PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense - old, slow, bad

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
When Bill said we couldn't keep up with them hopefully he meant it literally and not just on the scoreboard. A bunch of slow old men out there.

Who do you like as guys who should start/play a lot next year?

I have a short list :(

DL - Barmore, Wise
LB - Judon
S - Phillips, Dugger, McCourtey (could retire)
CB - Jackson, Jones, Mills

Hope for Cameron McGrone, Ronnie Perkins, Shaun Wade. And can Bill please use Uche?
(assuming Jackson is franchised).

I think the offense will mostly improve internally with Mac improving and hopefully the addition of a "quick win" slot guy. But the defense needs an almost total rebuild.

Last edited:
But they just have to coach it better, I've been told. I wonder if that means firing Little Stevie and/or Mayo. If it weren't for the 85 Super Bowl this would be our worst playoff loss. Heads need to roll.

Bills ran them off the field.

They need to get faster at LB and get some muscle up front. That D line has been soft like Charmin for years.

I think Jackson is gone. Too many needs on both sides to pay him.

Bills ran them off the field.

They need to get faster at LB and get some muscle up front. That D line has been soft like Charmin for years.

I think Jackson is gone. Too many needs on both sides to pay him.
Part of "keeping up" is not turning the ball over and punting over and over on offense. The Defense was bad, the offense did them no favors.

I wouldn't even include Wise in that front-6/7, but sadly we're stuck with him for one more season.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, do we save $5M by sh!t-canning Godsmack?

Judon, Barmore, Guy, Wino, Uche, Perkins, McGroan, McMillan & Penny Jennings should also all be in camp, but much, Much more is needed:

We need not one but TWO Beef Curtains, not the fake ones (Godsmack, Carl Davis) we had this past season;

We need AT LEAST one more legit DE to complement Judon;

And we need not one but TWO starting-caliber LBs who can run sideline-to-sideline as if their hair's on fire.

And this is without even addressing the secondary...

I’m wondering how possible it is for some of the holes to be filled internally. We HAVE invested some there in recent years. I think we see that some of those investments are already busts (joejuan is a bust).
But what happens if we try to develop uche, wino, Perkins, jennings, McGrone… I mean that’s five young guys that should hypothetically be able to help at LB. I really hope we have at least something there.

Part of "keeping up" is not turning the ball over and punting over and over on offense. The Defense was bad, the offense did them no favors.
I mean, come on. I sometimes believe that to be true, but come on. This was literally the worst defensive performance in nfl history. The only team to ever give up a touchdown on every drive. EVER.
I am usually pretty optimistic, but better field position for the defense would’ve just meant longer td drives and more stats for the bills.

I’m wondering how possible it is for some of the holes to be filled internally. We HAVE invested some there in recent years. I think we see that some of those investments are already busts (joejuan is a bust).
But what happens if we try to develop uche, wino, Perkins, jennings, McGrone… I mean that’s five young guys that should hypothetically be able to help at LB. I really hope we have at least something there.
Also Raekwon McMillon if he can stay healthy.

The offense is not built for shootouts. Bills scored 7 straight TD’s.

A comment from Mike Reiss that I thought was interesting:

View attachment 40010

Source:

Both guys were speed rush edge guys at Michigan. In a defense that was very blitz/attack oriented. I think both have shown some small flashes of production, but I don't think either is stout enough against the run. Throw Jennings in there's and it's disappointing that not one of them has been carve out some serious playing time.

The defense wasn't "bad"; it was Complete Garbage... And that had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the offense.
I had hopes that Hightower would have played better. He is physically done it appears.

What an ignominious end to a great player.

The miracle ending of the Seahawks SB was all set up with his one-on-one tackle of Beastmode. And this with a torn labrum. Do he had only one arm.

One of the all time great individual Patriots plays and players.

Both guys were speed rush edge guys at Michigan. In a defense that was very blitz/attack oriented. I think both have shown some small flashes of production, but I don't think either is stout enough against the run. Throw Jennings in there's and it's disappointing that not one of them has been carve out some serious playing time.
Wrong. Winovich did it all for multiple seasons as an every down DE.

Uche only played his last season principally as a third down pass rusher.

I mean, come on. I sometimes believe that to be true, but come on. This was literally the worst defensive performance in nfl history. The only team to ever give up a touchdown on every drive. EVER.
I am usually pretty optimistic, but better field position for the defense would’ve just meant longer td drives and more stats for the bills.
I know that’s not true just off the top of my head. In fact against these same bills. 2007 the key to stopping the pats was to slow the game down and limit possessions. Bills did just that giving the explosive offense just 8 turns to posses the ball. 8 TDs or 56 points. I don’t remember the bills score but I think it was 10. Now first time that happened in the post season? Maybe. That I am less sure of.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back