PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeAndre Hopkins released (And Ongoing Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
717 yards last year in just 9 games. Catch rate percentage was 67....very good.

e38b5149627c34e50c9df1da8e41ec1c.png

Just bought my Hopkins New England jersey. Feels good.

I don’t necessarily think it’s if Hopkins wants to be here and if BB wants him here. I think this will depend upon if BOB wants him here. I don’t think BB will force anything on BOB this year that BOB doesn’t want.

Does BOB want Hopkins…..I sure don’t know.

I am kind of sour on him I don’t want him if it means losing a good young WR.
I’d rather develop Boutte.

Why can't we have Hopkins and still develop Boutte?

Hopkins is a true professional. His habits would be good for Boutte to be around.

I don't see how Hopkins gets in the way of his development.

717 yards last year in just 9 games. Catch rate percentage was 67....very good.

e38b5149627c34e50c9df1da8e41ec1c.png

Not that it matters to me but...Hopkins had more receiving yards in 2022 at age 30 then our first round pick in 2019 in his entire career...

b42dfd1189c71be86864bd474e113433.png

Last edited:
Put the Bills over the top? Haha. I like your posts from time to time, but posts like this display your complete lack of football knowledge. The Bills are past their window, they missed it, there is no "over the top" for the Bills. If you really understood anything about TB12 you would understand the Bills missed their opportunity, and the JETE trading for Rodgers puts them back in perpetual purgatory for another 10 years.
The Bills will be contenders so long as Josh Allen stays healthy. If he does Rogers won't outlast him and Hopkins, if he still has it will help Buffalo. I hope he chooses someone else

Bills are my 2nd choice. Hopkins and Diggs puts Buffalo over the top.
Every playoff loss for the Bills since 2020 has had the same result - their defense gets their ass kicked by competent teams. 38 to the Chiefs in 2020, 42 to the Chiefs 2021 and 27 to the Bengals in 2022. Despite this, analysts still keep raving how “good” their D is because of their “ranking”. They lack a lot of talent on D and they look worse now.

Hopkins and Diggs could be a nice combo, but their running game is still suspect. When will Harris get injured and will James Cook take a 2nd year leap?

Until the Bills D gets better, they will continue to have letdowns in the playoffs.
Put the Bills over the top? Haha. I like your posts from time to time, but posts like this display your complete lack of football knowledge. The Bills are past their window, they missed it, there is no "over the top" for the Bills. If you really understood anything about TB12 you would understand the Bills missed their opportunity, and the JETE trading for Rodgers puts them back in perpetual purgatory for another 10 years.
I don’t think their window is closed because Allen is young, but they need to get better on D as I mentioned above.
The Bills will be contenders so long as Josh Allen stays healthy. If he does Rogers won't outlast him and Hopkins, if he still has it will help Buffalo. I hope he chooses someone else
Shelf life of WR’s over 30 isn’t good. He could fall off a cliff at any time now. He either needs to take the money to get ready for retirement or take a cut and go to the best team he can.

You go take a look, then get back to me... Right now, they have 650k-ish cap space, and a crap ton of bonus monies paid out...

Its simple to make enough cap space to sign Hopkins. Kansas City Chiefs Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Chris Jones is in the final year of his contract. Cut him and you no longer owe him the 19.5 million in salary. Keep Jones and convert the 19.5 salary into signing bonus and amortize the signing bonus over the length of the new extension.

KC is not in cap trouble. They have options to make enough room to sign Hopkins if they want him.

Every playoff loss for the Bills since 2020 has had the same result - their defense gets their ass kicked by competent teams. 38 to the Chiefs in 2020, 42 to the Chiefs 2021 and 27 to the Bengals in 2022. Despite this, analysts still keep raving how “good” their D is because of their “ranking”. They lack a lot of talent on D and they look worse now.

Hopkins and Diggs could be a nice combo, but their running game is still suspect. When will Harris get injured and will James Cook take a 2nd year leap?

Until the Bills D gets better, they will continue to have letdowns in the playoffs.

I don’t think their window is closed because Allen is young, but they need to get better on D as I mentioned above.

Shelf life of WR’s over 30 isn’t good. He could fall off a cliff at any time now. He either needs to take the money to get ready for retirement or take a cut and go to the best team he can.
Allen turns the ball over a lot.

2019 WC loss to Houston Allen had 2 fumbles
2020 loss to KC Allen had 1 INT
2021 loss to KC Allen had 1 Fumble

Mahomes committed no mistakes in both Buffalo losses.

Over the 2022 regular season Allen had 14 INTs and 13 fumbles. 2021 season tallies are 15 INTs and 8 fumbles.

The Patriots love veteran receivers. Chad Ochocinco, Joey Galloway, Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne.
Galloway, Holt, and Wayne never played here, but the Patriots signed them hoping they would.
I'd love to see them take another shot.
Belichick has a few more seasons in him. I don't see the Patriots losing enough games to get into the top five of the draft to rebuild as long as Belichick is here.
If Hopkins helps them win two more games in 2023 and 2024, that pushes Belichick into the top win column a season earlier.

The Patriots really have two or three glaring needs - a #1 receiver, a clear second starting tackle, and maybe a versatile TE.
Hopkins would elevate the WR room. He might push out Parker or Bourne, without much downside. He could help Mac develop and build confidence. He's a player known for great routes, understands the defense, but not elite physical skills - that's sorta how the Patriots typically gameplan. Sure they love a Gronkowski and Moss, but the Troy Brown and Deion Branch players thrive here.
It would definitely make the 2023 season more exciting.

They have the cap space. They could easily use $8-10M in cap space for Hopkins.
They aren't in the position, based on the past three or four drafts, of needing to hoard cap space to re-sign key players.
What else will they do with $12M or so in available cap space to improve the 2023 team?
Why not use the cap to improve the team now?

Its simple to make enough cap space to sign Hopkins. Kansas City Chiefs Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Chris Jones is in the final year of his contract. Cut him and you no longer owe him the 19.5 million in salary. Keep Jones and convert the 19.5 salary into signing bonus and amortize the signing bonus over the length of the new extension.

KC is not in cap trouble. They have options to make enough room to sign Hopkins if they want him.

did you really just suggest they cut their 28 year old all-pro defensive leader & team captain for a 31 year old receiver? and they get no relief from a restructure, as there are no more years to split the bonus monies out over... cut or extend him to the tune of 25 to 30 m a year... im sure they can work him an equitable extension with their $650,000 in cap space...

as for cutting him - im all for that... would rather have a shot at chris jones than deandre hopkins

Last edited:
He said he didn't want to play with Mac Jones or Bailey Jappe. There are 5 QBs he says he would like to play with. Allen (Bills), Mahomes (KC), Hurts (Philly), L. Jackson (Ravens), and Herbert (San Diego). I would like him to go with San Diego. I don't think any have the Cap Space.

He had 700 yards (1300 yard 17 game season pace) in 9 games and 5 those games Colt McCoy or Trace McSorley was the QB
Yeah, I do have to say my "dude is done" is wayyyy over the top. I guess in my head it's a matter of how much money he's going to be getting versus what I foresee his production is going to be in the coming years. I think age is starting to catch up to him, and it's only going to get worse, especially since he was just caught with peds. If Pats pick him up, we'll probably have the top 2 WRs at ~6'2" with ~4.55 40 speed - I don't see TT or the rookies winning snaps over Juju/DHop, and I'd prefer their development over yet another FA pickup leading to the endless refrain of why the Pats can't draft WRs.

Something to note is Hopkins was 132nd out of 139 eligible receivers in YAC (2.5ypc)... actually much worse than Jakobi's (3.5) in that offensive poopshow, if that's possible. It has been argued though that YAC is greatly affected by QB play, but DHop's teammate Rondale Moore (all 5'7" 180lbs of him) had the best YAC (non Deebo division) for a WR last year. That being said, there are a lot of really good players in the bottom 20 of that list (Metcalf, MEvans, Olave). Note that JuJu was 5th for WR ( again - nDd).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST