PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we finally stop pretending that Cam is good?

Hurley with a not particularly low level breakdown of how the fanbase is bonkers and he is sick of people saying Newton can't throw the ball.
It is essentially the counterpoint to that weird and incredibly biased thread Ian made at the end of the season.
Of course the bozos who should check it out won't because it won't reinforce wht they want to hear.
For everyone else it should give some optimism if Cam ends up being QB1.

My favorite part:
"As previously noted, Newton undoubtedly murdered a few worms last season. He also put water boys and towel attendants in harm’s way with some floaters toward the sideline."

To win the SB, all we need is to be a little better than this guy (and maybe BB to be BB):
59%Cmp, 12TD/11Int (no rush TD)
Playoffs: 47.9% 3TD/1Int/4Sks

My favorite part:
"As previously noted, Newton undoubtedly murdered a few worms last season. He also put water boys and towel attendants in harm’s way with some floaters toward the sideline."

To win the SB, all we need is to be a little better than this guy (and maybe BB to be BB):

who's stats are those? manning in the denver superbowl year?

Let’s see what Newton can do with some NFL talent around him. The Pats certainly look like a team that is ready to trade away a ton of draft picks. So maybe they move up for a QB.

im really not sold on anyone not named Lawrence.

Holy crap I forgot about that. Geez.

59.8%, 9TD/17Int (if we include Brock et al it's 60.7, 19TD/23Int)
Playoffs:
55.4% 2TD/1Int/9Sks

They're Trent Dilfer's from 2000, but that might as well be 1960 with the way the game is now compared to then.

Edit: Manning's Denver Super Bowl is a better example because it's more recent, but both of those teams had historically good defenses. Right now I think our defense will be good, but I'm not ready to declare them good enough to be what I will henceforth refer to as "Dilfer-Proof".

I know many of us already agree on this. But there seems to be this faction of our fanbase/media that defends him at every corner, basically makmental gymnastics to try and justify why he’s not playing well.

His throwing mechanics are terrible.
His mechanics have eroded so badly that it makes him look like he’s about to throw his shoulder out of its socket every time he throws the ball. He was never the most well polished in regards to this, but could make it up with his physical style. He’s just not that guy anymore and really hasn’t been that guy since 2017 for the most part, aside from those rare glimpses of him being healthy.

Let’s stop this nonsense about how we should be giving him an extension, or even entertaining the idea of bringing him back at this point. This style of football is not sustainable in 2020. It’s not 1973. We can’t do another year of this. He won’t magically get healthy for a full season. He is done.

Ditto with Brian Hoyer. Let’s look elsewhere at QB. Please.

Yes. I instead choose to pretend the Patriots had Brady in 2020 and won the super bowl. It is far superior to pretending Cam is good. I'm so glad we were able to trade for Evans and Godwin last year. Big moves by BB! Also Gronk coming out of retirement for another run with us was fantastic! We also had some nice D signings like David, JPP, Barrett and Vea.

Last year was a great year to be a pats fans!

*puts fingers in ears*

Lalalalala... LALALALALA! CAN'T HEAR YOU OUTSIDE WORLD!!!!

Last edited:
Yes. I instead choose to pretend the Patriots had Brady in 2020 and won the super bowl. It is far superior to pretending Cam is good. I'm so glad we were able to trade for Evans and Godwin last year. Big moves by BB! Also Gronk coming out of retirement for another run with us was fantastic! We also had some nice D signings like David, JPP, Barrett and Vea.

Last year was a great year to be a pats fans!

*puts fingers in ears*

LALALALALALALA... LALALALALA! CAN'T HEAR YOU OUTSIDE WORLD!
I LIKE it! But look out for @Actual Pats Fan ... he does NOT like the new-look unis. But he doesn't really believe in any NE uniform that doesn't have Bucco Bruce on it.

Our team now has solid starters and a little depth at all starting positions except qb and wr.

and while the wr room has a lot of number 3 and 4 wide receivers in it, our qb room is a Jets sized dumpster fire!

Over/under for Cam to be benched permanently for QB2

Week 5.5
hmmm

Do you think that Belichick disagrees? He has a 2-3 year plan. If one of our drafted quarterbacks starts after 5-6 games, why is that a minus?

