PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeAndre Hopkins released (And Ongoing Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm torn on this in general. There are a few red flags with this situation that give me pause: Two teams have basically given him away, and his market appears very thin so far in free agency. He's also a slower, contested catch type of receiver which the Patriots typically don't feature well, and he's got reports of not being a good practice player. When you're trying to re-establish the fine details in your system, having your best WR not all in isn't ideal IMO.

That said, he is still REALLY good and would instantly become their best receiver. So if they think it's worth it, no doubt he's a boost to the offense. I just wonder if they'd be better served using this year to learn about Mac Jones, find out if he's the guy with a collection of good (but not great) weapons and then, if he passes that test, go all in on a big shiny toy next year when they've got a ton of cap space and a year of polish under O'Brien.
I think D-Hop is leagues better than Parker as a contested catch type receiver. Also Hopkins put J Meyers type numbers in 7 games last year I think Mac would look real good with him.

It's a bad market for WR in general this year
I really think the mad prices that WR's are now getting is going to start to come back a bit. EVERY year brings another crop of 20 or so WR prospects in the draft. For example look at all the excitement the drafting of 2 late round picks we got this April. The point is that WR position talent coming into the league is just so plentiful that at some point the market is going to adjust.

I would think that most people on this board would agree that at least ONE of the 2 guys we got very late in the draft becomes a productive NFL WR over the next 5 years. THAT's how deep the market for WR's goes. Don't forget that the "best" FA WR this off season was someone who wasn't even drafted at all.

Tennessee? Man his career may be ending the same way that Julio’s did.
Well D-Hop could be using them as his spring board I hope we have a visit lined up with him. That said Tennessee's QB's position is not looking good I hope that factors into his thinking.

like that term "widerights"...until they finally get over the hump that pebble will forever stick in their sandals (or is that L.L. Bean snow shoes?}
Forever indeed. A team loses four Super Bowls in a row every 32,768 seasons. The Bills losing four in a row may be the most enduring sports record of them all.

Last edited:
Hopkins wouldn't be my first choice for a #1 WR (not even close), but he is the best available on the market and a big upgrade from Parker (who he would most likely replace on the roster). Plus, he knows O'Brien's offense. So there wouldn't be much of a learning curve which is big when you acquire a receiver this late in the offseason.

I still doubt he would come here, but I would welcome him here for one or two years.

A few things.
  • - Meyers was the #1 target in New England. Schuster was not in KC.
  • - Schuster got hurt mid season and wasn't the same after that.
  • - Schuster had 465 yards (6.0 YAC average) after the catch last year. Meyers had 238 (3.5 YAC average).
  • - Here is the rest of the years for both:
    • Schuster
    • 2018 - 648 (5.8 average)
    • 2019 - 229 (5.5)
    • 2020 - 409 (4.2)
    • 2021 - 61 (4.5) He only played 5 games
Meyers
2019 - 114 (4.4)
2020 - 216 (3.7)
2021 - 222 (2.7)

It is quite clear that Schuster is a far better YAC receiver than Meyers. For an O'Brien offense, Schuster a far better fit than Meyers. Meyers catches the ball and goes down. You can hit Schuster in stride and he can pick up 5-10 or more yards after the catch.
Regarding YAC, Schuster is better, that's fine. I think Meyers is getting a little underappreciated as having been Mac's favorite target. We'll see how things gel for Mac and JuJu. But, I have a hard time believing JuJu is going to be extraordinary in O'Brien's offense with Mac at quarterback when he was just ok in Reid's offense with Mahomes. Kelce resides in KC so obviously he's the primary option in the pass game there but JuJu was the #1 targeted WR by far. If not for the production of the TEs and RBs in Reid's offense last season, they would have been in trouble relying more on their WRs. Mecole Hardman who missed half of the season was their top TD WR with 4. In total their WRs had only 13 TDs. TEs and RBs had 28 TDs. Only moderate production from the WR1 in a Reid/Mahomes offense is a bit of a red flag for me.

It's only a question of is he worth OBJ money (15 million for the year). I think signing "name" receivers does not accomplish much, unless they can command double coverage or take the top off teh defense by representing a true vertical threat.
At age 31, DHop will not command double coverage or represent a true vertical threat...so I think he is not worth that kind of money at this point in his career.

Could be to drive his stock up...maybe set up by his agent? I don't think he's made any visits yet. That's the problem when you become a FA a month before TC starts - there's no more $ left.

In an epic choke the Titans lost their final 7 games last season. I personally think Vrabel is grossly overrated as a HC. Henry is nearly 30 so that RB cliff can't be too far off. And I'm not sure who their "good" quarterback is... they employ two and one looks like a complete waste of time (Malik Willis) and the other is mediocre (Tannehill). It'll be a shame if Hopkins ends up in Tennessee, I'd much rather see him in an explosive offense with an upper tier quarterback. KAN, BUF, and BAL should be interested. CLE, JAX, and PIT (who may or may not have the requisite QB) should take a look as well. Again, I'll take him in NE in a heartbeat but I doubt it happens (specifically an O'Brien/Hopkins redux).

I personally think Vrabel is grossly overrated as a HC.
He’s this generation’s version of Jeff Fisher.
It'll be a shame if Hopkins ends up in Tennessee
Hopkins may end up like Joe Thomas who turned down a trade that would’ve sent him to Denver in 2015…who won the Super Bowl that year or Larry Fitzgerald, AJ Green and Calvin Johnson wasting good careers on really bad teams.

If he really wants a ring (most players don’t care), then he should be on the phone with contenders rather than waiting around.

Last edited:
Could be to drive his stock up...maybe set up by his agent? I don't think he's made any visits yet. That's the problem when you become a FA a month before TC starts - there's no more $ left.

Mac and the Patriots fits his criterias yess!
Pizza Yes GIF

Regarding YAC, Schuster is better, that's fine. I think Meyers is getting a little underappreciated as having been Mac's favorite target. We'll see how things gel for Mac and JuJu. But, I have a hard time believing JuJu is going to be extraordinary in O'Brien's offense with Mac at quarterback when he was just ok in Reid's offense with Mahomes. Kelce resides in KC so obviously he's the primary option in the pass game there but JuJu was the #1 targeted WR by far. If not for the production of the TEs and RBs in Reid's offense last season, they would have been in trouble relying more on their WRs. Mecole Hardman who missed half of the season was their top TD WR with 4. In total their WRs had only 13 TDs. TEs and RBs had 28 TDs. Only moderate production from the WR1 in a Reid/Mahomes offense is a bit of a red flag for me.

Look at his game logs from last year, you will see he was a pretty damn good #2 option for most of the season and slowed down towards the end of the season. He was awesome vs the Bills and 49ers. It was mid to late November where he started to fall off. It coincides with him getting a concussion vs the Jags on November 13.

It's only a question of is he worth OBJ money (15 million for the year). I think signing "name" receivers does not accomplish much, unless they can command double coverage or take the top off teh defense by representing a true vertical threat.
At age 31, DHop will not command double coverage or represent a true vertical threat...so I think he is not worth that kind of money at this point in his career.

we paid Agholor $12million just saying.....

We paid Agholor 11M/Yr.

If you can get him for 12-14M i would but i think people are nervous about how quickly he is going to fall of physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST