PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carson Wentz traded to the Colts

If I'm reading this correctly, column 2 is prorated, so already fell on Philly.

Which means he'll average new money of just under $26m/year for the next 4 years, but becomes eminently cut-able after next year.
He has a 10 mill bonus in March. 2.5 per year.
he has a 15 mill guaranteed salary in 2021
15 of his 22 salary for 2022 gets guaranteed during this year.
So it appears cap hit year 1 is 17.5 but if you cut him after year 1 you have 22.5 dead money. But his cap hit to keep in 22 is about 24.5. He would then have 5 mill in dead money after 2022.
If he stays in philly he has 132 mill in cap hits left over 4 years. If Philly trades him they eat 34 mill of that.
So the team getting him has 4 years at 98 mill.
approx

assuming I am reading this correctly.

He had a bad season. He has been a very good QB his cap number is fine if he goes back to his previous level of play. Coaching play calling supporting cast may have had a lot to do with it.
Give me a better alternative. I will gladly pay real QB dollars for a guy who has proven he can play at a high level than get a slug for cheap.
If we were going to allocate this money to the position, wouldn't we have just paid the last guy? Not Cam, the other guy.

The other thing with Wentz...not sure it's been discussed in this thread: reports of ****ty leadership isn't good in the NFL where the league goes to great lengths to market a QB image. That $150M investment is supposed to pay off in marketing revenue. When you have a bunch of buzzing from teammates and then from the team's own coach, you have to think Wentz is a big headache. And he looks like Prince Harry, which to me is a total dealbreaker.

So then why would we want him, at his cap number, with his reported issues in the locker room, while having to send draft capital to the Eagles based on production from 2019... the majority of which came against some bad pass defenses? The objective is to get better at quarterback. Not suck moderately less. If anyone trades for him, it will be the Colts or maybe the Bears. Same systems, and familiarity will play a huge part. He’s not a cerebral enough QB to thrive in the E-P and makes way too many brain dead decisions.

EDIT: Didn’t see @KDPPatsfan85 post before submitting this. Guess it’s the Colts.
what's the E-P?

So then why would we want him, at his cap number, with his reported issues in the locker room, while having to send draft capital to the Eagles based on production from 2019... the majority of which came against some bad pass defenses? The objective is to get better at quarterback. Not suck moderately less. If anyone trades for him, it will be the Colts or maybe the Bears. Same systems, and familiarity will play a huge part. He’s not a cerebral enough QB to thrive in the E-P and makes way too many brain dead decisions.

EDIT: Didn’t see @KDPPatsfan85 post before submitting this. Guess it’s the Colts.
We have a different opinion of the player and what the patriots need to do at qb.

The other thing with Wentz...not sure it's been discussed in this thread: reports of ****ty leadership isn't good in the NFL where the league goes to great lengths to market a QB image. That $150M investment is supposed to pay off in marketing revenue. When you have a bunch of buzzing from teammates and then from the team's own coach, you have to think Wentz is a big problem.
A lot of players have issues with a bad coach and it ends there. But by all means give me a better plan that gives us a better chance to win now and long term.

If I'm reading this correctly, column 2 is prorated, so already fell on Philly.

Which means he'll average new money of just under $26m/year for the next 4 years, but becomes eminently cut-able after next year.
If he is not cut before 3/20/2021 (next month, which would have to come with the after June 1st designation because of Philly's cap situation) then $15 million of his 2022 salary becomes guaranteed and he is due a $10 million dollar roster bonus. So if you trade for him in 2021, you are going to have to pay him $25 million (all guaranteed) in 2021 and another $15 million in 2021 regardless if he is on your team or not. If he is on the roster on 3/19/2022, then his entire $22 million dollar 2022 contract is gararanteed.

He also has $5 million dollar roster bonuses due the first days of the league year for 2023 and 2024.

Nobody is taking on that contract for a guy they don't think can play! The only way he gets traded is if re restructures that contract with Philly before they trade him.