It's pretty simple. BB gave Cam a barely non-insulting contract to stay as a break-glass default. He's not Plan A.
But, he's had a year in the system, was a good leader and teammate. If he takes Hoyer's mentor role, but could actually win a couple games if need be, then it's not a loss. Point is - can Stid prove he's better in the OTA's and Preseason? I fully expect BB to draft a QB, either going big in the 1st with Jones or maybe in the lower 2nd with Davis Mills. It just doesn't seem the cards are there to trade for Jimmy G or anyone in that caliber. So, I think we turn the page - as evidenced by all the big $$ weapons around whoever will be QB. Truth is, even Stid will be better than any rookie in year one. So, I truly believe the competition will be real for Stid & Cam - best option wins.

It's pretty simple. BB gave Cam a barely non-insulting contract to stay as a break-glass default. He's not Plan A.
But, he's had a year in the system, was a good leader and teammate. If he takes Hoyer's mentor role, but could actually win a couple games if need be, then it's not a loss. Point is - can Stid prove he's better in the OTA's and Preseason? I fully expect BB to draft a QB, either going big in the 1st with Jones or maybe in the lower 2nd with Davis Mills. It just doesn't seem the cards are there to trade for Jimmy G or anyone in that caliber. So, I think we turn the page - as evidenced by all the big $$ weapons around whoever will be QB. Truth is, even Stid will be better than any rookie in year one. So, I truly believe the competition will be real for Stid & Cam - best option wins.
It might be pretty simple, but I don't see the robust support I'd expect for that statement, so to me, it continues to look muddled and complex (until the probability wavefunction collapses and we know who plays what position.)

I get you that you think Cam's the "break glass" option, but isn't Cam -- by what we currently know -- more the emergency that causes you to break glass?

I think it's all fluid, especially given the character of the draft if you don't have a top 5 pick. That's why you get a lot of big veteran moves around the draft, that and team need to trade rights to guys for draft capital. But I'm still trying to get the Cam thing.

I'd love to really know BB's impression of Cam, his knowledge, what the med. team is saying, what he's picked up so far in the off-season, whether there was maybe a handshake deal to push off cap money he couldn't spend by promising but not in writing (in so many words) that we'll give him a landing spot in 21 no matter what. I wouldnt put that past BB either. You know, code words... "I dont have the money to bring you back as of right now, but I sure would be as happy to see your face in 2021 as I am now..."

Not sure what cap prob that would solve if that's the shape of it, I just have a feeling there's something weird about the bring-back.

Another possibility: we're risk-pricing him. You start with the idea that there's high upside IF COVID is a recoverable factor he still suffered from AND your med staff says there's only an X% chance that the COVID effects continue in 21.... Oh look at that, he blew up the balloon, okay that just dropped to Y% chance... you get it.

Anyway, I do think we have the firepower to get a middle of the road guy. I don't think we are trying to go big(gish) for Jimmy G, but what do I know. Made of glass anyway.

My favorite part:

So, CNKSW

It might be pretty simple, but I don't see the robust support I'd expect for that statement, so to me, it continues to look muddled and complex (until the probability wavefunction collapses and we know who plays what position.)

I get you that you think Cam's the "break glass" option, but isn't Cam -- by what we currently know -- more the emergency that causes you to break glass?

I think it's all fluid, especially given the character of the draft if you don't have a top 5 pick. That's why you get a lot of big veteran moves around the draft, that and team need to trade rights to guys for draft capital. But I'm still trying to get the Cam thing.

I'd love to really know BB's impression of Cam, his knowledge, what the med. team is saying, what he's picked up so far in the off-season, whether there was maybe a handshake deal to push off cap money he couldn't spend by promising but not in writing (in so many words) that we'll give him a landing spot in 21 no matter what. I wouldnt put that past BB either. You know, code words... "I dont have the money to bring you back as of right now, but I sure would be as happy to see your face in 2021 as I am now..."

Not sure what cap prob that would solve if that's the shape of it, I just have a feeling there's something weird about the bring-back.

Another possibility: we're risk-pricing him. You start with the idea that there's high upside IF COVID is a recoverable factor he still suffered from AND your med staff says there's only an X% chance that the COVID effects continue in 21.... Oh look at that, he blew up the balloon, okay that just dropped to Y% chance... you get it.

Anyway, I do think we have the firepower to get a middle of the road guy. I don't think we are trying to go big(gish) for Jimmy G, but what do I know. Made of glass anyway.
I don’t get the thinking that there are some kind of back door agreements, secret promises, or quid pro quo’s going in here.
It’s CAM NEWTON. HE SUCKS. NO OTHER TEAM WANTS HIM.
You can get a paycheck is all the enticement that is needed.
And God forbid Newton asked for something special. What is the consequence? Not having cam Newton. Who would care?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back