PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carson Wentz traded to the Colts

Wentz by far offers the single greatest near term (next 1-2 years) to get back to the Super Bowl of any QB who is available out there. Period.
Yes he had a terrible last year. I believe it was an anomaly. If you look at hi career as a whole, when he has been healthy he is excellent. He has a strong arm and is very accurate.
He simply needs to regain his confidence and improve his footwork and pocket awareness. He has potential to return to elite form.
I am confident that McDaniels could make it happen and if they sign a WR and a top tier TE, Pats could be back in business next year.

There is NO other QB who Pats could acquire this year (including Jimmy G) who has elite potential.
A 2nd rounder this year and a third in 2022 would get it done.

Make it happen BB

What will minshew cost pick wise as a possible bridge qb?

his cap hit is under 900k

i'm seeing speculation that he could be had for +/- a 5th......if he hit the market - but he's so cheap why wouldn't they keep him as a backup - i don't see any QB controversy building lol.....so if they did move him it would probably be because someone is willing to overpay

Wentz by far offers the single greatest near term (next 1-2 years) to get back to the Super Bowl of any QB who is available out there. Period.
Yes he had a terrible last year. I believe it was an anomaly. If you look at hi career as a whole, when he has been healthy he is excellent. He has a strong arm and is very accurate.
He simply needs to regain his confidence and improve his footwork and pocket awareness. He has potential to return to elite form.
I am confident that McDaniels could make it happen and if they sign a WR and a top tier TE, Pats could be back in business next year.

There is NO other QB who Pats could acquire this year (including Jimmy G) who has elite potential.
A 2nd rounder this year and a third in 2022 would get it done.

Make it happen BB
Agree.
wentz was leading candidate for mvp in 2017 his second year in the league when he was injured in December.
he was back on the field from a blown out knee by week 3 of 2018 and completed 70% of his passes, threw for 280 per game had 21 td and 7 Ints in 11 games while still recovering from the injury. (We know the tool it can take from 2009).
He had a very good year in 2019.
Something went wrong this year but he had a crap team around him and bad coaching.
There are few better alternative out there.

his cap hit is under 900k

i'm seeing speculation that he could be had for +/- a 5th......if he hit the market - but he's so cheap why wouldn't they keep him as a backup - i don't see any QB controversy building lol.....so if they did move him it would probably be because someone is willing to overpay
Or they just don’t like him

Or they just don’t like him
he's a more than adequate backup......under contract for less than 900k

unless he's a Qanon follower running for congress, there's little reason to move him this year, unless someone is willing to overpay......i think it would take something drastic like pittsburg moving on from BR for this to happen

Agree.
wentz was leading candidate for mvp in 2017 his second year in the league when he was injured in December.
he was back on the field from a blown out knee by week 3 of 2018 and completed 70% of his passes, threw for 280 per game had 21 td and 7 Ints in 11 games while still recovering from the injury. (We know the tool it can take from 2009).
Something went wrong this year but he had a crap team around him and bad coaching.

unless you can get a serious restructure of that contract, his 35mil cap hit in 2021 would seriously hamstring the roster rebuild that is needed, though

unless you can get a serious restructure of that contract, his 35mil cap hit in 2021 would seriously hamstring the roster rebuild that is needed, though
His cap hit wouldn’t be 35 mill. I calculated 17.5 others say 22.
35 is if he stays in Philly. If he is traded Philly eats 34 mill.

Why? He sucks.
What do you mean by bridge qb?
we have at least 60 mill of cap room we need a QBs who can win today. We don’t need to waste a season or more with a guy who gives us no chance to win just filling the spot and talking up space.
Well if my plan is to draft a qb I would like someone better than Cam/Hoyer to take the reigns until the rook is ready. I believe minshew although average is still better than what we rolled out at qb this season. We would be competitive while at the same time let the rook sit until he’s ready. (Could be 1/2 way thru next season and maybe not until 2022 if Minshew plays well.
Agree.
I’ll tell you what went wrong with wentz. Loss of confidence due to a porous OL. Once that first read was taken away he was done. Displayed horrible pocket awareness. If you trade for him you better have strong convictions that you can fix him mentally.

Well if my plan is to draft a qb I would like someone better than Cam/Hoyer to take the reigns until the rook is ready. I believe minshew although average is still better than what we rolled out at qb this season. We would be competitive while at the same time let the rook sit until he’s ready. (Could be 1/2 way thru next season and maybe not until 2022 if Minshew plays well.

I’ll tell you what went wrong with wentz. Loss of confidence due to a porous OL. Once that first read was taken away he was done. Displayed horrible pocket awareness. If you trade for him you better have strong convictions that you can fix him mentally.
I don’t buy that minshew makes us competing ever and wentz was good for 4 years because he only can throw to his first read.

It’s not that simple.

Are you saying we shouldn’t pay 20-25 mill a year for the most important position? I’ll pay 35 if that’s what it takes to have a qb who can win SBs.
You can’t cut costs in your mist important area.
I'm not saying anything, but the coaches are. From Ian O'Connor's book:
"[If] you gave us any of the top 15 [quarterbacks in the NFL], we could do it," said the assistant. "I don't think the coaches view Tom as special as everyone else in football does. [Owner Robert Kraft] thinks Tom is the greatest gift ever, but the coaches don't."
So, depending on which ranking you want to use, mid pack guys are in your 20-25m budget. The question I have is... are they going to allocate that or are they going to look for a contract like Mayfield or Mariota's, that 10m range, get middle of the pack production, which, based on the book excerpts, they think are good enough to win with.

I tend to think that they are not going to pay 30m for a QB. Just because everyone else jumps off a bridge, doesn't mean they have to follow. They are going to do this on the cheap.

I'm not saying anything, but the coaches are. From Ian O'Connor's book:

So, depending on which ranking you want to use, mid pack guys are in your 20-25m budget. The question I have is... are they going to allocate that or are they going to look for a contract like Mayfield or Mariota's, that 10m range, get middle of the pack production, which, based on the book excerpts, they think are good enough to win with.

I tend to think that they are not going to pay 30m for a QB. Just because everyone else jumps off a bridge, doesn't mean they have to follow. They are going to do this on the cheap.
First I call bs on that anonymous quote in a book by a guy known to hate belichick and trying to get attention.

And if it were true I guess they are saying something different after the debacle the 2020 season was.
You need a qb. Qbs cost.

Your analogy is a bad one. It’s like saying don’t own a house because it’s expensive and you can always live in your car.

Qbs cost a lot because it’s almost impossible to win without a good one. Living in your so you don’t have a mortgage payment is the same as losing so you can go cheap on the qb

Why in the world would you respond to my post that we have a different opinion of the player by telling me that i am panicking because of what your opinion of him is?

I am not panicking. I have said numerous times we need to get the best available player at the position. It may be wentz.
It’s not Wentz. Trading for Wentz right now is a pure panic move. You’re hammering the table for an expensive, bad quarterback with an attitude problem who we would also have to give up draft capital for when FA hasn’t even started yet and the draft is still a couple of months away. When, not if, he sucks a fat one, he sets the franchise back even further.

Moreover, the cap is going to shrink this season. Presumably, some decent to good players will be casualties. That may include QBs as well. Let someone else take on that albatross. Your Jimmy G idea is much better for a placeholder. We at least know he isn’t a locker room lawyer and he’s also shown the ability to be a competent starting QB within the same system. We have a near total rebuild on our hands. Almost every single positional grouping with the exception of the OL and maybe the secondary is a need right now.

A lot of players have issues with a bad coach and it ends there. But by all means give me a better plan that gives us a better chance to win now and long term.

A better plan than shelling out a bunch of money and draft picks for Carson Wentz? His teammates hate him, his coach just left because of the friction, he's been replaced by Hurts, and he had a 72.8 rating last year.

This sounds desperate.

The team needs to make sound decisions if they want to win now and in the future. So a better plan than yours is to stay away from this one.

$10 million bonus, fully guaranteed, due on March 19 from the team that employs him on that day. Obviously the Eagles would expect a trade to happen before that day because they're already taking a huge cap hit.

$15.4 million salary this coming season, fully guaranteed.

$22 million salary in 2022, $15 million of which becomes fully guaranteed on March 19, 2021. The rest becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2022 league year.

