PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The unnecessary panic generated by the media is going to be the worst part of this pandemic, by far.

You have a .01% chance of dying from this virus (assuming you even get it in the first place), statistically speaking. That's just a bit higher than the odds of dying in a car crash.

The odds of you dying from heart disease, cancer, or an opoid overdose, are much, much higher. Yet the vast majority of people don't bother with adopting a lifestyle that help you avoid those things.

Life is weird, sometimes.

Heart disease, late-stage cancer, and opioid addiction cannot be directly transmitted from one individual to another; COVID obviously can, and is a crisis on a micro timescale which will afflict a large number of people in an incredibly short period of time.

Additionally, those conditions you mentioned often allow time for the afflicted to meaningfully improve their condition; they are illnesses, but in an entirely different ballpark than a virus that is very easily transmitted, catches people off guard, and progresses rapidly.

Does COVID have some absurdly high mortality rate, like 10-15% ? No. But the scale is the problem here, meaning an astronomical number of people are going to contract this virus in an extremely short period of time, overwhelming medical resources.

The best analogy I have is mortality rate from crack vs. nicotine. Which is acutely more harmful to the body? Crack. Which kills more people? Nicotine, because a lot more people smoke cigarettes than use crack. It's an incomplete analogy but the best one I have.

The objective information and data indicating why this is an extremely serious matter is all-around, you don't have to look that hard for it.

My belief is the spread will die down in a few weeks which is greatly accelerated compared to China because of our government (as bungling as they are), tech and medical superiority.
Huh? What makes you say this when no one has any clue how much this has spread because of lack of testing? None of the epidemiologists or scientists that study the spread of these deseases have even hinted at this. What I read based on 4 different models, this is going to result in between 200k and >1M deaths. That's not happening in a few weeks.

Is this just wishful thinking so you internally don't panic?

He reportedly told Biden to stand down and allow Hillary to sail to the nomination. This is when Biden still had a few brain cells left.
Pointing fingers at Obama at this point for ANYTHING represents diversion and nothing more.

And if you want to make fun of Trump supporters then realize they are no more ignorant than the Obama coalition, who looked just as uninformed and uneducated in 2008 and 2012.
That is ridiculous.

I will say that the reasons many of them voted for Trump in '16 were borderline understandable -- feeling forgotten by government, wanting to change business as usual, etc. But anyone still standing by him at this stage = blind tribal loyalty.

Pointing fingers at Obama at this point for ANYTHING represents diversion and nothing more.

That is ridiculous.

I will say that the reasons many of them voted for Trump in '16 were borderline understandable -- feeling forgotten by government, wanting to change business as usual, etc. But anyone still standing by him at this stage = blind tribal loyalty.
I didn’t want him elected and I didn’t like Hillary one bit either. I was optimistic when Tillerson was announced and it was all downhill from there. A couple positive blips along the way. The problem is Trump is bullet proof. A lot of people wanted the ******* president and they got their guy. @Jangles is a good example of truly blind and deaf faith meeting enlightenment.

I'm telling you that Trump has failed this - period. And he has. He lost whatever credibility he ever had (although how he ever had any is beyond me). in the same campaign stop where Biden was decrying the travel ban - which really made little sense in teh way it was enacted, he was calling for other measures to be put in place.

And of course it's politics - being the leader in a time of crisis is the very definition of politics. Want to see how Trump is doing? Compare testing in the US to South Korea and other areas - and we refused the WHO kits because...because why?

Trump downplayed it day after day. "A hoax." "It'll just disappear." We are weeks behind where we need to be, and months behind where we'd be if someone hadn't dismantled the Pandemic Response Chain of Command at the White House.

He's failed. Utterly.

By the way, it was the Governor of California that convinced Eiger to close Disney. Leadership from the White House has been...nonexistent.
Im not defending Trump. What this turned into wasnt anticipated by him. Just take off you're partisan glasses long enough to realize that pretty much everyone else were caught off guard as well. They were calling Trump alarmist and accused him of using it to further agendas. I can only imagine the outrage had he banned European travel inDecember and January. This is what politics does and if a Democrat were president you'd see the same rhetoric reversed by each party. Ive been through Presidential election cycles since 1972. Aside from being more divided as a country, nothing has changed about the way its played. Dont vote for him. Im not. But whoever gets my vote it wont be because what they did or didnt do in first few months of this crisis. If I used that as a reason then i wouldnt be voting for anyone.

Huh? What makes you say this when no one has any clue how much this has spread because of lack of testing? None of the epidemiologists or scientists that study the spread of these deseases have even hinted at this. What I read based on 4 different models, this is going to result in between 200k and >1M deaths. That's not happening in a few weeks.

Is this just wishful thinking so you internally don't panic?
I've seen a number of models. Best case, worst case etc.

I appreciate and respect what epidemiologists and scientists are saying but I do believe the measures a large % of the 300m Americans are taking

Everyone is staying home for a few weeks
No sporting events or public gatherings for a few weeks
Heightened awareness

I firmly believe the current rate of the virus spreading will slow down. Absolutely.

Will the problem go away? Hell no.

The problem is we don't have a baseline to prove I am right because a mass testing initiative is just getting off the ground.

I'm showing that so far the US is doing a better job at containing this than China.

sorry but i seriously think you are missing the situation...you are delayied then China...
you are really not following the right picture...

infortunately, and i do NOT hope it, USA will have the effects later on...

and, again..., i HOPE to be wrong...

Did the selfish assholes who bought up all the cold/flu medicine, toilet paper, water and cleaners vote for red or blue? Either way they have left my family behind to suffer. I don't care who you voted for. Loading the guns tonight....
Sounds like you got yourself a crappy situation there...

The left wing media is in danger of overplaying their hand here. They’re playing it like it’s the Spanish Flu. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people will die, says they.

If this ends up with numbers in line with the swine flu (10,000 to 20,000 dead) then it sets Trump up to look like a genius for having done such a great job.
Yes because the way Trump looks is what everyone should be worried about.

This is exactly why there is a lack of action and leadership at the top.

sorry but i seriously think you are missing the situation...you are delayied then China...
you are really not following the right picture...

infortunately, and i do NOT hope it, USA will have the effects later on...

and, again..., i HOPE to be wrong...

I'm looking at this in black and white terms...and that is the numbers. Anyone who is saying China is doing a great job needs their head checked. They told no one about it, punished those who spoke out, and wouldn't let any of our experts to help out.

Because of the lack of testing in the US (11,000 since this started vs 10,000/day in places like South Korea) we:
a) have little idea how many cases there actually are
b) have little idea how many people have died from it so far.

(b won't really be a problem for long, because going forward the severe symptoms are clear enough that when people do start dying from it in numbers it will be clear what to attribute to the deaths to even without doing a test.)
I think we still have a good handle on how many people died of it. When someone actually *dies*, there are coroner investigations, a cause of death, etc.

What we don’t know is how many people with mild symptoms have this or the flu or a common cold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference