PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense - old, slow, bad

I assume he is back next year in training camp?
I just read he was eligible to return in November of last year, but it looks like they told him to enjoy the rest of the year off. So yes to training camp.

so did the reshape of the defense already start? you've got the hybrid in Dugger in place......they already started looking speed at LB before this year, they just did it with a guy that needed a redshirt year......again, multi-year build, the overhaul has already started
When did our overhaul at start?

when we drafted Winovich?
when we drafted Uche?
when we drafted Jennings?
or, as you say, when we drafted McGrone?
or when we acquired McMillan?

I will add that the stats (and results) for the defense would have been much worse without the veterans this year: Judon, Hightower, Van Noy and Bentley.
================
Yes, the overhaul has started,

HOWEVER, it is the secondary that will be the focus of this off-season. Gilmore is gone. Jackson will want (and likely get) $20M a year. McCourty will likely retire. Jones has been on IR.

Before blowing up the defense, consider the results for the year and consider what they would have been with Gilmore, Jackson and Jones playing all year. Hopefully, Jones will be back strong at nickel, with Bryant as his backup. Phillips has been extended. Mills is fine, but he can't be CB1, CB2 and FS.

Perhaps, more of the issue is that when the defense gives up 25 points, the game was lost (all 9).

...Perhaps, more of the issue is that when the defense gives up 25 points, the game was lost (all 9).

I agree that the offense sucks too.

But this is a thread mainly concerning the defense and the HISTORICALLY bad performance it gave in its most recent game.

Next draft has to be heavily - if not Exclusively - spent on the defensive side of the LOS.

Bentley gets a lot of hate. But, I think he'll be good in his more natural role. He's not a cover LB. If we had better athletic LB's around him, he'd be okay. McGrone has a lot of speculation, but he's pretty small & light - he may get manhandled in the pros. They were super high on Mcmillan, so I hope he can emerge along with Perkins next year. Not sure if Uche or Jennings will ever develop.

I agree that the offense sucks too.

But this is a thread mainly concerning the defense and the HISTORICALLY bad performance it gave in its most recent game.

Next draft has to be heavily - if not Exclusively - spent on the defensive side of the LOS.
I agree with regard to the draft. Other than an OT, I don't see us drafting any other offensive position in the first rounds,

Stop it.

The defense wasn't "bad"; it was Complete Garbage... And that had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the offense.
Such complete garbage that they were 2nd in the NFL in points allowed.
YOU need to stop it. You're takes are what are complete garbage.

Collins, Hightower, and Bentley are UFA. They aren't coming back.

Contrary to YOU, Godchaux was actually above average this season.

The issue in the last quarter of the season was the team had been hit by COVID and players trying to play through injuries.

Yes, they need a young body to put next to Barmore. But they also need one opposite Judon.

You're forgetting that the Patriots have Henry Anderson under contract for next season. They also have Byron Cowart, who should be 100%.

Yes, they need a young body to put next to Barmore. But they also need one opposite Judon.

You're forgetting that the Patriots have Henry Anderson under contract for next season. They also have Byron Cowart, who should be 100%.

these are very valid points, especially about needing someone opposite judon.

our lack of depth has to be addressed this offseason if we are to take the next step.

The issue in the last quarter of the season was the team had been hit by COVID and players trying to play through injuries.

Not sure Anderson or Cowart are worth much.

I like the idea of kicking Barmore to DE and getting two DTs, one FA and one draft pick. Barmore rushes the QB well, but is not great at run defense. Barmore could contain and rush opposite Judon - I think Barmore might be a beast on the outside. I am content to collapse the pocket from the interior, there is rarely a sack up the middle except for a few exceptional guys we do not have.

these are very valid points, especially about needing someone opposite judon.

our lack of depth has to be addressed this offseason if we are to take the next step.
I guess we could draft yet another LB to take that spot. That approach has worked so well with the drafting of Winovich, Uche, Jennings, Perkins and McGrone.

We will likely have Van Noy here again.

I was thinking about drafting an edge guy to put opposite judon.

Thank God. We are lost without those two studs.
Anderson was so good that he appeared late in the 4th quarter in preseason games
I think he could be a cut option easy and you want them to be the backup of your backup at best
Cowart isn’t solving any issues either

Bentley gets a lot of hate. But, I think he'll be good in his more natural role. He's not a cover LB. If we had better athletic LB's around him, he'd be okay. McGrone has a lot of speculation, but he's pretty small & light - he may get manhandled in the pros. They were super high on Mcmillan, so I hope he can emerge along with Perkins next year. Not sure if Uche or Jennings will ever develop.
McGrone is the way the league is going. Darius Leonard, Devondre Campbell, Roquon Smith, Fred Warner, Patrick Queen, Devin White just to name a few. All smaller guys who would probably have been safeties 20 years ago. They are able to go sideline to sideline and over RBs in the flat and close in quickly on stretch runs. The league is now basketball on grass and we need athletes. McMillian and Bentley can find niche roles as running down LBs but the days of the big lumbering 260 lb linebackers as three down players is gone and Bill needs to make some changes.

Lol yes I am sure those guys coming back will allow us to force the Bills to punt at least once!

Et tu, Mike?

Anderson was so good that he appeared late in the 4th quarter in preseason games
I think he could be a cut option easy and you want them to be the backup of your backup at best
Cowart isn’t solving any issues either
And yet, Anderson made the team over other players in camp...

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back