So if you trade for him prior to March 19, keep him for the 2021 season, and cut him early in the 2022 offseason, then you paid $40.4 million for one season, but will be reimbursed on the 2023 cap for whatever he earns from another team in 2022 (probably just minimum salary). That's the nightmare scenario that needs to be avoided here.

Looking at overthecap.com, he has $59M dead money pre- 01 Jun and $34M post- 01 Jun.....and Philly is $59M over the cap.

Is he a candidate that would get us picks (or players) to take him off their hands? Their dead money is unreal for them to cut players to get under the cap.

Comments:

1.) I thought the reason Lurie and Pedersen parted ways was because Lurie wanted Wentz to be rehabilitated? And also why Sirianni was hired (the Reich coaching tree), no?

2.) That being said, if we trade for Wentz...and fix him...his contract will be a bargain with the way QB's are being paid nowadays. And if he doesn't get better...we are gonna have to eat a lot of money.... it is a RISK.

3.) Risk or not....NOW is the time to trade for him, IMO....his price tag will never be cheaper. Honestly, I think the Eagles would do it for Gilmore and a mid round pick.

4.) Gilmore is our best DB, but he will want a raise for the 2021 season. He ain't playing for 7M...that much I am sure of. I'd love to draft Patrick Surtain Jr...and have him on a rookie contract vs. giving Gilmore a raise.

5.) And isn't Jalen Hurts available? Why don't we ask the Eagles about him? I think he can play in this offense.

Comments:

1.) I thought the reason Lurie and Pedersen parted ways was because Lurie wanted Wentz to be rehabilitated? And also why Sirianni was hired (the Reich coaching tree), no?

2.) That being said, if we trade for Wentz...and fix him...his contract will be a bargain with the way QB's are being paid nowadays. And if he doesn't get better...we are gonna have to eat a lot of money.... it is a RISK.

3.) Risk or not....NOW is the time to trade for him, IMO....his price tag will never be cheaper. Honestly, I think the Eagles would do it for Gilmore and a mid round pick.

4.) Gilmore is our best DB, but he will want a raise for the 2021 season. He ain't playing for 7M...that much I am sure of. I'd love to draft Patrick Surtain Jr...and have him on a rookie contract vs. giving Gilmore a raise.

5.) And isn't Jalen Hurts available? Why don't we ask the Eagles about him? I think he can play in this offense.
I wanted us to draft Hurts I felt the Eagles over drafted him but he’s played well early on.

Is he a candidate that would get us picks (or players) to take him off their hands? Their dead money is unreal for them to cut players to get under the cap.
If he were deemed unfixable, then absolutely. The media is really pushing the idea that he has tons of value because he's going to return to MVP form, but we'd have to see him actually get traded to see if anybody around the league actually thinks that.

Comments:

5.) And isn't Jalen Hurts available? Why don't we ask the Eagles about him? I think he can play in this off

They can’t cut him because it’s a $60 million dollar cap hit.

iThey can trade him and then the team that trades for him is in the hook for all the yearly bonuses and guarantees.

Philly is already $35 million over the cap, so they literally can’t afford to cut him.

It's not just him, Philly literally can't cut anyone.

First I call bs on that anonymous quote in a book by a guy known to hate belichick and trying to get attention.

And if it were true I guess they are saying something different after the debacle the 2020 season was.
You need a qb. Qbs cost.

Your analogy is a bad one. It’s like saying don’t own a house because it’s expensive and you can always live in your car.

Qbs cost a lot because it’s almost impossible to win without a good one. Living in your so you don’t have a mortgage payment is the same as losing so you can go cheap on the qb
My analogy in not wrong if you believe, as I do, that the Pats will try to do it their way as opposed to doing what everyone else does because it's what everyone else does. I do believe that they will have to spend your 20-25m to get a good QB, because that's what the market will bear. Whether or not the Patriots believe that is another story.

But to put this back on topic, from reports, Wentz is a bad dude with a bad contract. Pass. I am of the belief they will either go with a 10m dollar man like a Mariota or a rookie and let either prove that they are worth 25m before they tie themselves to a Wentz/Goff type contract and be stuck someone who underperforms or pay a Goff type ransom to get a guy who will perform at the level of the contract.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back