PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carson Wentz traded to the Colts

He was the mvp in 2017 if he wasn’t injured.
In 2018 while recovering he threw for 280 yards a game 21 td and 7 picks.
In 2019 he threw for 4000 yards 27 Tds and 7 picks.
show me 10 guys clearly better in those 5 seasons.

10?

there's a few elite guys that were better QBs

2019 he was 17th in completion percentage, 30th in y/c, 11th in QBR and he led his team to a 9-7 record....wins aren't a QB stat, but better QBs in the league that year: mahomes, wilson, brees, rodgers, brady - minimum......he was in that next pack with a bunch of other decent guys

he's a solid QB who is utterly overpaid.......

Wentz one of the top QBs in the NFL? LOL
I'm telling you I believe the book quote. I believe they think they can win with a middle of the road guy. I believe they had the GOAT without paying a GOAT type contract, which allowed them to spread out money among the rest of the team. I believe they have an economic plan which dictates that players over perform for their contract. At the very least, they have to perform at the level of the contract. If they do not perform at the level of the contract, they have to have a contract that favors the team moving on from said player. I believe they have a long history of not getting into chitty contracts. I believe that many teams over pay stat compilers, which drives the market for good QB to stupid money which the team is reticent in getting into, because too many of those guys are just as you said, stat compilers and not winners. As I stated earlier, I believe in the end, they are going to have to pay 20-25m to get a good guy. I am also telling you that I believe they think they can get a guy who is a reclamation project and pay him less than the 20m, and coach him up so the value (there's a familiar word) in said player is better than the contract. Pay him 10-12m and coach him up to a 25m performance level.

I am also telling you I believe you want to argue about it, when, at the base level, we agree that they have to pay for The Guy. I just think Wentz isn't The Guy.
So Ian OConnor who hates belichick writes a hit piece on him, never once speaks to belichick, and in order to make him look bad, lists an unsourced comment from an “assistant” about what he thinks other people think.
On the one hand you have that.
on the other you have belichick running the greatest dynasty in history predicated on having the best QB ever.

With those facts in front of you choose the unsubstantiated rumor from a guy digging to find negative comments and conclude belichick thinks QB isn’t important.

Can I send you a book about how money is the root of all evil and you can give me all yours?

Brady was paid at the top of his position. Every analysis, many by Miguel, prove that. The only math that made it look like he was underpaid was when you included his 6th round draft pick rookie deal.

oh and who was running the show when drew Bledsoe received the largest contract to date in nfl history?

10?

there's a few elite guys that were better QBs

2019 he was 17th in completion percentage, 30th in y/c, 11th in QBR and he led his team to a 9-7 record....wins aren't a QB stat, but better QBs in the league that year: mahomes, wilson, brees, rodgers, brady - minimum......he was in that next pack with a bunch of other decent guys

he's a solid QB who is utterly overpaid.......
2017?
2018?

Brady was not better in 2019 statistically, and surely wasn’t in the Secunderabad half of the season.

Not sure why we would argue that the guy right behind 5 untouchables is a bad idea.

Ok so he was let’s say top 10 in 2019.
In 2017 he was roundly accepted as the mvp if he didn’t get hurt.
in 2018 while injured he threw for 280 yards a game and a 3/1 td/int ratio

Except I am not hammering the table for an expensive bad qb.

Sure you are. You want Wentz.

I am looking for the best QB we can get and this is a guy who has been a very good qb then had one bad year. Your over exaggeration about his personality based upon minuscule crumbs of evidence that you repeat over and over illustrates you are grasping at straws.

What? He’s admitted himself that he’s a bad teammate at times. Here’s his direct response to a report that he’s a selfish teammate...

"I know who I am, first of all. I know how I carry myself. I know I'm not perfect. I know I have flaws," Wentz said, per Tim McManus of ESPN. "So I'm not going to sit here and say it was inaccurate and completely made up. I'm not going to do that. But at the end of the day, I will say our locker room is really close. If there were guys that had issues, in hindsight, I wish we could have just talked about them. But, again, I don't know how that all happened and everything with that."

His former coach, John DeFilippo, went on record that his relationship with Wentz was strained because he was too tough on him. Sounds like a natural fit in the film room at Gillette. Wentz was attacked by teammates on burner accounts on social media. There were reports that the offense was too complicated for him (something that we easy to see when you watch him). Then you have the most recent strife with Pederson when he benched him for Hurts. Now Pederson is fired and the Eagles are looking to replace him anyway. On top of all of that, I’m not sure how you think he’s a fit in this offensive system, which relies on pre-snap reads and being on the same page as your receivers. Perhaps you can expand on that for me.

We need a qb and we have at least 60 mill of cap space. Wentz contract would be about average for a starter.
Not getting a qb now you can win with is what will set the franchise back years.

What, exactly, has Wentz won? You’ve gone on record as criticizing QBs in the past because they haven’t won a Super Bowl. What has Wentz actually won in this league? The 2017 team won without him.

Getting a slug you can’t win with like Brissett or newton sets the franchise back. Relying on the draft choice as the savior sets the franchise back when the reality is a drafted Qb is much more likely to fail that win playoff games. Teams that rely on drafting a savior are the teams that never progress.

Could you remind me again where every single QB in the league came from? Because, as far as I can tell, they all came from the draft. This includes Wentz.

In rare cases it works but mostly it fails. We need both a qb we can with with, one who the draft choice may never be able to unseat and a draft choice as well. There is no room for not getting this right.

I’m good with Jimmy G in that role. I’m good with wentz. Wentz is actually cheaper.
Im good with any QB that I can’t see building a winner around and then I draft the future an because whoever we get won’t be a sure thing. Neither of them will be.

Then we shouldn’t have failed to sign the sure thing we had until 45 when he was clear that’s how long he wanted to play. We didn’t sign him when we had the chance to do so, made him a UFA, and he left. Now this is the list of trash we have to sift through in the FA pile...

Woof. If we’re going to go with QBs who haven’t won anything and will be overpriced, why not check on Prescott? Better physical tools than Wentz and he doesn’t have a history of being a locker room issue.

Just checked the press clippings. The two teams that I mentioned are reportedly talking to the Eagles about him. No mention of the Patriots whatsoever. There’s a good reason for that. Step away from the panic button and make peace with the fact that you’re going to be rooting for an also-ran for a little while as Bill rebuilds the team.

I can totally believe that a QB who suffers an ACL then becomes gunshy and basically loses it, especially if he's already been paid.

Wentz would not be the first QB who wasn't the same after such an injury

So Ian OConnor who hates belichick writes a hit piece on him, never once speaks to belichick, and in order to make him look bad, lists an unsourced comment from an “assistant” about what he thinks other people think.
On the one hand you have that.
on the other you have belichick running the greatest dynasty in history predicated on having the best QB ever.

With those facts in front of you choose the unsubstantiated rumor from a guy digging to find negative comments and conclude belichick thinks QB isn’t important.

Can I send you a book about how money is the root of all evil and you can give me all yours?

Brady was paid at the top of his position. Every analysis, many by Miguel, prove that. The only math that made it look like he was underpaid was when you included his 6th round draft pick rookie deal.

oh and who was running the show when drew Bledsoe received the largest contract to date in nfl history?
Cbs Police GIF by Wolf Entertainment

2017?
2018?

Brady was not better in 2019 statistically, and surely wasn’t in the Secunderabad half of the season.

Not sure why we would argue that the guy right behind 5 untouchables is a bad idea.

Ok so he was let’s say top 10 in 2019.
In 2017 he was roundly accepted as the mvp if he didn’t get hurt.
in 2018 while injured he threw for 280 yards a game and a 3/1 td/int ratio
In 2019 and 2020 minshew (who according to you sucks) also had a 3/1 td/int ratio. If I can get that production on the cheap while our draft pick sits and learns AND we use the money saved to improve other weaknesses sign me up for that.

Last edited:
Sure you are. You want Wentz.

What? He’s admitted himself that he’s a bad teammate at times. Here’s his direct response to a report that he’s a selfish teammate...

"I know who I am, first of all. I know how I carry myself. I know I'm not perfect. I know I have flaws," Wentz said, per Tim McManus of ESPN. "So I'm not going to sit here and say it was inaccurate and completely made up. I'm not going to do that. But at the end of the day, I will say our locker room is really close. If there were guys that had issues, in hindsight, I wish we could have just talked about them. But, again, I don't know how that all happened and everything with that."

