is on Tomlin too.

Instead of having his own version of Pink Stripes in the booth doing Rain Man calculations in his head, he probably has his cousin Jimmy up there telling him “We good, Mike. Finally got them *****es”.

I don't think so -- I'm pretty sure that's Joey Porter the ref is talking to at 2:47, not Tomlin. The HC is nowhere in the frame.

There's plenty that Tomlin has to answer for, but not this specifically.
That’s my mistake, I thought I saw him behind Porter.

Still, that is confusing. So he’s alleging that one member of the team gave Porter the correct situation but some other official told him something completely different?

Clearly Tomlin is a good coach, who manages his team well. But unlike Bill he clearly hasn't mastered the ENTIRE game. If he really wants to take a leap into being a great coach, he will look at this clip and realize that in the off season he needs to make some changes, and not necessarily in coaching personnel. If I were him, I'd immediately designate at least one person on his staff to become the "rules guru". A guy who COULD have told him early that "no question this was coming back". i I would create a structure that whenever there is a review, players are required to get to their coaches and prepare for a negative result during that break.

Tomlin and his staff had a nice game plan for this game. It took the Pats 2 plays before they began to stop that sweep that they likely hadn't seen before), but that was about 60 yds later. His defensive game plan was a big improvement as well...for a while. It was, IMHO, Tomlin's best game plan for the Pats in a LONG time.....until the last 26 seconds of the game. And in the end it wasn't a bad decision he made that did him in, it was the structures he had set up that broke down. HE knew what was the right thing to do, but he failed to be able to communicate his message to his entire team. That wouldn't have happened to the Pats.

Good post. That being said, as good a coach as Tomlin is, he hasn't quite improved on not making the same mistake twice which is something BB is very good at doing. You will almost never catch BB making the same mistake twice.

There is just something about that disconnect between Tomlin, his OC, and Ben which makes me think that they still don't practice situational football to the extent that BB does.

One bad habit that Tomlin has obviously shown no sign of changing, is his temptation to look ahead to an important game or to dwell on a past game for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe