PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeAndre Hopkins released (And Ongoing Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it because now you can add void years when if traded you could not?

Ya him as a free agent opens it up to be much easier to give a contact that works for both. Trading for a contract it's harder to work the cap

Like I said a couple pages back im very torn on hop’s potential moving forth. I still think a 2 year pact is worth the risk as its not catastrophic by any means if it doesn’t work. Im sure it will have quite a few incentives to protect us too. We have the space for sure, according to Miguel’s twitter we’re at about $13m. We can easily trade or cut parker if signing hop too since he probably won’t be needed in that circumstance . That would put us at around $19m prior to whatever hop costs. Then of course next year theres tons of room.

Best case scenario- he becomes a legit #1 for us and exactly what our offense needs as a go to. Plus the domino effect- juju slides to #2 where he is best suited (check his work opposite AB). Bourne and Thornton become tertiary options where at least bourne should be able to shine. And boutte as a project.

Worst case scenario he falls off and isn’t worth the investment. You bite the bullet salary wise this year in a year where you probably weren’t competing for a title without him anyway and hopefully have some sort of out for next year where he wont set us back too badly. It could be the mid level type of splash that is suited for this team in terms of where they are right now.

Ya him as a free agent opens it up to be much easier to give a contact that works for both. Trading for a contract it's harder to work the cap

Then that makes it less likely he would come here.

I don't see BB working the void years game, so he can do something like 2/35.

Bill only made a move like this one time with Tom in their 20 years together trading for a 30 year old Moss. He then traded for a lessor name but good WR in Cooks in 2017. That's it. He's not going to sign Hopkins with the team he has now for what he's looking for.

I don't think it's worth it anyways as I see Hopkins falling off an AJ Green/Julio Jones cliff anytime now.

Then that makes it less likely he would come here.

I don't see BB working the void years game, so he can do something like 2/35.

I'd say it makes it more likely especially after last year. They have $122m free in '24 (2nd most) , $239m in '25 (most in the nfl), $295m in '26 (most in the nfl)

And they still have to have the cash on hand for every guarantee in his deal.

A better point would be void years.

Yes it can change. But the larger the dollar figure you need to change, the more difficult it gets. See the saints and rams as examples of the road kc is walking down.

Yes there is due to the guarantees.

Hopkins wants money & years added to his current contract, which is north of 20m aav.

Every team needs a playmaker.

He's redone his deal every year. Which is why next year his cap hit is north of 40 million.
KC is in cap hell with only $65000 to spend.

He's a 31 year old receiver who started breaking down ... So much so he's using peds (which I don't care about) ... But it speaks volumes... He's only got a few years left, at most unless he gets Alex Guerrero to share Brady's magic anti-aging elixir... Or moves in with Ashley manning
Hops is washed up. Who would want him?

Now, a game-changer has suddenly hit the open market months after free agency began. While Hopkins turns 31 in June, he's far from washed up. Following a six-game PED suspension, he made 64 catches for 717 yards and three touchdowns over nine games in 2022.

JuJu produced 933 yards in 16 games.

Now, a game-changer has suddenly hit the open market months after free agency began. While Hopkins turns 31 in June, he's far from washed up. Following a six-game PED suspension, he made 64 catches for 717 yards and three touchdowns over nine games in 2022.

Biggest part of the sentence was PEDS.
I’ve seen the story too many times when we give significant coin to a WR over 30.

Off the top of my head.

Muhammad Sanu
Chad Johnson Ocho Cinco
Reggie Wayne
Charles Johnson
Torrance Small
Demaryious Thomas

I know I’m missing some but we know how the story will go.

Chiefs and Bills probably going to make the biggest push for Hopkins...

I do think you're probably right, but I also question whether Bill would have made the draft pick + salary investment then. He hates paying twice. But just salary now might be more enticing, especially if he has the assets to outspend the other two (in as much as cap matters... which it doesn't).

I don't believe I said he was washed up... In fact quite the opposite :rolleyes:

KC is in cap hell with only $65000 to spend.
I didn't say they were in cap hell... I said they were approaching it...

They still need to rework the mahomo deal as well... He's already underpaid vs his competitors

We are out on Hopkins. Our only chance was trading for him and restructuring his contract with the Cardinals picking up a portion of his salary.

He is gonna sign with a contender for sure....Chiefs or Bills.

He’s only signing with them if he’s willing to take a way below market deal, both bills and chiefs are strapped for cap space

Instant Superbowl contender! Like a Moss pickup. Pull the trigger Kraft. MAKE THE PATRIOTS GREAT AGAIN!
Kraft has no say in Football operations like this unless BB goes to him for his OK. Like they did with AB because of AB's history.

He played one game with mcsorley where he had 1 reception on 10 targets. His catch rate was actually 73.2% with murray & mccoy.

Edelman won SB MVP at 33, Kelce was still elite at 33, Brown could still play at 32-33 before he retired mid game. I think Julio breaking down at 31 has people shying away from Hopkins but that’s early for a WR to decline. His game isn’t about speed either. I think he has two good years left somewhere.
Except he's given every sign of breaking down already. He's played 19 games total over the past two seasons.

Kraft has no say in Football operations like this unless BB goes to him for his OK. Like they did with AB because of AB's history.
On paper yes, but Kraft has openly been disappointed with this team's performance for years. We have THE toughest schedule in the NFL. Kraft is getting older. Best option for this season by far. Experience offensive WR veteran with a chip on his shoulder, PERFECT!

He said he didn't want to play with Mac Jones or Bailey Jappe. There are 5 QBs he says he would like to play with. Allen (Bills), Mahomes (KC), Hurts (Philly), L. Jackson (Ravens), and Herbert (San Diego). I would like him to go with San Diego. I don't think any have the Cap Space.
Depending on his financial situation, I would certainly agree with these choices.

Hopkins probably wouldn't come to New England because he doesn't want to associate with O'Brien again. Plus other teams have much better quarterbacks to entice him.

That said, the Patriots should make a hard run at Hopkins. He would fill out the WRs by taking the WR1 spot while everyone else slides down (where they belong). Acquiring Hopkins would also keep him away from the Chiefs or Bills, both of whom would be become obvious AFC favorites with Hopkins. Most defenses (including the Patriots) will have little chance of covering Hopkins, Diggs, and Davis (who'd become the best WR3 in the league).

Dark house team to acquire Hopkins would be the Ravens.

Is there evidence that Hopkins hated O'Brien? I see it thrown around a lot but just wondering.

If I'm the Patriots I would go for him. You want to win in the AFC east and get your QB back on track? Best way to do it is a guy like Hopkins. We have the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST