Cap Arithmetic And Plan For Defense

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1) $9M - Restructure Judon and Mills

2) $4M - Extend or trade and replace Godchaux

3) Re-sign or replace Jackson and McCourty

4) Draft a DT to add to the DL of Barmore, Wise, Godchaux, Guy, Anderson, Cowart, Winovich and Ekuale

5) Draft a LB to add to Judon, Van Noy, McMillan, Perkins, McGrone, Uche, Jennings, Langi and Tavai

6) Add a free agent LB for competition

I truly think they need a big body Nose Tackle to clog the middle, free up the LBs to make plays

I truly think they need a big body Nose Tackle to clog the middle, free up the LBs to make plays
I agree.

I expect a top 3 draft choice to be used for purpose.

Just a question - at what point do you make the decision to trade out of the first round?
I am not saying they should do that, but it's something I've been wondering - we've done it before but I the few times were when we were consistently within picks 29-32.

Maybe the better question is - when do first-round picks, by number, trend towards a value that's not much greater than 2nd rounders, so trading out has more value?

Sorry if this is viewed as derailing - to tether it back to the topic at hand, is this a dense enough draft from a defensive perspective that could warrant that decision?

What happened with Uche last year is still a mystery to me, and can we truly expect Perkins to make a significant contribution in year 2?

1) $9M - Restructure Judon and Mills

2) $4M - Extend or trade and replace Godchaux

3) Re-sign or replace Jackson and McCourty

4) Draft a DT to add to the DL of Barmore, Wise, Godchaux, Guy, Anderson, Cowart, Winovich and Ekuale

5) Draft a LB to add to Judon, Van Noy, McMillan, Perkins, McGrone, Uche, Jennings, Langi and Tavai

6) Add a free agent LB for competition
Cut Godchaux, Wino & Tavai: $7.2M cap savings. Throw in Anderson that's a total of $9.9M in savings.

Cut Godchaux, Wino & Tavai: $7.2M cap savings. Throw in Anderson that's a total of $9.9M in savings.
At least $2.8M of that has to go toward their replacements in the top 51 or eventually the active roster. You're overstating the impact of cutting Winovich and Tavai by about a factor of three. Cutting cheap players to replace them with minimum salary players doesn't save very much money.

At least $2.8M of that has to go toward their replacements in the top 51 or eventually the active roster. You're overstating the impact of cutting Winovich and Tavai by about a factor of three. Cutting cheap players to replace them with minimum salary players doesn't save very much money.
Tavai sucks, you can replace him with an UDFA. Anderson & Wino contributed almost nothing, so shouldn't be difficult to replace. Replace Godchaux w/ one of the top 3 picks.

Tavai sucks, you can replace him with an UDFA. Anderson & Wino contributed almost nothing, so shouldn't be difficult to replace. Replace Godchaux w/ one of the top 3 picks.
Tavai, Anderson and winovich being cut saves a combined 2.1 million.

A few mocks ive read lately has Jordan davis going lower 1st round. Thatd be a great start. Hopefully land a lb too.

Intrigued in the prospects of mcmillan, mcgrone, perkins , bledsoe, wade. Not giving up on uche. Those are mostly at areas of pretty crucial need too.

Hoping we can tag jcj and revisit his contract situation next offseason when the cap increases. Doesnt sound like an extension is anywhere in the ballpark right now. Dmc on a favorable deal, if hes still capable would help alot by allowing mills to stay at cb. Id be OK with that secondary with maybe an upgrade at cb4.

So all in all i dont think its too far off, just need to hit on 2-3 picks defensively unlless some of the prospects hit. If bb decides jcj is not even worth the franchise tag, we really have our work cut out

What happened with Uche last year is still a mystery to me, and can we truly expect Perkins to make a significant contribution in year 2?
It turns out he just sucks like Winovich. Uche looks like a midget out there and routinely gets thrown out of the club when defending the run. He's such as liability, he only comes in on passing downs but he's also terrible at that. He has one rush move and just stands around after the tackle stops his initial attack.

History is not on the LB's side when they are stashed on the Pats roster for whatever reason. If they don't play year 1, he probably won't be on the team very long.

A few mocks ive read lately has Jordan davis going lower 1st round. Thatd be a great start. Hopefully land a lb too.

Intrigued in the prospects of mcmillan, mcgrone, perkins , bledsoe, wade. Not giving up on uche. Those are mostly at areas of pretty crucial need too.

Hoping we can tag jcj and revisit his contract situation next offseason when the cap increases. Doesnt sound like an extension is anywhere in the ballpark right now. Dmc on a favorable deal, if hes still capable would help alot by allowing mills to stay at cb. Id be OK with that secondary with maybe an upgrade at cb4.

