PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carson Wentz traded to the Colts

we

I don’t think that is correct. @Sciz just posted the facts.
philly will eat a lot of what the future cap hits currently show.

They can’t cut him because it’s a $60 million dollar cap hit.

iThey can trade him and then the team that trades for him is in the hook for all the yearly bonuses and guarantees.

Philly is already $35 million over the cap, so they literally can’t afford to cut him.

Guys I just thought about McDaniels should have extra work on him since he interviewed for the Eagles job.
He should know all about how to fix Wentz and the kind of offense to build for his strengths and hide his weakness’s

Such as?
17.5 and 24.5 aren’t massive cap hits for a qb. It’s what you have to pay, just a matter of whether he’s the right guy to do it with. Coupled with a 1st or high 2nd round qb draft choice, I think he’s be near the top of my reclamation projects.
If we’re going the oft-injured/bridge QB/reclamation route, I’d rather have Jimmy G, Alex Smith, or even Brissett or Minshew over Wentz. Wentz is toast and gun shy in the pocket. There’s also the reports to consider about how divisive he was behind the scenes. We can do better.

I’ll take Wentz. Hopefully, he can be salvaged. He doesn’t “suck”, but he has played bad football (in addition to various other aspects around him). He would have been MVP in 2017 if not for his injury & Brady. Price is the issue..

Last edited:
$10 million bonus, fully guaranteed, due on March 19 from the team that employs him on that day. Obviously the Eagles would expect a trade to happen before that day because they're already taking a huge cap hit.

$15.4 million salary this coming season, fully guaranteed.

$22 million salary in 2022, $15 million of which becomes fully guaranteed on March 19, 2021. The rest becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2022 league year.

So if you trade for him prior to March 19, keep him for the 2021 season, and cut him early in the 2022 offseason, then you paid $40.4 million for one season, but will be reimbursed on the 2023 cap for whatever he earns from another team in 2022 (probably just minimum salary). That's the nightmare scenario that needs to be avoided here.
Not to mention the absurd cost to get him.

I don’t think they’ll give up on wentz just yet

I could see it. Reclamation project and draft a qb early. If wentz turns it around he can be a stud. If not you can cut him lose, maybe for nothing which is why I’m asking, when you turn it over to the rookie.
His 2021 salary is 15 mill. Thank gives users close to 50 to build a team around him and if he sucks he’s gone and we have a rookie we are developing.
Should come cheap in trade cost.

This is almost as good as my Cam idea.

If we’re going the oft-injured/bridge QB/reclamation route, I’d rather have Jimmy G, Alex Smith, or even Brissett or Minshew over Wentz. Wentz is toast and gun shy in the pocket. There’s also the reports to consider about how divisive he was behind the scenes. We can do better.
Smith is too old and broken down. Brissett just isn’t any good. Wentz or Jimmy g have the most upside. They have both been very good qbs.
That’s my choice at the moment at least. I want a guy with a shot to be the man and a rookie waiting in the wings.

I’d rather see us draft a QB with the #15 or move up and sign this guy...
View attachment 30137Get it done Bill!

There would be something beautiful about winning with a guy who's started for every other AFCE team. The tears of Jets fans alone would season my Ambrosia for years to come.

But in reality, if you got frustrated by Cam Newton's inconsistency this year, Fitz will drive you to the brink of madness.

Could say the same about Wentz, he’s a scrub. Fitz is a cheaper scrub if we’re going that route.
Wentz has won. Fitzpatrick has been in the league 16 years and no team he was on has made the playoffs. And he is 38. And not any good.

There would be something beautiful about winning with a guy who's started for every other AFCE team. The tears of Jets fans alone would season my Ambrosia for years to come.

But in reality, if you got frustrated by Cam Newton's inconsistency this year, Fitz will drive you to the brink of madness.
The only thing he would be better than is newton. But given the choice of firing squad or hanging I’d chose to take neither and live

This is almost as good as my Cam idea.
Only with this guy you can have a real nfl offense with a qb who doesn’t bounce 8 yard passes 4 yards in front of the receiver. And you have the potential that he could get back to where he was when he was a top QB

Smith is too old and broken down. Brissett just isn’t any good. Wentz or Jimmy g have the most upside. They have both been very good qbs.
That’s my choice at the moment at least. I want a guy with a shot to be the man and a rookie waiting in the wings.
The rookie will be the man. We just need someone to mentor him for a year while elevating the team and keeping them competitive. Wentz isn’t that guy. Smith and JAG will be better fits in this offense. They’re more cerebral QBs and come with less baggage. Frankly, nobody who is available on the market is going to be the man, with the possible exception of Watson, who isn’t coming here anyway. One of Wilson (if he falls), Jones, or Trask will be the future.

If Wilson doesn’t fall, I’d love to go DT in the first and either trade back up or grab one of Jones or Trask in the second round.

They can’t cut him because it’s a $60 million dollar cap hit.

iThey can trade him and then the team that trades for him is in the hook for all the yearly bonuses and guarantees.

Philly is already $35 million over the cap, so they literally can’t afford to cut him.
The team they trade him to is in the hook for some philly eats some and not all the future is guaranteed. You’d have something like 17.5 and 24.5 in cap hits the first 2 years with 5 mill left in the books after that if he doesn’t work out.
Not a lot for an established qb.

The rookie will be the man. We just need someone to mentor him for a year while elevating the team and keeping them competitive. Wentz isn’t that guy. Smith and JAG will be better fits in this offense. They’re more cerebral QBs and come with less baggage. Frankly, nobody who is available on the market is going to be the man, with the possible exception of Watson, who isn’t coming here anyway. One of Wilson (if he falls), Jones, or Trask will be the future.

If Wilson doesn’t fall, I’d love to go DT in the first and either trade back up or grab one of Jones or Trask in the second round.
I want 2 options. I want a guy who could take the job and run with it. Has to be a guy with the skill set but has struggled or you couldn’t get him. More 1st round qbs fail than hit stardom so I double my odds. I’m fine with it being Jimmy but no way on smith he barely has a functioning leg. No way he could hold up in a perfect world.

Wentz once was the man, that’s the attraction.

Only with this guy you can have a real nfl offense with a qb who doesn’t bounce 8 yard passes 4 yards in front of the receiver. And you have the potential that he could get back to where he was when he was a top QB

He was injured....... injured.....and benched.

"Upside" is a 40 million dollar pipe dream.

The team they trade him to is in the hook for some philly eats some and not all the future is guaranteed. You’d have something like 17.5 and 24.5 in cap hits the first 2 years with 5 mill left in the books after that if he doesn’t work out.
Not a lot for an established qb.

look at the notes in the OTC link, If he is on your roster on 3/15/2021, then $15 million of his 2022 salary becomes guaranteed. That contract is a non starter.

so cutting him after one year would not be an option.

He was injured....... injured.....and benched.

"Upside" is a 40 million dollar pipe dream.
He has played at the highest level and is young.
Beats settling for the worst QB in the league because he’s a nice guy and snappy dresser

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back