PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we root for Mahomes now?

I would be very satisfied if starting this upcoming week that over the next decade there was not a single repeat champion.

No I don’t expect the Pats to be in the running for more than one title I’ll change my mind if they somehow are.
I love how Brady prevented the Seahawks and Chiefs from repeating. Making sure him and the Patriots were the last team to do it.

People are flat out insane on this board. The amount of vitriol inspired over a discussion about great QBs is the stuff that would make 4chan users blush. I lose a little more hope for humanity every time I visit this board. Honestly, I'm not sure why I keep coming back.

Remember when Mahomes was a rookie, and he refused to do any endorsements because he hadn't done anything yet? We were all hailing him as a class act back then. Now we hate him becuase, what, he became good? I've been rooting for Mahomes since day 1 - except when he was playing the Pats or Tom Brady Bucs - and I still do. As fans who grew up and/or grew old with the GOAT, we should be respecting the hell out of what Mahomes is accomplishing. Are Bulls fans this insecure about LeBron, or Oilers fans this insecure about Yzerman or Lemieux?

8CA2AD4B-5BD1-4463-89DB-40D95FE51AA0.jpeg

this is why no Pats fan should ever root for this guy. you can find stuff like this all over forums, social media, and the mainstream media

of course a lot of the other comments are jerking him off over his amazing incompletions in a SB he got his ass blasted in

Late to the party. I don't go with the "hate the enemy" thing, but that does not mean root for them either! Mahomes seems like a nice guy, Full disclosure, I always liked Peyton. But no one more than Brady. [I understand if I am suspended for a while]

People are flat out insane on this board. The amount of vitriol inspired over a discussion about great QBs is the stuff that would make 4chan users blush. I lose a little more hope for humanity every time I visit this board. Honestly, I'm not sure why I keep coming back.

Remember when Mahomes was a rookie, and he refused to do any endorsements because he hadn't done anything yet? We were all hailing him as a class act back then. Now we hate him becuase, what, he became good? I've been rooting for Mahomes since day 1 - except when he was playing the Pats or Tom Brady Bucs - and I still do. As fans who grew up and/or grew old with the GOAT, we should be respecting the hell out of what Mahomes is accomplishing. Are Bulls fans this insecure about LeBron, or Oilers fans this insecure about Yzerman or Lemieux?
I hate the Chiefs. I hate Tyreek Hill. I hate Travis Kelce. I hate Mahomes's brother. I hate his wife. I hate their fans. I hate that ugly stadium. I hate the state of Missouri. But I do not hate Patrick Mahomes. I actually kind of like him while hating everything around him but being the petty Patriots fan that I am I still can't root for him because he will be seen as a direct rival to Tom Brady and I just can't have that. That being said we are watching a special talent play football and now I finally know what it was like to watch Brady as a non-Patriots fan. You are just in awe of some of the things he does but root for him to lose at the same time and I think in a weird way Chiefs fans should take that as a compliment but unfortunately most of them can't read.

Late to the party. I don't go with the "hate the enemy" thing, but that does not mean root for them either! Mahomes seems like a nice guy, Full disclosure, I always liked Peyton. But no one more than Brady. [I understand if I am suspended for a while]
Someone Reaction GIF

I'm not sure anyone disrespects Mahomes accomplishments or level of play. I thought this was a discussion about who to root for in the SB and since KC is already being talked about as a dynasty (and they very well may be) and Mahomes is being talked about as the GOAT in waiting, being Patriots/Brady fans it's natural to not want to see that franchise (or any other) take our place. As it relates to Mahomes, I respect his athleticism but just don't like his style of play.

Right now Mahomes and the Chiefs have it going on.

Mahomes is spreading the ball around more these days. He has transitioned to a Brady type game where you plug in new receivers and win with what you have. Obviously, it all has to deliver a Super Bowl championship or else it was a failed experiment.

No, however I do think he'll win his second SB against the eagle. No one believes Jalen Hurts can actually outplay Mahomes.

You have it ass-backwards: I couldn't care less about their fans but I root against the Maggot, Chumley & Kielce because they - and their fam damilies - All ****ing suck.

Not if Park Avenue has anything to say about it.
Why do you dislike Mahomes though? Because he is a great player?

I always root for the AFC team. Maybe it goes back to the AFL days. That being said, if it was the Ravens, Colts or Jets, I might have 2nd thoughts. BTW- the fact that its the Eagles makes it even easier to root for KC.

No it doesn't.

With comments like the one below, I'm not sure why you do either.

Even if Brady had 12 SB titles, and Mahomes had donated 200 million to charity, Pats fans would not openly root for him. Part of sports is hating and liking certain teams. It's what makes it great.

From what I can tell, most here do not hate the guy as a person. Nor wish injury on him. They just want him to fail on the football field. Way it should be.

OT, but ESPN is over the top with the Mahomes "GOAT" talk right now. I am a fan but I acknowledge it's ludicrous talk.

What does Mahomes need to do to become GOAT QB? It starts with 8 SB titles. Appearances do nothing. I don't care if he gets to 12 SB's and wins 7. Brady won 7. Including one against him. So it starts at 8 titles. Then, add on a few more league MVP's. In short, he is not winning 8 SB's. No he is not getting to 12 SB's either. Too much parity. Injuries. Randomness. Things change so quick. Brady was the exception to everything. It can't be replicated.

I believe Mahomes will be top 5 QB of all time once it is all said and done. But I can only go by what I have seen thus far. I can't predict if a major injury happens. The talent erodes around him. Or somehow another team in the division becomes some juggernaut.

Talent is a term used alot by ESPN & Kellerman. Mahomes is probably a top three talented QB of all time. Great. But that alone does not win championships. Nor does it have anything to do with top five all time. Actual accomplishments do.

Sorry for that. Just bugs me the stuff those guys come up with.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back