So all in all i dont think its too far off, just need to hit on 2-3 picks defensively unlless some of the prospects hit. If bb decides jcj is not even worth the franchise tag, we really have our work cut out
Sorry P, but Davis is going to go a lot higher than 21 and in the off chance he starts to slip Davis is NOT getting past the Chargers who pick at 17. They had about the worst run defense in the league and DESPERATELY need interior DL help. On the other hand there are a few DL picks who WILL be there in round 2. That's why I think the Pats will try and trade down to add a 2nd round 2 pick some where in the 30's. If I recall correctly trading down from 21 "should" get us a pick in the 30's plus and extra third round pick at least. That way we can get an solid prospects DT and LB in the 2nd and an CB and WR prospects in the 3rd

As to the off season we will likely see a completely new LB group. The only guy I'd bring back is KVN and go with Uche, McGrone, McMillan Perkins and the draft pick as our main grouping. I'd really like to see Uche get some run as an ILB in preseason. I think he has the speed and athleticism to excel and he'd only have to add about 10lbs of muscle this off season to get to 235. His burst would make him a threat to blitz and still run with athletic QB's. A combination of Uche with McGrone and McMillan would add a LOT of speed to our ILB group even before we draft another one.

I don't know if Jackson will be back. It's a question that hopefully WILL be answered by the end of April when we draft. Jones will be coming back. Players come and go that is the nature of the game and the market is the market. We shall see how it plays out. We all have seen examples of guys you felt sure would go stay and visa versa..

U
Sorry P, but Davis is going to go a lot higher than 21 and in the off chance he starts to slip Davis is NOT getting past the Chargers who pick at 17. They had about the worst run defense in the league and DESPERATELY need interior DL help. On the other hand there are a few DL picks who WILL be there in round 2. That's why I think the Pats will try and trade down to add a 2nd round 2 pick some where in the 30's. If I recall correctly trading down from 21 "should" get us a pick in the 30's plus and extra third round pick at least. That way we can get an solid prospects DT and LB in the 2nd and an CB and WR prospects in the 3rd

As to the off season we will likely see a completely new LB group. The only guy I'd bring back is KVN and go with Uche, McGrone, McMillan Perkins and the draft pick as our main grouping. I'd really like to see Uche get some run as an ILB in preseason. I think he has the speed and athleticism to excel and he'd only have to add about 10lbs of muscle this off season to get to 235. His burst would make him a threat to blitz and still run with athletic QB's. A combination of Uche with McGrone and McMillan would add a LOT of speed to our ILB group even before we draft another one.

I don't know if Jackson will be back. It's a question that hopefully WILL be answered by the end of April when we draft. Jones will be coming back. Players come and go that is the nature of the game and the market is the market. We shall see how it plays out. We all have seen examples of guys you felt sure would go stay and visa versa..

Perhaps but we shall see. Mock drafts this year are pretty much all over the place. If hes gone i am down with trading down, we may be able to nab his teammate devonte wyatt who’s stock is rising but may still be available early rd 2. Of course bb’s board may look entirely different

No because they would be replaced in the top 51.
If you cut those players there's $4.84M in cap space available to sign other players.

Scares me to death to play a nickel base with uche at ilb. I’d be afraid of him at ILB in a traditional 3-4 with 300 lovers across the DL. He just isn’t stout enough in the run game. TEs tend to abuse him.
I don’t think he will ever be anything more than a sub package pass rush only guy, but he can be effective in that role.

How many defensive linemen can we reasonably draft given the numbers we currently have under contract on the defensive line?

Scares me to death to play a nickel base with uche at ilb. I’d be afraid of him at ILB in a traditional 3-4 with 300 lovers across the DL. He just isn’t stout enough in the run game. TEs tend to abuse him.
I don’t think he will ever be anything more than a sub package pass rush only guy, but he can be effective in that role.
In fact it's easier for a quick smaller ILB to fill holes and take on G's going straight ahead than trying to set the edge while tons of beef are headed right for you going wide. There have been a LOT of small but quick ILB's who have had a lot of success doing that LDavid, and DWhite come to mind currently, the kid from the Bills and even the Logan kid from Cincy. There was also the great Miami ILB whose name escapes me at the moment.

Of course you have to develop instincts that only comes from reps and seeing things happen very fast. I transitioned from being a wide tackle 6 DT to oakie NT to ILB to 4-3 OLB to SS while in college and after. I got to see the game from a LOT of positions and EVERY adjustment took time and reps. In fact the toughest one was from OLB to SS, though ultimately it might have been my most natural position.

I'm not saying Uche can definitely make that transition, but he doesn't seem to be making any strong inroads playing outside either in impact or snap numbers, so why not take a chance there is nothing to lose at this point. He certainly has the athletic skills. Bruschi transitioned from an undersized DE to OLB to ILB where he made his greatest impact over his career here. Besides we have Wino, Perkins, KVN and Judon to play outside as of this moment. All of whom have been more effective than Uche outside, So why not take a shot and see what he can do. Even if you only use him in passing situations to cover or blitz you'd get more out of him than the are getting now.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back