His former coach, John DeFilippo, went on record that his relationship with Wentz was strained because he was too tough on him. Sounds like a natural fit in the film room at Gillette. Wentz was attacked by teammates on burner accounts on social media. There were reports that the offense was too complicated for him (something that we easy to see when you watch him). Then you have the most recent strife with Pederson when he benched him for Hurts. Now Pederson is fired and the Eagles are looking to replace him anyway. On top of all of that, I’m not sure how you think he’s a fit in this offensive system, which relies on pre-snap reads and being on the same page as your receivers. Perhaps you can expand on that for me.

What, exactly, has Wentz won? You’ve gone on record as criticizing QBs in the past because they haven’t won a Super Bowl. What has Wentz actually won in this league? The 2017 team won without him.

Could you remind me again where every single QB in the league came from? Because, as far as I can tell, they all came from the draft. This includes Wentz.

Then we shouldn’t have failed to sign the sure thing we had until 45 when he was clear that’s how long he wanted to play. We didn’t sign him when we had the chance to do so, made him a UFA, and he left. Now this is the list of trash we have to sift through in the FA pile...

Woof. If we’re going to go with QBs who haven’t won anything and will be overpriced, why not check on Prescott? Better physical tools than Wentz and he doesn’t have a history of being a locker room issue.

Just checked the press clippings. The two teams that I mentioned are reportedly talking to the Eagles about him. No mention of the Patriots whatsoever. There’s a good reason for that. Step away from the panic button and make peace with the fact that you’re going to be rooting for an also-ran for a little while as Bill rebuilds the team.
There is no reason to accept losing while you rebuild when you have at least 60,000,000 in cap space.
There is no reason to lose 3 years before you figure out you drafted Daniel Jones, EJ Manuel, Brandon Weeden or Mark Sanchez.

In 2019 and 2020 minshew (who according to you sucks) also had a 3/1 td/int ratio. If I can get that production on the cheap while our draft pick sits and learns AND we use the money saved to improve other weaknesses sign me up for that.
Jesus so td/int ratio is the only gauge of a Qb?

If you want to think Gardner minshew is as good as Carson wentz, it’s time to move on.

Jesus so td/int ratio is the only gauge of a Qb?

If you want to think Gardner minshew is as good as Carson wentz, it’s time to move on.

yeah I never said he was as good as wentz, but he is much cheaper. Allows us to spend at other spots while the rookie qb sits and develops.

Hint : it wasn't Belichick

Team Owner Robert Kraft, who contacted Bledsoe in Montana last weekend to get the ball rolling on negotiations, credited the quarterback and agent David Dunn for working with Chief Operating Officer Andy Wasynczuk for getting the deal completed.

Bledsoe a Patriot for life

PFT is now saying the Iggles are close to trading him....

Report: Eagles are "close to trading" Carson Wentz - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

They think its Indy. So they fired their Super Bowl winning coach because he wanted to get rid of Wentz, and now they are gong to trade him anyways? Its still a gianormous cap hit if they trade him, one that will make them uncompetitive at least for next year if they do.

So none of this makes sense to me, then again, its the Iggles.

Just heard he on the Radio Eagles are talking to the Bears about 2 first round picks and a starting defensive player.
I’m torn if I would do Wentz for a first and and Gilmore.
Im leaning towards Marriotts for a second or Gilmore or Trubisky for free.
Tru and drafting Mac Jones Or Mond wouldn’t be a terrible scenario.

yeah I never said he was as good as wentz, but he is much cheaper. Allows us to spend at other spots while the rookie qb sits and develops.
If you are giving up on the season what good does saving money do? Using wentz as the example if you sign a poor qb and commit to losing for 2 years after 2 years you are in basically the same boat as if you paid wentz and he failed. The players you spend the 20 million on did you no good during those 2 years because you had no qb so you have the 20 mill to spend back again in 3 years.

Trubisky intrigues me. I haven't watched a ton of his games (maybe I'll watch one tonight), but he seems like he could be a good game manager and haven't heard any noise from him when Foles was brought in. So maybe he is a good teammate and doesn't let his ego get in the way. If the Bears get Wentz will Foles be the back up to him again, like in Philly? That could make for some good talk radio banter in Chicago.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back