The other thing with Wentz...not sure it's been discussed in this thread: reports of ****ty leadership isn't good in the NFL where the league goes to great lengths to market a QB image. That $150M investment is supposed to pay off in marketing revenue. When you have a bunch of buzzing from teammates and then from the team's own coach, you have to think Wentz is a big headache. And he looks like Prince Harry, which to me is a total dealbreaker.
Yea my Iggles buddy that I talked to last week about their steak-head new HC said Wentz is a ****head. Thinks his poop doesn't stink.

That won't fly here.

If we were going to allocate this money to the position, wouldn't we have just paid the last guy? Not Cam, the other guy.
It’s not that simple.

Are you saying we shouldn’t pay 20-25 mill a year for the most important position? I’ll pay 35 if that’s what it takes to have a qb who can win SBs.
You can’t cut costs in your mist important area.

Yea my Iggles buddy that I talked to last week about their steak-head new HC said Wentz is a ****head. Thinks his poop doesn't stink.

That won't fly here.
Right it won’t.

If he is not cut before 3/20/2021 (next month, which would have to come with the after June 1st designation because of Philly's cap situation) then $15 million of his 2022 salary becomes guaranteed and he is due a $10 million dollar roster bonus. So if you trade for him in 2021, you are going to have to pay him $25 million (all guaranteed) in 2021 and another $15 million in 2021 regardless if he is on your team or not. If he is on the roster on 3/19/2022, then his entire $22 million dollar 2022 contract is gararanteed.

He also has $5 million dollar roster bonuses due the first days of the league year for 2023 and 2024.

Nobody is taking on that contract for a guy they don't think can play! The only way he gets traded is if re restructures that contract with Philly before they trade him.
That’s a very reasonable contract for his level of play prior to 2020.
4 years 98 mill with almost no dead money after year 2.

We have a different opinion of the player and what the patriots need to do at qb.
Definitely. Wentz is a **** quarterback. If you’re thinking about surrendering cap space and draft capital plus potentially a player to bring him in, it shows me that you’re panicking about the position. There are other vets available who aren’t locker room cancers that pout when they throw the ball into double coverage. You either sign one of those guys, or go with Stidham to see what you have and take the lumps that come along with it, while looking to the draft for a rookie to eventually take the reigns.

Panic trading for a guy like Wentz is what a loser franchise does. That’s why he won’t be coming here and the Colts are sniffing around him.

Who then.

That is the million dollar question. That is why there are 20 different QB threads. And you want me to tell you for what in return?

Random Instagram page seems to be piecing together two different reports.

“Aggressive offers” comes from Tim McManus (ESPN), but he never says which team(s). Mike Garafolo (NFL Network) says the Eagles and Colts “have discussed a potential deal.” There’s currently nothing saying that the Colts are aggressively pursuing Wentz.

Definitely. Wentz is a **** quarterback. If you’re thinking about surrendering cap space and draft capital plus potentially a player to bring him in, it shows me that you’re panicking about the position. There are other vets available who aren’t locker room cancers that pout when they throw the ball into double coverage. You either sign one of those guys, or go with Stidham to see what you have and take the lumps that come along with it, while looking to the draft for a rookie to eventually take the reigns.

Panic trading for a guy like Wentz is what a loser franchise does. That’s why he won’t be coming here and the Colts are sniffing around him.
Why in the world would you respond to my post that we have a different opinion of the player by telling me that i am panicking because of what your opinion of him is?

I am not panicking. I have said numerous times we need to get the best available player at the position. It may be wentz.

That is the million dollar question. That is why there are 20 different QB threads. And you want me to tell you for what in return?
Didn’t understand your last sentence.

my question is if you don’t like wentz, then who?

What will minshew cost pick wise as a possible bridge qb?

What will minshew cost pick wise as a possible bridge qb?
Why? He sucks.
What do you mean by bridge qb?
we have at least 60 mill of cap room we need a QBs who can win today. We don’t need to waste a season or more with a guy who gives us no chance to win just filling the spot and talking up space.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back